Prez Trump says repeal of Obamacare could happen "into next year"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:49:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Prez Trump says repeal of Obamacare could happen "into next year"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Prez Trump says repeal of Obamacare could happen "into next year"  (Read 514 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »

I thought this was immediate Donald?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-obamacare-replacement-plan-could-take-until-next-year/
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 06:07:57 PM »

It's not happening I guess.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »

I'm not convinced that anything consequential will be passed.  Repeal probably can't pass unless "replace" goes with it, and it's likely that no single version of "replace" can pass.  So the whole thing dies, and Trump blames it on the Democratic filibuster.  I don't think he really cares anyway.  He had to advocate "repeal Obamacare" in the campaign because it was popular with Republicans, but he doesn't really care about the issue.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 06:14:02 PM »

I'm not convinced that anything consequential will be passed.  Repeal probably can't pass unless "replace" goes with it, and it's likely that no single version of "replace" can pass.  So the whole thing dies, and Trump blames it on the Democratic filibuster.  I don't think he really cares anyway.  He had to advocate "repeal Obamacare" in the campaign because it was popular with Republicans, but he doesn't really care about the issue.

And the lunch lady in Wisconsin that voted for Trump because he was gonna give her a raise and give her cheaper healthcare? 

This isn't so much directed at you as it is a rhetorical question for Trump supporting posters who think they'll just win win win right through 2018. 
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »

Given concerns that he might repeal without replacing, this is a development that people on the left should be pleased with.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 06:33:09 PM »

And the lunch lady in Wisconsin that voted for Trump because he was gonna give her a raise and give her cheaper healthcare? 

This isn't so much directed at you as it is a rhetorical question for Trump supporting posters who think they'll just win win win right through 2018. 

He's done more than I thought he would so far. I expect GOP fortunes in the near future will hinge on him convincing people he is reversing economic decline in the Midwest, whether or not it is actually reversed. Towards that end, high profile stories of saving factory jobs like the Carrier one late last year are very important for the Trump Administration.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 07:39:15 PM »

Good move. His supporters will still think he's keeping all his promises, even as he breaks yet another one. He really has free reign to just do whatever he wants with complete disregard to what he said in 2016.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 07:50:35 PM »

This is a very delicate way of saying, "It's not happening."

Next year? Nobody's going to want to deal with this crap during an election year.

And doing it during the second half of his presidency is risky because, like with the ACA, it's easy for opponents to define and demonize it before anything (good or bad) has actually happened yet.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »

It won’t end well for the GOP, no matter what. They have three basic options:

- Simply repeal without replacement: if passed, would cause big problems, including in red states. The damage will be blamed on the GOP.

- Try to repeal with alternative or minor changes: A serious replacement can’t get passed (is even complicated to design) because they don’t have the votes. There are many different plans within the GOP itself, so it is unlikely that any far-reaching one will pass. Dudes like Rand Paul for example will vote against too expensive measures. A minimal consensus won’t fix the problems, where we’re almost at option 3 below.

- Do nothing: Probably the easiest thing. However, the GOP has vigorously rallied against the ACA for more than seven years. If they sit back now and do nothing – with a unified government – their voters, Fox News, Breitbart and the Tea Party won’t take it quietly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies