The best Science-Fiction universe/story?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:07:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The best Science-Fiction universe/story?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What is the best Science-Fiction universe/story?
Dune

The Foundation

Star Trek

Star Wars

OTHER (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: The best Science-Fiction universe/story?  (Read 2707 times)
Enduro
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 06:52:07 PM »

Why aren't you nerds watching "The Expanse"?  You're seriously missing out.

I love The Expanse. It's one of my favorite shows.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 12:06:46 AM »

Why aren't you nerds watching "The Expanse"?  You're seriously missing out.

I do. Tongue

I wouldn't exactly compare it with Game of Thrones. It's still a good show though, since it's a very rare example of truly "hard" science fiction on television.

Well GoT is pretty bad these days (I say this as someone who loves seasons 1-3).
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2017, 09:47:45 AM »

I voted for Foundation. The original trilogy from the 1950's still remains one of the classics of SF. It contrasted with the stories and novels Asimov set in his robot universe, notable for its introduction of the three laws of robotics (he coined the word robotics). In the 60's and most of the 70's Asimov took a break from fiction to work on science for the layman (Sputnik had that effect on many writers of that era). If you were asking the poll 40 years ago, you might have listed both the Foundation and Robot universes.

When he returned to more fiction writing in the 1980's he used his new Foundation novels to tie together his two universes. That achievement elevates his universe to the top of the list for me.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »

I'll be making a new poll soon, with the options people suggested when explaining why they voted "other."
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 11:06:37 PM »

Does the Steven King Universe count?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2017, 11:33:23 PM »

Stephen King's books like The Stand? I thought they were more fantasy and horror than science fiction. Which books do you think qualify as science fiction?

What do others think?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 11:27:18 AM »

Stephen King's books like The Stand? I thought they were more fantasy and horror than science fiction. Which books do you think qualify as science fiction?

What do others think?

Well, I'm assuming that all of Stephen King's books are connected. At least, that's what I read a few places on the internet. The Stand is the main story sequence, and the rest are loosely connected. That said, books like Under The Dome and Carrie have science fiction qualities.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 12:27:39 PM »

Star Wars and Star Trek win hands down.  We could base our technological advancements on the models set in these stories.  We already do with Minority Report, after all.  

Also, I'd like the United States develop a new space force, in particular these X-wing fighter planes:

Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 01:07:21 PM »

Warhammer 40k's universe is my favorite as there is just something so bleak and hopeless about it that makes it philosophically interesting, followed by Star Wars of course. Though I should probably mention that I actually slightly prefer Star Trek as a series, just the universe and lore isn't as, I don't know, cool?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »

Warhammer 40k's universe is my favorite as there is just something so bleak and hopeless about it that makes it philosophically interesting, followed by Star Wars of course. Though I should probably mention that I actually slightly prefer Star Trek as a series, just the universe and lore isn't as, I don't know, cool?

I can see that. Even if I prefer Star Wars as a whole.

Also, as a person who doesn't know what Warhammer is, it sounds really interesting. Can you suggest a starting point for me?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 03:12:38 PM »

Star Wars and Star Trek win hands down.  We could base our technological advancements on the models set in these stories.  We already do with Minority Report, after all.  

Also, I'd like the United States develop a new space force, in particular these X-wing fighter planes:

That's part of why I mentioned Asimov's robot stories tied in with Foundation. So much of how we now perceive the interactions of humans and androids is rooted in Asimov's stories. The Star Wars droids are no exception.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2017, 08:00:40 AM »

Also, as a person who doesn't know what Warhammer is, it sounds really interesting. Can you suggest a starting point for me?
Sorry about resurrecting the thread, just wanted to answer this.

Starting with one of the dawn of war games is probably easiest from the perspective of time, money and general difficulty. Then you can go and read up on the various factions and stuff on the wiki and slowly get into some of the books(much like the expanded universe Star Wars stuff, it's a bit of a mixed bag, but there are a few really good ones), getting into the table top game is hard, time consuming and expensive, and I've only played it once or twice.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2017, 12:01:52 PM »

Sorry about resurrecting the thread, just wanted to answer this.

Starting with one of the dawn of war games is probably easiest from the perspective of time, money and general difficulty. Then you can go and read up on the various factions and stuff on the wiki and slowly get into some of the books(much like the expanded universe Star Wars stuff, it's a bit of a mixed bag, but there are a few really good ones), getting into the table top game is hard, time consuming and expensive, and I've only played it once or twice.

Thanks. I'll be sure to look into it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies