Which state do Democrats have a better chance of carrying: NC or GA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:00:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Which state do Democrats have a better chance of carrying: NC or GA?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
North Carolina

Georgia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 95

Author Topic: Which state do Democrats have a better chance of carrying: NC or GA?  (Read 984 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2017, 01:08:10 PM »

Before 2016, the answer to this question would've been obvious. However, I'm starting to question whether there are enough Democratic votes in North Carolina to carry the state. One could argue that GOP voter suppression worked like a charm, but even without it, I doubt it would've been enough to carry the state for Hillary. Furthermore, exit polls show that migrants into the state aren't as Democratic as thought to be, which leads me to believe a lot of retirees are flooding the state.

On the other hand, Georgia was one of the handful of states to swing left this election, and based on exit polls, the youngs in the state are decisively more Democratic than North Carolina's. This happened while black turnout fell in the state as well, and Democrats didn't put nearly as much effort into the state as they did in NC. Also, a lot of the growth in Metro Atlanta mirrors what I've seen in Northern Virginia, so I'm starting to think GA, instead of NC, will be the next VA.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 01:14:18 PM »

I'm still gonna go with North Carolina. Growth in the research triangle should be enough for the state to swing further left in 2020.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 01:59:51 PM »

NC, easily.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »

NC but after this election I think if a Democrat wins NC they will win GA and vice versa.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »

No - Georgia is obviously total fool's gold for the Democrats and we should continue to pump hundreds of millions of dollars into uber swing-state NC!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Truly inspiring!

"Trend" is effectively meaningless outside of Atlas nerd analysis, though.

But if we are gonna look at it, then look at the trend of the trend: NC is spent. NC's 2012 trend beat GA by a measly 0.2 points and in 2016, NC got stomped by GA. This is with NC getting tons of investment and money, and GA getting none.

All that money can buy there has been bought already. Time to invest in GA!

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 07:30:44 PM »

Probably North Carolina.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 08:08:21 PM »

NC is starting to look like fools gold. With a contested primary and running against an incumbent Ds will have less resources than in 2016, NC or GA may not be contested at all in 2020.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 08:41:12 PM »

Isn't that famous "Research Triangle" one of the most dynamic area of the country ?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 09:24:01 PM »

I voted Georgia, but it is somewhat close. The people who act like GA is so much more Republican than NC remind of those who think that NH is a Tossup but ME is Safe D.

And yeah, I agree that GA is going the way of VA, and I don't see that happening in NC (or even TX, NV and AZ, for that matter).
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 09:30:54 PM »

Still North Carolina. Yes, it's true that Democrats haven't invested much in the state yet, but if they were to, Republicans would defend it.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 09:41:37 PM »

North Carolina    even thought I DONT think it will go blue in 2020 but it more blue then Georgia.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 10:46:41 PM »

Still North Carolina. Yes, it's true that Democrats haven't invested much in the state yet, but if they were to, Republicans would defend it.

The Democrats should. Georgia and North Carolina are basically even in population. Still Census show that Atlanta CSA is bigger than Charlotte (W/O SC), Research Triangle , and Piedmont Triad CSAs combined. Atlanta also had more numerical growth to its CSA then NC 3 largest CSA combined. Now lets say the money Democrats poured into 3 metros in NC was spent in just the Atlanta area. We would be even having the conversation?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 12:17:34 AM »

North Carolina because it has a Democratic Governor who will not suppress the vote on behalf of Donald Trump.

The most important elections in 2018 with respect to the Presidential election of 2020 could be Governorships because voter suppression can decide how some states vote.

Of course should the Democrats win the race for Governor of Georgia, then Donald Trump will be in really bad shape if his approval ratings in late October 2020 are underwater.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 07:15:31 AM »

NC elected a Democratic Senator in 2008 and a Democratic Governor in 2016.  This is a no-brainer.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »

Carolina in 2020 but Georgia after. Once the oldest generation of Georgia dies out, it will be a very tough state for the GOP to hold.
Wisniewski for Governor
CunningStunts

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 08:37:04 PM »

Carolina in 2020 but Georgia after. Once the oldest generation of Georgia dies out, it will be a very tough state for the GOP to hold.

NC but after this election I think if a Democrat wins NC they will win GA and vice versa.

Agreed.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 09:09:06 PM »

One of 'em was within 3 points despite almost no money in '08, then it remained within five points with only a penultimate minute push [the absolute last minute was of course, Michigan].

Senator wise: They were within easy range of taking out incumbent the first time, and within 5-6 points with an absolute lightweight candidate.

For the other incumbent, only a token was put in both times, last time, pretty sure Barksdale overperformed [not that that says too much]

The other state barely flipped with all the money in the world, went the other way despite a Convention setting, and finally swung even harder away and barely trended favorably.

Senator wise, the big flip came more because the incumbent ran a horrendous and otherwise wouldn't have happened...and the next time around, despite everything, they lost it.

And the other senator had good candidates thrown at him, and he won bigly anyway.

The answer is clearly then, Georgia.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 12:38:01 PM »

I would say north Carolina but the dems need to focus on re taking the rustbelt then they should focus on flipping AZ, GA, and NC
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 12:58:19 PM »

North Carolina. It has a larger minority population and Democrats will win black voters in NC, however, Democrats have to appeal to suburban white voters, who have fled the party in midterms.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 01:59:32 PM »

NC, because in 2020 Tillis will be defeated
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »

North Carolina. It has a larger minority population and Democrats will win black voters in NC, however, Democrats have to appeal to suburban white voters, who have fled the party in midterms.
                          Minority Share       Non Hispanic White share      Minority Voter Share 16
Georgia                   45.7%                             54.3%                                  40%
North Carolina         35.9%                               64.1%                                 30%
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »

At the end of the day, there is a coalition of 50% of voters of North Carolina who will vote for a Democrat.  Not clear such a coalition exists in Georgia yet.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies