Ron Wyden
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:37:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Ron Wyden
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron Wyden  (Read 1001 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2017, 10:56:29 PM »

He'll be 71 in four years.  He's a career politician; in Congress since 1981, in the Senate since 1996.  He's had a substantive career in a long tenure in Congress.

If the Democrats are serious about challenging Donald Trump in 2020, they are NOT going to beat him with the flavor of the month.  Wyden is the kind of substantive liberal who can present as Presidential, and not a candidate that represents the tendency to pander.  And he'd be a first; the first Jewish President.  That would make his candidacy trendsetting.

One thing I definitely believe, as a strategist, is that if Trump is to be beaten in 2020, (A) he'll have to appear incompetent to the American people and (B) the Democrats will have to put up a candidate that oozes competence.  Wyden is such a candidate.  Tried and true was out of vogue in 2016, but it will be in come 2020 if Trump is viewed as having failed.  Wyden is the kind of candidate the Democrats should pick if they are serious in 2020.

Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 01:09:31 AM »

Wyden is pro-free trade, which could be beneficial in 2020 if Trump's policies fail. I love his pro-privacy stance against the NSA's mass surveillance.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 02:14:03 AM »

Wyden is pro-free trade, which could be beneficial in 2020 if Trump's policies fail. I love his pro-privacy stance against the NSA's mass surveillance.

Wyden is more of a "Fair Trader" than a unilateral "Free Trader", which is likely a major reason why he outperformed Clinton in '16 in Oregon, which has actually seen the most job losses of any state in the US as a percentage of the statewide workforce to "Free Trade" with China (3.82% of the labor force)....

Although I didn't vote for him this last time around, like many Oregonians concerned about his positions on trade issues and cheerleading for Clinton during the Democratic Primaries, and went for the Working Family Party candidate instead, I think he would make a decent candidate and good President, although personally I think Merkely has more of a populist bite and younger flavor he might not be seen as having the gravitas of a Wyden for example.... but who knows, just ask JFK or Obama if being young was a negative when it came to running and winning the Presidency....

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 02:22:52 AM »

By "oozes confidence", you mean he's boring right?

Dems need high turnout more than they need to appear competent, and "Appearing to be more competent than Donald Trump" is a requirement that I think 90% of the 2020 potentials already meet. Wyden isn't exciting, charismatic, or the kind of guy people will fill arenas to watch him speak.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 02:39:01 AM »

He'll be 71 in four years.  He's a career politician; in Congress since 1981, in the Senate since 1996.  He's had a substantive career in a long tenure in Congress.

If the Democrats are serious about challenging Donald Trump in 2020, they are NOT going to beat him with the flavor of the month.  Wyden is the kind of substantive liberal who can present as Presidential, and not a candidate that represents the tendency to pander.  And he'd be a first; the first Jewish President.  That would make his candidacy trendsetting.

One thing I definitely believe, as a strategist, is that if Trump is to be beaten in 2020, (A) he'll have to appear incompetent to the American people and (B) the Democrats will have to put up a candidate that oozes competence.  Wyden is such a candidate.  Tried and true was out of vogue in 2016, but it will be in come 2020 if Trump is viewed as having failed.  Wyden is the kind of candidate the Democrats should pick if they are serious in 2020.

The Democrats will have to produce their own ideas if they want to win in 2020. They can't just run against Trump, call him evil and hope the people vote for them. They will need to focus on problems, whether it be healthcare, the economy or terrorism, and tell the American people how they will do it better. The executive orders have shown that Trump's team is pretty amateurish. The  lack of a green card exception for the muslim ban was ridiculous, and they ended up backtracking on it anyways. Democrats just have to show they will be competent, and have actual ideas to solve the problems that are out there.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 02:53:20 AM »

Wyden alienates almost no one. He provides a stark contrast to Trump, being a left-libertarian, not a right-populist. If Democrats want my vote in four years, they will put Wyden on the ticket.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 02:59:55 AM »

One of the more palatable Democrats to me (trade, privacy, supported SSM before the polls said it was a good idea), outside of that damn Iraq vote.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 07:30:04 AM »

Foreign policy is terrible I think (isn't he a big hawk?), but sure, give it a shot.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 07:38:05 AM »

Wyden alienates almost no one. He provides a stark contrast to Trump, being a left-libertarian, not a right-populist. If Democrats want my vote in four years, they will put Wyden on the ticket.
He alienates me for sure.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 07:38:41 AM »

Hence why he said almost no one. Tongue
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 07:40:31 AM »

Well I would imagine that he alienates most folks with more of an emphasis on economic issues than cultural or social ones.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 08:16:32 AM »

Well I would imagine that he alienates most folks with more of an emphasis on economic issues than cultural or social ones.

Yea, Wyden's not preferable candidate to me.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 08:22:37 AM »

Solid VP choice maybe, but whose VP? I can't think of any presidential nominee for whom Wyden would be a good choice. If you want a Western progressive, why not Merkley? I think Wyden is too boring to be at the top of the ticket.
mencken
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »

He will need to keep his tongue in his mouth to have a chance.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 10:20:40 AM »

Not seein' that.  Democrats aren't going to go with another seemingly detached politician.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »

I would be apathetic about politics if it focused solely on social/cultural issues. Wouldn't support Wyden.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 10:35:34 AM »

I would be apathetic about politics if it focused solely on social/cultural issues. Wouldn't support Wyden.

Because Wyden and Trump are identical on economics, environmental issues, and foreign policy?
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 11:08:39 AM »

Because Wyden and Trump are identical on economics, environmental issues, and foreign policy?

Clinton and Trump had literally no differences. Obviously Wyden and Trump would have no differences.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 08:30:29 PM »

Wyden's been a huge champion on healthcare reform and finance in general.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies