What would a Catholic version of BRTD be like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:16:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What would a Catholic version of BRTD be like?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What would a Catholic version of BRTD be like?  (Read 3963 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2021, 04:41:04 PM »

LOL this was a fun thread actually.

His name is Rod Dreher, he writes for the American Conservative, and he had a book coming out soon. (I know that Dreher is Orthodox, not Catholic, but a Catholic BRTD would convert to Orthodox Christianity too.)

You know I thought that originally, but I actually think now even more likely is that I'd convert to one of those non-Roman Catholic churches that are still in communion with the Catholic church, like the Maronites or whatever. Even if I did convert to Orthodox it'd almost certainly be like some small Middle Eastern branch instead of Greek or a "mainstream" one.

Eastern Catholicism is just about hipster enough for you, yeah! And the liturgies are different enough from what Latin Catholics and magisterial Protestants are used to that even the real you would probably experience them as cool cultural expressions rather than boring ritualism.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2021, 04:45:28 PM »

His name is Rod Dreher, he writes for the American Conservative, and he had a book coming out soon. (I know that Dreher is Orthodox, not Catholic, but a Catholic BRTD would convert to Orthodox Christianity too.)

You know I thought that originally, but I actually think now even more likely is that I'd convert to one of those non-Roman Catholic churches that are still in communion with the Catholic church, like the Maronites or whatever. Even if I did convert to Orthodox it'd almost certainly be like some small Middle Eastern branch instead of Greek or a "mainstream" one.

Eastern Catholicism is just about hipster enough for you, yeah! And the liturgies are different enough from what Latin Catholics and magisterial Protestants are used to that even the real you would probably experience them as cool cultural expressions rather than boring ritualism.

Of course it is (rather ironically) significantly more difficult for a Roman Catholic to convert to Eastern Catholicism than a non-Catholic, and even non-Christians.

Granted it's also hard to see the Catholic version of myself caring about such rules and would probably just start attending Mass at such a church and taking communion anyway.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2021, 04:54:52 PM »

Of course it is (rather ironically) significantly more difficult for a Roman Catholic to convert to Eastern Catholicism than a non-Catholic, and even non-Christians.

Granted it's also hard to see the Catholic version of myself caring about such rules and would probably just start attending Mass at such a church and taking communion anyway.

You don't have to formally switch from one rite to another to attend Mass, take communion, etc. I'm a boring old Latin Rite normie and I've been to Mass at Ukrainian and Maronite churches many times. Ukrainian ones have especially good Easter Vigils.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2021, 06:25:04 PM »

I guess he'd basically be whatever an American version of Battista Minola would look like?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2021, 05:29:47 AM »

I guess he'd basically be whatever an American version of Battista Minola would look like?

lmao

Maybe? Actually I have no idea what an American version of me would look like, because there is no real equivalent to my environment in the USA.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2023, 08:54:49 AM »

(Just ran across this thread again)

In Chicago, our catholic BRTD would probably be priest Michael Louis Pfleger. He’s got a hipster Christian outlook, he’s politically active, and he is a character in these parts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Pfleger
Wow, what an FF. I might still go to church if this guy were a priest here.
I have to say, this guy actually does not sound like my type, even if we ignore the sexual abuse allegations and assume they're false and the investigation's conclusion was correct. For example:
Under Pfleger's leadership, the community of St. Sabina demanded the shutdown of a number of Auburn Gresham businesses specializing in drug paraphernalia. His parish also campaigned for the removal of tobacco and alcohol billboards from their neighborhood. When billboard owners refused to cooperate in the early 1990s, he and others decided to climb ladders and deface the signs. He was charged with destruction of private property, but was acquitted by a jury in 1991.

Anti-drug paraphernalia sales would hurt my record stores, and I imagine today that would apply to those THC products I was a big fan of but as I noted to Dule haven't used in quite awhile...but still make big bucks for record stores. And anti-alcohol advertising, we've been over this.

(Honestly I do think billboards are trashy and ugly in general and wouldn't mind a law ala Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon and Vermont that just bans them entirely, but banning just alcohol ones would be completely unfair.)

Also his criticism of Jerry Springer and Howard Stern...both are/were liberal Democrats! Springer even was a Democratic mayor of Cincinnati.

I'll give him credit for this though, it was definitely awesome!

In 2007, Pfleger and his Saint Sabina parishioners erected twenty billboards across Chicago with the words "Stop Listening To Trash", followed by a list of "disrespectful rappers", which included Fat Joe, Lil Wayne, Nelly, 50 Cent, G-Unit, Twista, Snoop Dogg and Ludacris.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2023, 10:44:08 AM »

Anyway assuming I was still liberal:

Gloria In Excelsis Deo
BRTD     
YaBB God

★★★★★

Would you ever buy a car built between 2005 and 2013?
« on: August 8, 2023, 8:30:25 pm »

Absolutely not! No way would I ever wanted to be reminded of that creep Benedict XVI and the time he was Pope every time I drive my car!

I had a good deal offered on a model 2006 car a couple years ago but I had to decline. Now I'm looking for a new car and though there are some good cheap deals available most are older than 2014....I need to buy a 2014 model or later even if I have to pay more just so I can have a Francis car!
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2023, 11:00:55 AM »

Rereading this thread was interesting and fun.

Anecdotally, I've noticed some "all liberal/leftist, all the time" Christians (or "Christians") who are often (though not always) connected in some way to mainline Protestant churches, and who getreally into the liturgical aspects of Christianity, the Sacraments, etc. Furthermore, they I've noticed these people focus more on the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible, and certainly less on the Pauline epistles than bog standard evangelical Christians while at the same time, their personal beliefs are again, more left-wing "Woke" Universalist/"Multiple Truths" pluralism.

I suspect that some of this overlaps with the Exvangelical movement, as well as the hipster Eastern Christianity types that Nathan mentioned earlier in this thread and the "muh refugees" left-wing Catholics that Cath mentioned. I'm interesting in reading additional thoughts/anecdotal experiences from either of them here, as well as from RI and TJ.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2023, 11:45:40 AM »

Catholic BRTD would avoid going into dioceses whose cardinals voted for conservative candidates in the 2013 conclave.

I do wonder how that would work when it’s a secret ballot.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2023, 01:10:50 PM »

I would perform devotions to the Blessed Stacy Mary.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies