BREAKING: Appeals court denies Trump administration request to reinstate ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:53:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Appeals court denies Trump administration request to reinstate ban
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: BREAKING: Appeals court denies Trump administration request to reinstate ban  (Read 7228 times)
EnglishPete

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 07:00:04 PM »

I changed my mind. I want Kennedy and the four liberals to slap down Trump while Thomas, Alito, and maybe Gorsuch write a cowering dissent. I don't know where Roberts will come down on this; he'll come down on wherever he thinks history will. Most likely, I can see Roberts going "hmm, history is going to judge us for this. OK then, better slap down the President."*

*Roberts has a precedent for behaving this way. It's the only reason he upheld the ACA. He doesn't want to be the Chief on the wrong side of history, a la Taney.

History is written by the winners. If Trump achieves is goals during his presidency history will judge him well, and will judge this action of his well. If he doesn't then it won't.

Trump doesn't look like a winner right now. We'll see, but his own Senate Leader is breaking with him, his popularity is in the toilet, etc. We'll see if within a year or two, he decides to execute a u-turn to try to cement a more popular legacy, like Arnold Schwarzenegger did in California.

Also, Koretmatsu v. United States, (1944) contradicts your point. The Justices didn't overrule FDR because it was World War II (demonstrating how much a mandate to govern + a world war can give you immense sums of power), but later it was considered one of FDR"s worst transgressions, something even partisan Democrats acknowledge.

History could well judge that this action of Trump fits within the Korematsu pattern, thus declaring that Trump acted egregiously. I personally agree with this sentiment. The people writing history will probably be the millennial generation who voted against Trump en masse, as well as the most diverse generation in history. These people get to write the history and they can easily rewrite a win into a loss.

Trump should bear in mind that for his legacy. So far, if he goes down as a white nationalist President who acted in the interests of a narrow faction in American history, he will look pretty bad.

"History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte

History is being written right now by various people in blogs and youtube videos etc and there is absolutely no consensus as to what that history is

Of course under the present factory school system children are taught a set curriculum devised by academics who produce a consensus version of events to present to schoolchildren. This in turn is based on research informed, inevitably, by ideology. Since academics are funded by the governing establishment this ideology will be one acceptable to that establishment. So with the progressive and liberal bureaucratic establishment that has dominated the west since at least the 1930s if not longer you have an academia dominated by the same ideology.

If academia and the factory school system still exist in something like their present form then they will teach a version of history that fits in with the ruling ideology. Of course they may not need to exist in 20 or 30 years in which case history will be whatever is recorded as history, without necessarily any consensus on some points (although the then ruling establishment would be very likely to try an impose such a consensus to fit in with its ideology and may well have the tools to achieve this.).
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »

Trump saying if anything happens to blame the judges because the terrorists are pouring in now.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2017, 10:44:28 PM »

Trump saying if anything happens to blame the judges because the terrorists are pouring in now.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin - a man who actually helped make American great.

Truck Fump.
EnglishPete

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin - a man who actually helped make American great.

Truck Fump.
How does Trump's order restrict the liberty of American citizens?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »

It is obvious (again) that the Trumpster is the Apprentice in the White House and actually a want-to-be dictator. A so-called president who attacks institutions like the judiciary in this manner has no clue about the checks and balances. Doesn’t he know that there are three branches of government, not just one? His tweets and remarks are disgusting and dangerous and unworthy of the office he is occupying.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 09:56:39 AM »

It is obvious (again) that the Trumpster is the Apprentice in the White House and actually a want-to-be dictator. A so-called president who attacks institutions like the judiciary in this manner has no clue about the checks and balances. Doesn’t he know that there are three branches of government, not just one? His tweets and remarks are disgusting and dangerous and unworthy of the office he is occupying.

He knows. He doesn't care.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 05:12:50 PM »

Oral arguments in the 9th circuit will begin at 6PM Eastern time tonight. I believe they last for one hour.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/view_video.php?pk_vid=0000010884
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 05:45:54 PM »

"A ruling is not expected to come down today, but probably this week."

http://agportal-s3bucket.s3.amazonaws.com/uploadedfiles/Another/News/Press_Releases/Feb7-Oral-Argument.pdf
EnglishPete

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »

You know I find it amusing that so many of the people who have been vomiting forth non stop bile and vitriol at the President of the United States have been reaching for the smelling salts because he made a mildly disparaging remark about a district Judge. I think that what this is ultimately about is ideology. This was not only a 'deplorable' insulting a leftist 'holy man' (an activist judge), they can normally handle that. It was a deplorable in a position of power insulting a leftist 'holy man'. To them this is a massive violation of the proper order.

Kurt Schlichter summed it up very well in a recent article

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2017/02/06/the-left-hates-you-act-accordingly-n2281602
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 06:12:39 PM »

The judges don't seem amused by the Government's argument right now.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2017, 06:30:58 PM by 0% Approval Rating »

That "editorial" is both ironic and hypocritical. Because it almost bursts of hate of "the left" and tries to convince you that it's okay to hate the left because they already hate you. But at least your own hate is justified and right, since their hate came first and you just hate them back accordingly. A prime example of an attempt in demonizing "the enemy".

You could very well replace every mention of "the left" in that "editorial" with "the right" and post  it on a far-left message board and would get a lot of applause for it. Except that it wasn't posted on a far-left site, but a far-right site.

The editorial then ends on a very scary note (at least for my people like me) since it argues that armed battle with "the left" is inevitable and that "the left" will be defeated. I'd consider that as a threat.

I guess when right-wing loons send death threats to left-wing politicians (and they surely do, you can believe me that), they do it with the conviction that their actions are justified because "the left" hates them. And they arrived at that conclusion because of "editorials" like that.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 06:50:38 PM »

Two can play the strawman game.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »

Update: Donald wants Easy D, and he does not want to have to wait for it:

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  2h2 hours ago

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/829384587482656768
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 02:35:42 PM »

i must thank mister trump for improving my knowledge of the english language.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 04:16:57 PM »

They announced a ruling will not come today, I'm guessing it will be tomorrow.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »

Predicting 2-1 against Trump.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 06:16:19 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2017, 06:18:08 PM by Mike88 »

Just a question, if Trump wins this one, the losing side can request an appeal, right?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2017, 06:19:52 PM »

Unanimous 3-0 decision!
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 06:20:13 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2017, 06:20:17 PM »

Does it now go to an en banc hearing? Or to the SCOTUS?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »

making america great again!
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2017, 06:23:42 PM »

Here's the snippet from the ruling making the rounds on Twitter

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »

Just a question, if Trump wins this one, the losing side can request an appeal, right?
Never mind! Nonetheless, fantastic news!! Cheesy
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2017, 06:26:17 PM »

3-0? I guess it was an easy D after all.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2017, 06:27:43 PM »

Clearly, these judges are insufficiently disheartened and demoralized.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies