Politico: Cotton and Trump plot crackdown on legal immigration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:16:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Politico: Cotton and Trump plot crackdown on legal immigration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Politico: Cotton and Trump plot crackdown on legal immigration  (Read 2232 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »

I know I've joked about this for a while, but this could actually directly impact me.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

-DO IT. We red staters (weird to think of Michigan as a non-Atlas-red state!) are begging you!
So you do put party above country? At least you don't lie about it.

-The country would be better off free of the Californian yoke.
You're a moron if you think our richest state leaving is good
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 07:04:26 PM »

Not shocking. Even less shocking is Harding's dislike of “minority immigrants.˝

It's a sad and unfortunate day that so many Americans are willing to embrace immigration reduction and turning our back on those seeking refuge or a better life in our country. I can't understand any objection to our current levels of immigration, which is already quite low. The only opposition seems to stem from either either bigotry or an unfounded fear of immigrants negatively affecting our economy.

We aren't being "overrun" or any other scaremongering term used to refer to Mexican immigration, Hispanic immigration, Asian immigration, or any other immigration. Who cares if the demographics of the United States substantially change? There's no reason to prefer or preserve our current or previous demographics, aside from an emotional reaction to seeing different people and different cultures.

-Just low enough to supposedly (according to less discerning people) lead to the Emerging Democratic Majority. Or, perhaps, an Emerging New Mexico. I honestly wouldn't like either of those options. I'm not against all immigration, just prefer to err on the side of caution.

Jesus Christ, stop fearmongering about Mexicans, you bigot. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Mexicans. But aside from that, Mexican immigration is nowhere near high enough to lead to an "Emerging New Mexico" and has actually been declining lately, being replaced by increasing levels of immigration from Asia. Honestly, I'd rather live around decent people of Mexican heritage than White people like you.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 07:04:32 PM »

I know I've joked about this for a while, but this could actually directly impact me.

-DO IT. We red staters (weird to think of Michigan as a non-Atlas-red state!) are begging you!

New Jersey isn't leaving.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2017, 07:17:08 PM »

-California is a high-rent, high-price state, not an especially rich state when adjusted for those factors.
Eharding

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2017, 07:18:31 PM »

Honestly, I'd rather live around decent people of Mexican heritage than White people like you.

-Same.
Jeffster
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2017, 08:16:18 PM »

I wouldn't mind a moderate reduction of immigration and the family visa program. It's clear this family visa program was troublesome from the start, to be honest. However, cutting immigration by half is way too much, and would be both a moral and economic disaster, at least within 10 years.

Why do we need a reduction in immigration? If anything we need to dramatically increase the number of immigrants, refugees, and asylum seekers into our country.

No we don't. All you want is more votes, you don't care that an increase in the supply of labor will drive down wages, and cause housing prices to continue to skyrocket. We should be limiting immigration to people who are highly skilled, that would fill a shortage. They should also be paid above the prevailing wage for their field. Because if there was a shortage of workers relative to the demand then wages would go up.

I'm sick of the far left assholes and the wealthy elite using immigration to screw the rest of us over.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 08:19:11 PM »

This is a very positive surprise from Cotton and every step made in that bill is in the right direction; however, immigration should be cut by way more than just half. I'm honestly tired of the mass chain migration to the U.S. going on now (more so a Middle Eastern issue than a Hispanic one) and would like it curbed.

It's really not as large a wave as you're making it out to be in that case.

-I regularly hear anecdotes from Middle Easterners about 50 or 200 or whatever of their cousins living here. And local Indians are known to bring their elderly parents to the U.S. It's a big wave.

Middle Eastern cultures use the term "cousin" much more loosely than Americans do. It can basically refer to someone with a vague familial connection or just to people you consider "like family" because you've known them a long time or you're from the same town.

Yes, South Asians often bring their elderly parents. There are no nursing homes or assisted living facilities in that part of the world. Would you rather they euthanize them? They're not doing you any harm. Speaking from experience, most of them stay home and cook and watch Bollywood movies.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 08:29:27 PM »

IF California somehow ends up becoming independent (which I don't want because, despite everything, I still do believe in American ideals and in this country's ability to be a force for good), I really hope it can get a better flag than this abomination.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 08:36:27 PM »

New Jersey isn't leaving.
Sad
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 08:37:53 PM »

1) This bill doesn't go far enough. We should have a moratorium on immigration for at least 10 years.

2) Can't understand the rationale for people who want "a mild reduction". Seems like pure Moderate Heroism. Either you acknowledge the problems caused by immigration or you don't.

3) What's the moral objection to cutting back on legal immigration? No one who isn't from the United States has the right to live in the United States. Just like someone born in the United States doesn't have the right to live in Mexico or any other country.

4) I draw the line at kicking out people we have already given residency/citizenship. I don't think they should have been let in but we did let them in. That was our bad not theirs. Now we have an obligation to them. This bill doesn't cross that line.

5) Immigration is only good the economy in the way that abolishing the top tax brackets would be good for the economy. It's good for people like the CEO of Carl's Jr but bad for regular workers who are already here, regular workers of all ethnicities. Claims that immigration doesn't decrease wages are based on wishful thinking and selective readings of studies from pro-immigration groups who themselves can't even bring themselves to lie and say it's not true and instead just go "well, we can't tell one way or the other".

Eharding

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2017, 08:46:57 PM »

Wow, Famous Mortimer goes even further on this issue than I.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »

Not opposed to immigration categorically but we had the most liberal immigration policy in the industrialized world for about 40 years and now we need to compensate for that. We need AT LEAST 10 years to economically integrate (to say nothing of culturally assimilate) the people we have already let in. Maybe after 10 years, the economy will be a good position to allow new immigration (high wages, cheap housing in places people actually want to live, too many jobs) but it is very clear our economy is not in that position right now.
Absolution9
Rookie

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2017, 09:00:38 PM »

Awesome, really hope this passes.  Immigration reduction was the main reason I ended up voting for Trump (and I'm a Soviet Jewish immigrant myself).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »

Great to see the usual suspects blatantly promoting white supremacist garbage. Equally nice to see they've dropped their always unbelievable premise this s#!t was solely over "illegal immigrants ".
pikachu
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2017, 09:03:37 PM »

I think this is all going to end up backfiring on Trump & co. pretty badly. This isn't going to be a popular policy, and like the Muslim ban and the wall, it's going to anger way more people than it's going to enthuse. Like Atlas has said about Democrats, focusing on identity politics and ethnonationalism at the expense of other issues is not going to be a good look.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2017, 09:04:56 PM »

Great to see the usual suspects blatantly promoting white supremacist garbage. Equally nice to see they've dropped their always unbelievable premise this s#!t was solely over "illegal immigrants ".

Do you think everyone everywhere has the right to live in the United States? You realize very few, if any, other countries allow people to become citizens on demand?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2017, 09:06:48 PM »

I think this is all going to end up backfiring on Trump & co. pretty badly. This isn't going to be a popular policy, and like the Muslim ban and the wall, it's going to anger way more people than it's going to enthuse. Like Atlas has said about Democrats, focusing on identity politics and ethnonationalism at the expense of other issues is not going to be a good look.

This is not about ethno-nationalism or identity politics. Letting an unlimited number of poor people (of any race) come here and paying them welfare to have children is a policy that has a huge economic impact.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2017, 09:23:20 PM »

Do you think everyone everywhere has the right to live in the United States? You realize very few, if any, other countries allow people to become citizens on demand?

This isn't about allowing "citizenship on demand" you dolt, and no one but you has blithered such notions, or fails to realize the curent myriad immigration and naturalization process is a million miles from such fantastical nightmares.

Immigration brings the hardest working, most entrepreneurial , most energetic and America loving people from around the world. There isn't a single idiotic utterance you're making which wasn't bantered with equal foolishnees about Italian, Asian, and East European immigrants a century and a half ago.

No one here is fooled in believing that if most immigration came from England, Germany , and Ireland that your views would change dramatically .
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2017, 09:28:31 PM »

I basically agree with WillipsBrighton here -- to my surprise, I might add. And how is Badger still a Republican if he thinks immigration restrictions are racist or white supremacist? Roll Eyes
Jeffster
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2017, 09:31:40 PM »

This isn't about allowing "citizenship on demand" you dolt, and no one but you has blithered such notions, or fails to realize the curent myriad immigration and naturalization process is a million miles from such fantastical nightmares.

Immigration brings the hardest working, most entrepreneurial , most energetic and America loving people from around the world. There isn't a single idiotic utterance you're making which wasn't bantered with equal foolishnees about Italian, Asian, and East European immigrants a century and a half ago.

No one here is fooled in believing that if most immigration came from England, Germany , and Ireland that your views would change dramatically .

This isn't the late 19th, or early 20th century anymore you jackass. There is no sparsely populated west looking to be settled. There are no newly opened factories desperate for workers. We are entering an age where labor is becoming less and less necessary, yet morons keep going on about how since we are  a nation of immigrants, then we can never change our immigration policy and start putting our own citizens first.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2017, 09:34:49 PM »

I basically agree with WillipsBrighton here -- to my surprise, I might add. And how is Badger still a Republican if he thinks immigration restrictions are racist or white supremacist? Roll Eyes

I'm starting to think Badger is some kind of radical leftist agent in deep cover within the respectable middle classes.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2017, 09:37:18 PM »

I live in New York City and work a crappy job and I probably deal with immigrants much more than you do. I can tell you they don't really "love America". Why would someone from The Gambia love America anyway? They come here because the government will give them free money. Not because they are patriotic for a nation they have no connection to. They openly admit this. I don't fault them for it though. I would do the same thing if I was in their shoes. Who wouldn't? You'd have to be stupid not to. I do fault the government for letting them in though. Just because people want free money doesn't mean you should give it to them. I don't really know who this narrative about immigrants being "America loving" is supposed to appeal to. Liberals themselves do not love America. Conservatives just don't buy the argument because it's not true. Next.

Also, European (and Chinese) immigration 150 years ago took place in a much different world. The main difference being there wasn't a welfare state back then.

As to if there were European immigrants today. I wouldn't mind but my reason for not minding wouldn't be because they were White (although at this point many Europeans are non White). My reason for not minding would be because those people are rich. They aren't going to be on welfare because if they wanted welfare, they would just stay in their countries of origin, since the benefits are more generous there. Coincidentally, that's the reason people from Europe DON'T immigrate here in the first place.

The same is true about Japan. Japan is non White but they have a higher standard of living than we do, so we don't have to worry that the people are coming here just to collect benefits and drive down wages. Of course, just like Europe, them having a higher standard of living is also the reason they don't bother coming here anyway.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2017, 09:41:01 PM »

and European immigrants from the turn of the century WOULD have been a huge problem except for the fact that we had basically no immigration from the 1920s to the 1960s, a period which allowed those immigrants to integrate and assimilate. We need a similar period now.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2017, 09:44:28 PM »

Isn't it amazing that you have a liberal Democrat and a Republican agreeing on this issue against other members of both parties? All this rhetoric against immigrants being espoused here, either due to opposition to diversity or supposed negative effects on our economy, are due to bigotry or lack of understanding regarding economics.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2017, 09:48:10 PM »

Far far far too much rampant stupidity jingoism, and blatant self-rationalization of overt racism to discuss at once when I have to put my7 kids down. Suffice to say it's disgusti ng to see Forum turn into Stormfront 2.0, and am proud to fight against it.

And yes, there's no rationality behind your positions. You're acting like racist scum and I'm happy to call you out on it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies