Significant legal immigration reduction, not likely to happen
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:52:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Significant legal immigration reduction, not likely to happen
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Significant legal immigration reduction, not likely to happen  (Read 467 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »

While Pres. Trump is chipping away at some aspects of the whole immigration structure into the US, there isn't much he can do without congressional approval to make wholesale reductions in the overall 1 million or so legal immigration numbers coming into the US on annual basis. He could try some far reaching EO to do this, but I don't think it would pass a court challenge.
   In terms of congress, I just don't see enough GOP unity to pass a big reduction bill, which would probably consist of abolishing the visa lottery, clamp down on H1 visas, and reduce family reunification possibilities.  There would be little or no Dem support for such measures (different than in 1995 when about 20 mostly southern House Dems did vote for the last big attempt at this), and there are enough Mccain, Graham, Tillis types out there who if anything support even higher amounts of legal immigration.
   So, on this central component of demographic change in the US, which is a key component in expanding the future mass basis of the Democratic party and in building up the coalition of the ascendant, I just don't see the chance for a Trumpist victory. Perhaps something for despondent Democrats to keep in mind when they are depressed at the current political landscape.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:05:45 PM »

"coalition of the ascendant" = LOL. Winning elections is a little more complicated than that.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 07:06:40 PM »

I actually wouldn't be against wholesale legal immigration reform (disclosure: my parents immigrated from Sweden in the late 1980s before I was born)

Imitating Canada's system would be best, IMO. Figure a society that has made multiculturalism work should be closely observed
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 07:09:02 PM »

Wouldn't Republicans get behind abolishing the visa lottery?
pikachu
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 07:19:15 PM »

I think it might happen, but it's important to remember that people are mostly fine with the amount of legal immigrants in the country. The climate around legal immigration in the US isn't what it is in Europe.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 12:46:48 AM »

I think it might happen, but it's important to remember that people are mostly fine with the amount of legal immigrants in the country. The climate around legal immigration in the US isn't what it is in Europe.

Not really.

I think people either oppose immigration or they support it. People who say "I oppose illegal immigration but support people who come here the right way" are just 1) attempting to sound moderate 2) don't live in urban areas so don't realize they extent of legal immigration and are severely underestimating it. Conversely, the left (both the mainstream centrist Democrats and the far left) no longer make any distinction at all between illegal and legal immigration.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 12:50:11 AM »

"coalition of the ascendant" = LOL. Winning elections is a little more complicated than that.

Exactly. If Republicans/right wingers want minorities to continue voting for the Democrats, that is exactly what will happen. I support Ryan's plan on Medicare, for example, but I am not voting for a Republican in the near future unless they specifically oppose Trump. Fascism must be opposed at all costs, even if that means I pay 2% more in taxes.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 12:52:40 AM »

I actually wouldn't be against wholesale legal immigration reform (disclosure: my parents immigrated from Sweden in the late 1980s before I was born)

Imitating Canada's system would be best, IMO. Figure a society that has made multiculturalism work should be closely observed

I also agree with this. Illegal immigration needs to be stopped and the legal immigration system needs to be tilted even further to allow talented people who will be productive members of society to come in first. We don't need to bring in people to end up working at Mcdonalds.
rob in cal
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 01:34:34 AM »

I think going to a skills based system is something that merits a real close look at.  Right now a really big part of legal immigration is family reunification, or chain migration as its been called. Limiting that in combination with a shift to a skills based system would probably get a lot of support, but there is so much emotion involved in this issue, I could see it having a tough go getting passed.
   One thing that might get bipartisan support unless Trump bungles the roll out of it (a distinct possibility of course) would be H1 visa reform in which the wage that companies pay to the visa receipients has to be really high.  A high wage for the visa holders would prove that there is a strong demand for them, which is the very point of what companies have been arguing for.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 03:44:00 AM »

Not really.

I think people either oppose immigration or they support it. People who say "I oppose illegal immigration but support people who come here the right way" are just 1) attempting to sound moderate 2) don't live in urban areas so don't realize they extent of legal immigration and are severely underestimating it. Conversely, the left (both the mainstream centrist Democrats and the far left) no longer make any distinction at all between illegal and legal immigration.

no I totally support that, as I support expanding the amount of green cards and visas given  to immigrants but I also support Romney E Verify Plan
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 04:00:04 AM »

Not really.

no I totally support that, as I support expanding the amount of green cards and visas given  to immigrants but I also support Romney E Verify Plan

Why? Frankly this is just a stupid position. It's like saying you think people who smoke pot should be put in jail because it's illegal but you also want to legalize it. Is it just fetishism for the law?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 02:45:21 PM »

Not really.

Why? Frankly this is just a stupid position. It's like saying you think people who smoke pot should be put in jail because it's illegal but you also want to legalize it. Is it just fetishism for the law?

Because when you control who immigrates here, you can pick and choose who you want to come. If you choose a bunch of people who will create jobs or will have 6 figure salaries, America benefits because they pay into Medicare and Social Security without drawing on it anytime soon.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 03:16:55 PM »

Exactly. If Republicans/right wingers want minorities to continue voting for the Democrats, that is exactly what will happen. I support Ryan's plan on Medicare, for example, but I am not voting for a Republican in the near future unless they specifically oppose Trump. Fascism must be opposed at all costs, even if that means I pay 2% more in taxes.

There's a reason why turnout was crummy this time around and Gary Johnson got over 3%. Too many people were dissatisfied with the candidates presented, and with very good reason.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies