Federal Judge Issues Restraining Order on Immigration EO
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:26:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Federal Judge Issues Restraining Order on Immigration EO
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Federal Judge Issues Restraining Order on Immigration EO  (Read 2812 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 06:00:35 AM »

This'll probably get Bob Ferguson elected Governor come 2020.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 07:21:05 AM »

It's not just permanent residents, but *any* person within the jurisdiction of the US has constitutional rights by virtue of the 14th amendment, no?  But yeah, what about people who are not *yet* in US jurisdiction, but applying to get in?  Doesn't seem so obvious that the constitution would apply to them.

They are dealing with US jurisdiction by the fact they are applying for a visa; doesn't that involve at least entering an embassy or consulate?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 09:09:23 AM »

SAD!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 09:23:33 AM »

HOORAY!

I just wonder if the ignoramus-in-chief will insult him via tweet.

From Saturday Morning:

The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 09:59:50 AM »

HOORAY!

From Saturday Morning:

The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!

yeah yeah...all talk, no action

Actually, the DOJ is seeking an emergency stay of that judge's order.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2017, 10:50:40 AM »

What's sad is the man baby that is apparently the President. And your bloodlust to keep out people who are already working and studying here. I remember when you were reasonable. What happened?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 10:50:53 AM »

HOORAY!

From Saturday Morning:

Donald Trump's defamation of James Robart as a "so-called judge" could be a first sign that his administration is soon going full Erdogan.

The difference of course is that Erdogan is actually pretty popular in Turkey, while Trump has the majority of the populace against him.

It will be interesting to see what happens when you go full Erdogan without the population's support.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2017, 11:13:11 AM »

What's sad is the man baby that is apparently the President. And your bloodlust to keep out people who are already working and studying here. I remember when you were reasonable. What happened?

My SAD! comment wasn't a serious one, sbane.  I probably should have used an emoticon afterwards.   I favor allowing those with green cards and proper visas to come and go.......I'm all in favor of extreme vetting of those wishing to obtain visas and even a temp ban on issuing them until we get our act together, but if you have one now, you should be allowed back.

Does that sound more reasonable?  Smiley
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  3h3 hours ago
More
 We must keep "evil" out of our country!

Oh shut up already Donald.  You're an effing idiot.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 11:29:28 AM »

My SAD! comment wasn't a serious one, sbane.  I probably should have used an emoticon afterwards.   I favor allowing those with green cards and proper visas to come and go.......I'm all in favor of extreme vetting of those wishing to obtain visas and even a temp ban on issuing them until we get our act together, but if you have one now, you should be allowed back.

Give it a rest...it takes 2 years of vetting to get a refugee visa

Source: My parents were refugees who came to the US in 1994

Gotcha, but it's hard to vet in the 7 countries on his list, regardless of time.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2017, 11:07:14 PM »

Yeah, that's certainly reasonable. I don't think it's out of line to want thorough vetting for people coming from countries where that may be hard to do. It's just completely inappropriate to screw up people's lives who are here working or going to school already. Maybe do an internal review of them? Maybe another interview with them is fine, as well as monitoring their phone and social media. What's wrong is suddenly pulling the floor out of these people and trapping them overseas with apartments, homes, cars, pets, family members etc stuck inside this country.

What worries me with Trump is that I don't know if this incompetence/inexperience or evil. I suspect Bannon and Miller knew exactly what they were doing and including green card holders in the EO was a part of their plan. That's what worries me going forward. It's not just this EO, but what this portends for the future.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2017, 11:13:46 PM »

More

Donald Trump's motto seems to be: when you have nothing nice to say, take to Twitter.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2017, 11:38:52 PM »

More

He failed to take your advice, and instead spent rest of his day proving via twitter that he is, indeed, an effing idiot.

How long before video or audio of one of his tantrums leaks?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2017, 02:16:10 AM »

The Pussygrabber regime is appealing Judge Robart's decision to the 9th circuit, on the basis that the President is immune to the judiciary. Not really exaggerating here:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-administration-appeals-to-restore-travel-ban-says-earlier-ruling-was-second-guessing-the-president/2017/02/05/6fcdbb5a-eb4c-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html

Given that the 9th is the most liberal appeals court, I'm looking forward to even more tantrums from the White House (or the Orange House, or the Dark Tower - wherever the whiner-in-chief is dosing up that night).
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2017, 06:13:28 AM »
« Edited: February 05, 2017, 06:15:25 AM by Meclazine »

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 10 hours ago
What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?

Because the ban was lifted by a judge, many very bad and dangerous people may be pouring into our country. A terrible decision

Why aren't the lawyers looking at and using the Federal Court decision in Boston, which is at conflict with ridiculous lift ban decision?

The judge opens up our country to potential terrorists and others that do not have our best interests at heart. Bad people are very happy!

But alas, our new hero President would be denied:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-05/trumps-travel-ban-appeal-denied-by-us-court/8242780\
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2017, 06:16:57 AM »

The Pussygrabber regime is appealing Judge Robart's decision to the 9th circuit, on the basis that the President is immune to the judiciary. Not really exaggerating here:

When the president does it, that means it is not illegal.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »

I don't think his restraining order will hold up, and thankfully, many of the visas that were already revoked will take months to get back if they even try. By then, hopefully, the President's order will be re-instated.

It is more important to protect American's safety than to protect the emotional feelings of foreigners. Safety first. Trust me, Trump has more support across the country than some on the coasts may think. The people freaking out about this never liked him anyway, so I don't get worked up about it.

FDR locked AMERICANS up in camps and Democrats idolize him. That was terrible. Saying we want a temporary ban on immigrants from certain countries is hardly that controversial.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2017, 09:47:03 AM »

I don't think his restraining order will hold up, and thankfully, many of the visas that were already revoked will take months to get back if they even try. By then, hopefully, the President's order will be re-instated.

It is more important to protect American's safety than to protect the emotional feelings of foreigners. Safety first. Trust me, Trump has more support across the country than some on the coasts may think. The people freaking out about this never liked him anyway, so I don't get worked up about it.

FDR locked AMERICANS up in camps and Democrats idolize him. That was terrible. Saying we want a temporary ban on immigrants from certain countries is hardly that controversial.

Since when did you become Russian?  I have to assume you did so given your extreme whataboutism.  The EO did nothing to improve our safety. If anything, the botched way it was implemented degraded our security.  I agree with you that our safety is important, but I see it as more important than the emotional feelings of cowardly xenophobes, overreacting to pinpricks. Even worse, the EO doesn't target the countries from which most terrorists originate who have struck the US while here.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2017, 09:53:19 AM »

Since when did you become Russian?  I have to assume you did so given your extreme whataboutism.  The EO did nothing to improve our safety. If anything, the botched way it was implemented degraded our security.  I agree with you that our safety is important, but I see it as more important than the emotional feelings of cowardly xenophobes, overreacting to pinpricks. Even worse, the EO doesn't target the countries from which most terrorists originate who have struck the US while here.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2017, 09:55:39 AM »

We don't know that for sure. How the hell do we know what comes across the desk of the President? Who are we to assume?

Why take the risk?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2017, 10:03:09 AM »

Even worse, the EO doesn't target the countries from which most terrorists originate who have struck the US while here.

We don't know that for sure. How the hell do we know what comes across the desk of the President? Who are we to assume?

We don't have to assume.  We have the text of the EO and know which seven nations it targets.  We know the nationalities of those who have committed attacks here.  These are facts and they show a complete disconnect.  I realize that facts are unpopular among the followers of the Groppenfueher, but they still are facts.  The last time we saw such an utter disconnect from reality, the US invaded Iraq because of Al-Qaeda. (Well not really, but that was the excuse that was given us.)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »

Even worse, the EO doesn't target the countries from which most terrorists originate who have struck the US while here.

We don't have to assume.  We have the text of the EO and know which seven nations it targets.  We know the nationalities of those who have committed attacks here.  These are facts and they show a complete disconnect.  I realize that facts are unpopular among the followers of the Groppenfueher, but they still are facts.  The last time we saw such an utter disconnect from reality, the US invaded Iraq because of Al-Qaeda. (Well not really, but that was the excuse that was given us.)

Yeah and the person who voted for that war was your choice for President last year. So whose hypocritical now?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2017, 10:18:37 AM »

Yeah and the person who voted for that war was your choice for President last year. So whose hypocritical now?

She changed her opinion and admitted her error; Trump denied even supporting it despite evidence.
EnglishPete

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »

And there is another good thing that has emerged from this. The left has shown its true colours. Whenever in the past immigration controls have been discussed the left have said "of course nobody is advocating completely open borders, we just have this excuse and that excuse as to why this particular immigration control shouldn't be brought in".

Now, when there is finally a President in the US taking decisive action to tighten border controls and they all start screaming

OPEN BORDERS!!!!! EVERBODY WELCOME!!!!!! BORDER CONTROLS ARE NAZI!!!!

Well we've seen what a disaster open borders has been for Germany. I don't think Americans will want that for their own country, no matter how many astroturfed airport protests and fake cryinbg Senators say otherwise.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »

Now, when there is finally a President in the US taking decisive action to tighten border controls and they all start screaming
If he'd targeted the seven countries that have caused the most problems, there'd be less screaming. If his "decisive" action was something that would actually make us safer instead of being a placebo for cowardly xenophobes, there'd be less screaming.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies