Did Trump lose the Alaska caucuses because he worships Vladimir Putin?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:15:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did Trump lose the Alaska caucuses because he worships Vladimir Putin?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Did Trump lose the Alaska caucuses because he worships Vladimir Putin?  (Read 1859 times)
UWS
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 01, 2017, 08:37:51 AM »

(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 06:45:28 PM »

It's a caucus. Trump did not do well in those.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 08:06:04 PM »

This is an obviously silly question the way it is framed from the beginning....

As Eharding noted, in general Trump did not perform well in caucuses, with the exception of Nevada and Hawaii.... One might possibly add Kentucky to the mix, as well, since it happened when the Cruz surge was starting to kick in....

My thought is that the timing of the caucuses played a roll in Alaska as well....

It was fairly early on "Super Tuesday" and while the Trumpster was playing hardball in the Southlands, where a good chunk of the delegates were at (Outside of Texas), Cruz was playing guerrilla warfare on other fronts and hoping that an evangelical surge in the South would boost his numbers and make him a real contender and turn it into a two person race.

Now what would the 15% of Alaska voters that went Rubio or 10% that voted Carson have done had the contest been held earlier?

My suspicion is that Cruz would still have won Alaska, and likely by significantly larger margins...

Why was Trump a bad fit for Alaska during the Republican primaries?

There is generally a strong "Big L" Libertarian strain that runs through the Alaskan Republican DNA...

My suspicion is that it was not just the Evangelical Christian bloc that rejected Trump, but additionally many fellow Northwesterners (Albeit Alaskans--- no offense intended Wink ) weren't necessarily so crazy about a Presidential candidate, not only lacking in judgement and experience, but additionally using rhetoric in campaign debates regarding "seizing Iraq's Oil".... In the eyes of many Alaskans, and not just those supporting the Alaskan Independent Movement, their Oil is currently being seized by the US Government, so that probably didn't play so well in places like Barrow Alaska, and elsewhere on the North Slope.....
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 01:55:31 AM »

Yes. Big league. As you can see in the map, he won the North Slope. Eskimos, they love him. They're like "We have 72 different words for winning. After you, we're gonna need 100!" The only people who voted for Lying Ted Cruz in Alaska, are the cucks who watch the lame-stream media saying that somehow, he wants to give Alaska back to Russia. Let me tell you, after the very rude showing they gave for their new president in the caucus, he might as well want to send them back. Sad!
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 07:28:36 AM »

No, he lost because Palin endorsed him Tongue
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »

No: Cruz had better organization, so he generally did better in caucuses. Also, Trump's admiration of and subservience to Putin wasn't as apparent at the time and only became so later.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 12:51:47 AM »

It's a caucus. Trump did not do well in those.

If I recall correctly, Alaska's caucus was more like a firehouse primary - it was run by the party, but the polls were open for a set period of time (3-8PM), and participants could cast their secret ballot and leave.  I don't think it was an Iowa-style caucus with candidate speeches, publicly caucusing for candidates, and the like. 

FWIW, the Green Papers called it the Alaska District Conventions, as district conventions were held after voting closed at 8.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 01:55:10 AM »

Yes. Big league. As you can see in the map, he won the North Slope. Eskimos, they love him. They're like "We have 72 different words for winning. After you, we're gonna need 100!" The only people who voted for Lying Ted Cruz in Alaska, are the cucks who watch the lame-stream media saying that somehow, he wants to give Alaska back to Russia. Let me tell you, after the very rude showing they gave for their new president in the caucus, he might as well want to send them back. Sad!

So Crumpets---

It sounds like you might have seen the House District level results in Alaska for the Republican caucuses....

I would assume that Cruz might have done well in MatSu, Kasich/Rubio in the SE Panhandle and parts of Anchorage....

If you, or anyone else could provide more detailed information regarding the Republican '16 AK caucuses it would be most interesting..... it's probably on another thread elsewhere, but it would be awesome to have a visual/data-based representation....

It might also tell us something about the '16 AK GE results if we mine the data and roll the good old compare and contrast    Smiley....

mencken
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 01:33:43 PM »

My multiple regression analysis of the GOP primaries showed that Trump did roughly 9% worse in caucus states than one would expect from a primary in the same state. In that light, that he managed to come so close in Alaska is rather impressive.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies