What would a Jewish version of BRTD be like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:11:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What would a Jewish version of BRTD be like?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What would a Jewish version of BRTD be like?  (Read 1027 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 10:45:08 PM »

Jim Carroll and Patti Smith both have some Catholic themes in there lyrics. I could see a Catholic hipster BRTD listening to that.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 11:11:51 PM »

Jim Carroll and Patti Smith both have some Catholic themes in there lyrics. I could see a Catholic hipster BRTD listening to that.

For some reason I keep forgetting that BRTD's scene is punk-derived.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 11:30:21 PM »

Maybe because he seems to unapologetically prefer modern punk which is a rarity.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 11:53:24 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2017, 11:55:43 PM by Voter #652 »

This is probably the most Catholic song on any record I own

Band members aren't Catholic though as noted before.

FWIW there isn't really much in the music I listen to that has Christian themes* that Catholics wouldn't object to outside of the SJW type politics, it's just that I tend to be REALLY stubborn when it comes to dealing with things I'm not in agreement with†. Hence why a Catholic version of me would not be "all liberal all the time"; I wouldn't be able to reconcile belonging to such a church and holding such politics, and would have a pretty hard fitting in the scene and listening to even Christian and Christian-ish bands from it, to say nothing of the secular and anti-Christian bands I like.

*It's not really very accurately descriptive to call it "Christian music" because: 1-That makes people think of CCM type crap, 2-The bands usually don't claim to be Christian bands, and most of the time they're not, strictly speaking and 3-Someone like Bushie would probably have a heart attack if he went to a show where some band was playing that he was assured were Christians only to see lots of people downing shots and then hear the frontman yell out things like "Let's get the f[inks] up!" trying to rile up the pit. Which has multiple times happened. Including once when the guitarist wore a black shirt that simply said "F[INKS] DONALD TRUMP" in giant white block letters on the front.

†Have you noticed?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2017, 12:04:11 AM »

FWIW there isn't really much in the music I listen to that has Christian themes* that Catholics wouldn't object to outside of the SJW type politics, it's just that I tend to be REALLY stubborn when it comes to dealing with things I'm not in agreement with†. Hence why a Catholic version of me would not be "all liberal all the time"; I wouldn't be able to reconcile belonging to such a church and holding such politics, and would have a pretty hard fitting in the scene and listening to even Christian and Christian-ish bands from it, to say nothing of the secular and anti-Christian bands I like.

*It's not really very accurately descriptive to call it "Christian music" because: 1-That makes people think of CCM type crap, 2-The bands usually don't claim to be Christian bands, and most of the time they're not, strictly speaking and 3-Someone like Bushie would probably have a heart attack if he went to a show where some band was playing that he was assured were Christians only to see lots of people downing shots and then hear the frontman yell out things like "Let's get the f[inks] up!" trying to rile up the pit. Which has multiple times happened. Including once when the guitarist wore a black shirt that simply said "F[INKS] DONALD TRUMP" in giant white block letters on the front.

†Have you noticed?

What denomination are you?  I thought you said you were an evangelical, which would likely mean that your church is against abortion?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2017, 12:30:10 AM »

†Have you noticed?

What denomination are you?  I thought you said you were an evangelical, which would likely mean that your church is against abortion?

I go to a non-denominational church. It meets in a Congregationalist church at night and is sort of loosely affiliated with them.

They don't seem to like abortion but aren't big on condemning women for it either and seem to have the same position as Rachel Held Evans expressed here. Everything political I've ever heard is condemning Trump, such as right after the election, last week after his executive order, and many times during the campaign, and pro-gay and pro-LGBT stuff.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2017, 12:35:25 AM »

†Have you noticed?

What denomination are you?  I thought you said you were an evangelical, which would likely mean that your church is against abortion?

I go to a non-denominational church. It meets in a Congregationalist church at night and is sort of loosely affiliated with them.

They don't seem to like abortion but aren't big on condemning women for it either and seem to have the same position as Rachel Held Evans expressed here. Everything political I've ever heard is condemning Trump, such as right after the election, last week after his executive order, and many times during the campaign, and pro-gay and pro-LGBT stuff.

Bizarre fact: There is a picture of me in the article that BRTD shared!
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2017, 02:05:02 AM »

†Have you noticed?

Bizarre fact: There is a picture of me in the article that BRTD shared!

Ha! I always knew that Hillary Clinton was an extreme Republican!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2017, 08:14:15 PM »

Can you seriously not hear the punk here? Like the founding band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge8ucvLYLRc
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2017, 12:50:56 AM »

Can you seriously not hear the punk here? Like the founding band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge8ucvLYLRc

...you know, this song isn't half bad.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 03:20:26 PM »

Part of my grudge against Gully was him responding to bit saying "those lyrics are real? Seriously?"
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 03:49:03 PM »

...you know, this song isn't half bad.

I'm liking it also
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »

YHWH forbid that there should be such a thing!  The Jews don't need even more unmerited suffering.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies