Opinion of "valid" as an adjective for people
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:39:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of "valid" as an adjective for people
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FA

HA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: Opinion of "valid" as an adjective for people  (Read 136 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2017, 01:36:36 AM »

This could just be because I have a tumblr, but quite often in the last several years I've seen people use the word "valid" to describe human beings, typically indicating a generalized approbation of some aspect of a person's identity. Implicit in this approbation is a recognition that disapprobation is in some sense a socially potent force, since this usage appears to be a back-formation from the verb "to invalidate". So, for example, one sees reassurances that Muslim women, or LGBT Christians, or autistic people "are valid".

I'm concerned about this usage, for a couple of different reasons.

The first is just that I find it obnoxious. The second is that in using this term so broadly--in couching any and all expressions of support or reassurance towards members of [group X] as "[group X] is/are valid"--people disempower themselves from being able to identify what, specifically, is at stake or under dispute. Is it the veracity of a truth claim? The meaningfulness of a descriptor or categorization? The morality of a behavior? Reducing all questions of, say, homophobia to whether or not gay people "are valid" would seem like it would tend to obscure potentially difficult conversations about what kinds of homophobia are out there and how they manifest; same with autistic people "being valid" and conversations about neurological/mental health bias.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 01:47:41 AM »

I hadn't noticed it that much (not having tumblr and all), but yeah, it's yet another example of social justice language being correct yet unhelpful to political discourse.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies