What were Obama's most important Executive Orders?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:46:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What were Obama's most important Executive Orders?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What were Obama's most important Executive Orders?  (Read 718 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2017, 03:24:40 AM »

After reading this article on past important executive orders, as well as Trump's on everyone's mind... have we ever compiled a list of Obama's most important executive orders?

Whether you agree with them or want them repealed, it's a good list to make.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/9-executive-orders-changed-american-190023267.html

Here's the ones I can think of:

-ending discrimination against LGBT+ people by the federal government
-DACA, to protect "dreamers" (children of illegal immigrants who are good citizens)
-Paris Climate Change agreement, and various other environmental decisions such as fuel efficiency and emissions standards
-raising minimum wage for federal workers and contractors
-gun control measures to keep guns away from the mentally ill (already repealed by Trump)
-overtime pay changes
-various orders to better shape healthcare reform and financial reform

I'm trying to compile a list of his important executive orders... whether or not you disagree with them. What else have I missed? Or which should be better clarified?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 08:07:54 PM »

What does everyone here think were Obama's most important Executive Orders?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 03:22:55 PM »

Im blanking on actual EOs for Obama. The only big one im remembering is making federal contractors subject to lgbt antidiscrimination rules
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 12:24:40 AM »

I'm shaky when it comes to executive orders, because often times they will differ from the voters and will of the people.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 12:31:51 PM »

I'm shaky when it comes to executive orders, because often times they will differ from the voters and will of the people.

Executive orders are a necessary part of carrying out the duties of the executive branch, most of which "the people" are completely ignorant about. Their "will" on things they know nothing about (and really, there is no reason for the average person to know about the mundane operations of the federal government) doesn't and shouldn't matter.

That's what elections are for - if you don't like what your elected officials are doing, vote them out. Elections themselves are a constitutional check on government.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 02:04:17 PM »

Executive orders are a necessary part of carrying out the duties of the executive branch, most of which "the people" are completely ignorant about. Their "will" on things they know nothing about (and really, there is no reason for the average person to know about the mundane operations of the federal government) doesn't and shouldn't matter.

That's what elections are for - if you don't like what your elected officials are doing, vote them out. Elections themselves are a constitutional check on government.

Absolutely, but I feel uncertain about federal law overruling the rule of the voter too often.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies