Bob Casey?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:00:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bob Casey?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bob Casey?  (Read 1861 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2017, 06:26:16 PM »

He's been very actively going after Trump on Twitter, even more than normal Democrats, and is talking about issues surrounding him that don't impact Pennsylvania. Could he be pondering a Presidential run? Of course, he'd suffer from the issue that nobody outside of Pennsylvania (and probably quite a few in Pennsylvania) except political junkies know who he is and is very boring.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 06:46:48 PM »

He's also pro-life which is a nonstarter in any Democratic presidential primary and even if he changed his position it would seem very insincere.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »

Ordinarily on paper I think he'd be good, but he has a complicated history on abortion.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 07:01:59 PM »

He's also pro-life which is a nonstarter in any Democratic presidential primary and even if he changed his position it would seem very insincere.

He seems to be pulling a Harry Reid, though.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 07:34:06 PM »

No. Next question?
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 07:38:46 PM »

Bought and paid for by pharma, no thank you.
DK_Mo82
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 07:41:23 PM »

He would get O'Malley% in Iowa, 2% in NH and then drop out
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 07:43:23 PM »

I'm not sure he really has enough appeal to a particular wing of the party, nor does he have much name recognition. He's also probably not "exciting" enough.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »

Do you understand the concept of looking presidential?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 08:19:14 PM »

Maybe as Her VP.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 08:23:25 PM »

He's running for re-election in 2018, that's why he's more active.  Nothing to see here (or maybe we should move this to the congressional elections board?)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 09:39:11 PM »

Pro-lifer who said he'd vote for Alito. Not happening.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 02:07:05 AM »

Planned Parenthood of Southeastern PA v. Casey

Fine, that was his dad, but you get my point.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 02:10:04 AM »

I outlined a few weeks ago why I think he is the strongest Democrat in 2020:

I've been thinking this through, and I think the best possible candidate the Democrats could nominate in 2020 is Bob Casey.

1. He understands the WWC voters: He has always done well with those white working class voters in Pennsylvania that Trump won over to carry the state in 2016.  His base is also Coal Country in Northeast Pennsylvania, and he could help win back a lot of Rust Belt and Coal Country votes.

2. He represents what will likely be the most important state in 2020: Pennsylvania, with its Even or R+1 PVI and its 20 electoral votes, will be the most hotly contested presidential battleground in 2020.  And, assuming he wins reelection in 2018, he would be in a good position to take back the state for the Democrats.

3. He is somewhat pro-life: One of Hillary Clinton's biggest weaknesses this year was here support of a radical policy on abortion.  I think that, if she did not unapologetically defend late-term abortion and advocate repealing the Hyde Amendment, she would have won more votes of suburban conservatives wary about Trump, but who could not vote for that radical of a position on abortion.  He won't flip the most hardcore pro-lifers, but he could get some of these aforementioned voters (which are plentiful in potentially competitive states like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida) with his pro-life with exceptions stance.

4. But, at the same time, liberals can't call him a social conservative: Other than on certain nuances of abortion and guns, Casey largely toes the liberal "party" line on social and economic issues.  Despite opposing abortion, he actually supports Planned Parenthood.  He's generally pretty liberal except on the few issues that have turned off so many voters to the Democratic Party.

But, hey, go ahead and ignore my advice, saying that I'm a Republican who doesn't know what's best for the Democrats.  I think he is your best candidate.

But, please, go ahead and ignore my advice!
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 03:13:01 AM »

One of the gang of 13 that voted against the Sanders-Klobuchar amendment. No thanks.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 03:21:51 AM »

The guy is close to me ideologically, so I would love a President Casey (pro-life Dem & all). But I am never going to get my hopes up that he could do remotely well in the primary, and he doesn't strike me as the strongest personality to go up against our current president.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 03:44:52 AM »

One of the gang of 13 that voted against the Sanders-Klobuchar amendment. No thanks.

Yea, This does it for me.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 07:19:22 AM »

I've been thinking this through, and I think the best possible candidate the Democrats could nominate in 2020 is Bob Casey.

1. He understands the WWC voters: He has always done well with those white working class voters in Pennsylvania that Trump won over to carry the state in 2016.  His base is also Coal Country in Northeast Pennsylvania, and he could help win back a lot of Rust Belt and Coal Country votes.

2. He represents what will likely be the most important state in 2020: Pennsylvania, with its Even or R+1 PVI and its 20 electoral votes, will be the most hotly contested presidential battleground in 2020.  And, assuming he wins reelection in 2018, he would be in a good position to take back the state for the Democrats.

3. He is somewhat pro-life: One of Hillary Clinton's biggest weaknesses this year was here support of a radical policy on abortion.  I think that, if she did not unapologetically defend late-term abortion and advocate repealing the Hyde Amendment, she would have won more votes of suburban conservatives wary about Trump, but who could not vote for that radical of a position on abortion.  He won't flip the most hardcore pro-lifers, but he could get some of these aforementioned voters (which are plentiful in potentially competitive states like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida) with his pro-life with exceptions stance.

4. But, at the same time, liberals can't call him a social conservative: Other than on certain nuances of abortion and guns, Casey largely toes the liberal "party" line on social and economic issues.  Despite opposing abortion, he actually supports Planned Parenthood.  He's generally pretty liberal except on the few issues that have turned off so many voters to the Democratic Party.

But, hey, go ahead and ignore my advice, saying that I'm a Republican who doesn't know what's best for the Democrats.  I think he is your best candidate.

All this is true.  But if they wouldn't even let his father speak at the convention in 1992, are they going to nominate a guy who may even be a weak pro-lifer?

The Feminist Left has boxed in the Democratic Party to where they have chosen to the appeal to the socially liberal professional class ahead of the socially conservative working class.  Good job, Dems!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 11:32:34 AM »

All this is true.  But if they wouldn't even let his father speak at the convention in 1992, are they going to nominate a guy who may even be a weak pro-lifer?

The Feminist Left has boxed in the Democratic Party to where they have chosen to the appeal to the socially liberal professional class ahead of the socially conservative working class.  Good job, Dems!

How do I do the eye roll emjoi?
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 11:45:49 AM »

Could very possibly win a general election; would never win a Dem primary. Basically a Democratic John Kasich.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »

Isn't Casey's abortion stance the same as Bidens?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 02:16:45 PM »

He clearly doesn't have the factional or institutional support to run for President, but he could be a very strong vice-presidential possibility for virtually any candidate, and I think he's essentially laying the groundwork for that right now.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 08:27:57 PM »

Isn't Casey's abortion stance the same as Bidens?
Casey will be credited with his father's abortion stance, deserved or not.

Bob Casey, Sr. was denied a speaking spot at the 1992 Democratic National Convention because he wanted to discuss the abortion issue.  He was shut down, and while he supported Clinton, he wasn't enthusiastic about it after being smacked down.  (I believe the Casey smackdown in 1992 drove Gov. William Donald Schaefer (D-MD) to endorse Bush at the last minute, but Schaefer was a bit idiosyncratic, so a number of things could have drove that.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies