Diplomatic Mission Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:32:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Diplomatic Mission Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Diplomatic Mission Bill  (Read 2477 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2005, 07:07:47 PM »
« edited: July 22, 2005, 07:16:00 PM by Emsworth »

Diplomatic Mission Bill

1. The President of Atlasia shall have power to negoitiate Treaties and establish diplomatic relations with other micronations or forums, but such Treaties and relations shall only have effect where ratified by the Senate.

2. The President may appoint Ambassadors to foreign nations to help facilitate relations between the said nation and the Republic of Atlasia. These said Ambassadors must be confirmed with the advice and consent of a majority of the Senate.

3. The Ambassadorship does not qualify as an Office under the Government of Atlasia.

4. The Presidential nominee for an Ambassadorship must be be voted for in the affirmative by a majority of the Senate in order to be confirmed.

5. The Ambassadors will report directly to the Secretary of State, who in turn will report directly to the President of Atlasia.

6. It shall be the job of the Bureau of Diplomatic Security (a sub-department within the Department of State) to protect Ambassdors in foreign nations. It shall be the job of the Marine Security Guard Battalion to guard and protect Atlasian Embassies in foreign nations.

Sponsor: Sen. Sam Spade
Note: Edited so that the capitalization of "Ambassador" is consistent throughout.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 07:12:55 PM »

3. The Ambassadorship does not qualify as an Office under the Government of Atlasia.

Because of this part I will vote aye to this. We have too many offices in Atlasia, so i'm glad this was put in.

Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 07:13:43 PM »

Because of this part I will vote aye to this. We have too many offices in Atlasia, so i'm glad this was put in.
Whether it qualifies or not, though, it still exists, and for all practical purposes, it's an office.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 07:22:05 PM »

I'm curious what section 3 means, exactly.  Does that just mean that the ambassadors are not allowed to make threads in which to put things they feel are relevant, as Cabinet ministers are allowed to do?  Ambassadors would still be government officials like everyone else.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 07:33:00 PM »

Does that just mean that the ambassadors are not allowed to make threads in which to put things they feel are relevant, as Cabinet ministers are allowed to do?
I imagine that it's for the purpose of the Constitution, which if I recall correctly provides, "No person may simultaneously hold two or more offices of the Republic of Atlasia at any level of the government." Thus, it becomes possible for a Cabinet member to serve as ambassador, for example.

But it could be argued that even if the Senate claims otherwise, the ambassadorship is in fact an office for the purposes of the Constitution, and that this clause is unconstitutional.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 07:42:24 PM »

Does that just mean that the ambassadors are not allowed to make threads in which to put things they feel are relevant, as Cabinet ministers are allowed to do?
I imagine that it's for the purpose of the Constitution, which if I recall correctly provides, "No person may simultaneously hold two or more offices of the Republic of Atlasia at any level of the government." Thus, it becomes possible for a Cabinet member to serve as ambassador, for example.

But it could be argued that even if the Senate claims otherwise, the ambassadorship is in fact an office for the purposes of the Constitution, and that this clause is unconstitutional.

Well, it could be argued that nowhere is the term "office" defined in the Constitution, although it also does not explicitly allow the Senate to define it.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 07:08:28 PM »

As the original author and Sponsor of this bill, the Vice President is correct. This bill was written so that a person could hold more then one office at a time, so if a cabinet secretary wishes to be said Ambassador he may. If you all want to change the wording thats fine, for more clarity I guess.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 07:11:49 PM »

Sounds like a bill that's worth something. I say go for it.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 07:20:17 PM »

Finally Grin
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 07:59:10 PM »

Looks fine by me.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 10:03:15 PM »

Suppose it looks fine.

I would personally like to see ambassadors that don't already have an office, so as not to put undue power and responsibility on one person...just my 2 cents there.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 10:22:37 PM »

Suppose it looks fine.

I would personally like to see ambassadors that don't already have an office, so as not to put undue power and responsibility on one person...just my 2 cents there.

I would also like to see more people getting involved in fantasy politics, but just incase we can't find anyone good, that provision is there.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 06:30:39 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=21109.0

Above was the original debate on this bill
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 06:48:51 PM »

Thanks Peter.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 04:45:17 PM »

after having reviewed the other micronations, they're all way too complex and insist on a set of rules that I believe would make the game less fun, in bilateral diplomacy.

Whilst at first the idea seems cool, if it means changing Atlasia (and it does) then I am strongly against this bill.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 07:54:33 PM »

after having reviewed the other micronations, they're all way too complex and insist on a set of rules that I believe would make the game less fun, in bilateral diplomacy.

Whilst at first the idea seems cool, if it means changing Atlasia (and it does) then I am strongly against this bill.

This is just an area where we can afford to be picky.  Cheesy
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 07:56:27 PM »

There has been no debate by a Senator for more than 24 hours, and the minimum 72-hour period of debate has expired.

The question is on final passage of the bill. All those in favor, say Aye; those opposed, say No.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 08:27:59 PM »

Aye
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 08:34:23 PM »

Aye.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2005, 09:25:58 PM »

Aye
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2005, 10:49:10 PM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2005, 06:39:37 AM »

Aye
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2005, 06:47:03 AM »

I have some lingering doubts about how diplomacy would play out, but I'll trust our officials not to commit Atlasia to something that would not be beneficial to us.

Aye.

This bill now has enough votes to pass; senators now have 24 hours to change their vote.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2005, 07:54:44 AM »

W00000000000t Grin
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2005, 08:12:15 PM »

I thank the members of this body for there support on this up and coming issue in our great nation.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies