Trump warns Israel: Stop announcing new settlements
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:01:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump warns Israel: Stop announcing new settlements
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Trump warns Israel: Stop announcing new settlements  (Read 1698 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2017, 11:04:53 PM »

It does seem as if the Trump admin didn't understand the specific national context in which the last couple thousand of houses were announced; they were necessary to pacify the Jewish Home in the face of the shameful eviction of Amona.

So to make up for returning stolen Palestinian land, new settlements had to be built?  Stealing more Arab land isn't conductive to an eventual distant peace, be it a two-state or one-state resolution.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2017, 11:05:57 PM »

It does seem as if the Trump admin didn't understand the specific national context in which the last couple thousand of houses were announced; they were necessary to pacify the Jewish Home in the face of the shameful eviction of Amona.

So to make up for returning stolen Palestinian land, new settlements had to be built?  Stealing more Arab land isn't conductive to an eventual distant peace, be it a two-state or one-state resolution.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2017, 11:11:55 PM »

For the record, Trump does want to negotiate a deal, and settlement construction will have to halt in order for there to be talks, at least temporarily. The difference is that I expect Trump will actually expect to see movement from both sides when negotiating, which will change the balance of these talks significantly.

and bill clinton and bush didn't want to see movement?

I remember when Clinton announced before the start of negotiations that he would hold the Israelis responsible if talks failed.

When only one side is willing to move, it's tempting to ask them to move twice as much.

Source? Because he ultimately blamed Arafat.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2017, 12:26:51 AM »

The Jewish state will die when a two state solution dies, and Jews are overwhelmed in their own "single state" by Palestinian population growth.
This myth won't die, will it?
How is it wrong?
Arab birthrate (outside Gaza) going down, Jewish birthrate going up (mainly due to insane Haredi population growth). It's clear Israel in 100 years will look like absolutely nothing we know, but it's not at all clear it will not be a Jewish state.

I'm speaking for many secular Israelis when I say this- we will not be a part of your Middle Eastern hellhole. We're going to fight back and try to stop this, try to save the prosperous Jewish State, but if you keep pushing an qgenda which will mean a war-infested hell where we are abused by both extremist Muslims and Haredim, we will NOT stay here. And the Jewish state is not sustainable that way.
Also, what you're saying here is basically this: land is far more important than people. I'll bring a possible end to the Jewish State, allow thousands to die and destroy everything the Zionist movement ever worked for if it means a few acres of hills. This is anti-zionist.

As for Trump's move- LOL. I'd pay to see the expression of right wing populists like Oren Hazan and Miri Regev.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2017, 07:32:03 AM »

So to make up for returning stolen Palestinian land, new settlements had to be built? Stealing more Arab land
Can't steal what's yours. And it's all ours.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2017, 07:40:53 AM »

So to make up for returning stolen Palestinian land, new settlements had to be built? Stealing more Arab land

How disgusting.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2017, 10:03:54 AM »

Well, I hope the Trumpster means it. The settlement policy is a big problem and one of the main obstacles for a two-state solution, which is inevitable on the road to a lasting peace. Israel needs to end construction in the areas while both sides, but especially the Palestinians, must stop violent acts.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2017, 10:04:43 AM »

How disgusting. true.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2017, 10:53:03 AM »

Everyone completely misunderstood what happened here.

There was no reason for Israel to announce every single announcement of settlement construction. Do it quietly. This has been Israel's policy for virtually every other issue, so do the same for settlements.

Of course, I support settlement construction, especially in Unified Jerusalem and Area C. Obama and the Palestinians effectively killed the two-state solution.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »

as far as i am concered, hamas is a bunch of technocratic nazis and their subordinate groups are anarchistic nazis and the FATAH is a group of economically "liberal" and socially arch-conservative cleptocratic desk-sitting ex-terrorists, who are talking like hamas but not walking the walk anymore, cause the leaders know how much they need israel.

so well, i see both sides as screwed,...i just see the israeli side at least powerful and representative enough to cut a deal, while there is a big old power vacuum with the palestinians.

Obama thought like this as well and it did not get him anywhere. I don't see how this strategy would have ever worked in the Middle East.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »

Obama and the Palestinians effectively killed the two-state solution.

obama? that's just absurd.

human nature and an effed up map killed it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »

Exactly - don't announce loudly, just build.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2017, 10:58:34 AM »

Exactly - don't announce loudly, just build.

announcing is important to keep the more extreme factions inside your tent.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
« Edited: February 03, 2017, 11:05:58 AM by DavidB. »

Another important thing in the press statement is that it says they shouldn't build settlements "beyond their current borders", which, in fact, hasn't happened for a long time (disregarding undocumented villages also microaggressively known as "unauthorized outposts"); there is a LOT of room for growth inside the borders of these settlements. Much open space outside settlements is within their official borders. Expansion of that area isn't even needed.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2017, 03:33:51 PM »

Everyone completely misunderstood what happened here.

There was no reason for Israel to announce every single announcement of settlement construction. Do it quietly. This has been Israel's policy for virtually every other issue, so do the same for settlements.

Of course, I support settlement construction, especially in Unified Jerusalem and Area C. Obama and the Palestinians effectively killed the two-state solution.
With that I could live, though the special treatment for settlements costs a lot of money and that money us badly needed to stop the death of the Israeli periphery, especially the Galilee where I live. But insane spreading out of tiny "settlements" populated by a few families and a caravan? No. It does nothing but harm.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2017, 03:36:27 PM »

How disgusting.

That land does belong to Israel , becuase the fact is Palestine lost all their wars against Israel they started, and as a consequence lost some of the land which used to be theirs.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2017, 03:40:04 PM »

A broken clock is right twice a day.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2017, 03:46:02 PM »

How disgusting.

That land does belong to Israel , becuase the fact is Palestine lost all their wars against Israel they started, and as a consequence lost some of the land which used to be theirs.

I'll quote Amos Oz on this one:

"The right wing and the settlers tell us over and over again that we have a right to the whole of the west of the land of Israel, at least.  That we have a right to the Temple Mount.  But what do they actually mean when they use the word "right"?  A right is not what I really really want.  A right is not even something that I also feel really really strongly that I deserve and that it should be mine.  A right is something that others recognize is my right.  If others do not recognize it as my right, or if only some of the others recognize it as my right, then what I have is not a right, but rather a claim."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6unQLoQ4vE
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2017, 05:24:07 PM »

How disgusting.

Palestine didn't start any wars. That was other Arab countries, such as Egypt, Syria, and Jordan.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2017, 05:57:15 PM »

How disgusting.

Palestine didn't start any wars. That was other Arab countries, such as Egypt, Syria, and Jordan.

This is true. That's because there never was a Palestine. The land was colonial holdings for over 2000 years, and went from British hands to Egyptian and Jordanian hands during the ensuing wars.

As such, any state of Palestine, should it be created, would be a new entity.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2017, 05:58:29 PM »

Obama and the Palestinians effectively killed the two-state solution.

obama? that's just absurd.

human nature and an effed up map killed it.

Obama declared eastern Jerusalem to be a settlement and demanded that Israel essentially freeze it as a precondition to even start negotiating about what else would be surrendered.

At that point, Israel has no motivation to come to the table, because no deal can be reached. The only move at that point is to double down and prepare for war.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2017, 06:17:15 PM »

How disgusting.

This is true. That's because there never was a Palestine. The land was colonial holdings for over 2000 years, and went from British hands to Egyptian and Jordanian hands during the ensuing wars.

As such, any state of Palestine, should it be created, would be a new entity.

This is true. Aditionally, the Arabs living in the British Mandate of Palestine DID declare an all-out, genocidal war against the newly created Israel.
In any case, that doesn't change the fact that the single biggest threat on Israel's existence is a demographic one, so I hope Trump is serious about doing something.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies