GA-6 Special election discussion thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:49:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-6 Special election discussion thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 120
Author Topic: GA-6 Special election discussion thread  (Read 250119 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:27:16 PM »
« edited: June 20, 2017, 01:15:50 AM by Virginia »

The seat held by Georgia Rep. Tom Price, a conservative Republican, who is likely to be confirmed as the next Health and Human Services Secretary under President Trump. His seat will likely set a special election, for later this year. Can Democrat Jon Ossoff win in this conservative-leaning district?

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/01/05/another-democrat-announces-for-tom-prices-seat-with-some-hefty-advantages/

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/02/03/a-democrat-is-putting-up-big-numbers-in-tom-prices-conservative-turf/

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444654/2017-special-elections-open-house-seats-worth-watching

---

mod edit (6/20/2017):

New thread for election day (runoff): https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=266905.0
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »

No
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 07:55:39 PM »

Likely not
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »

Yes, he can.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 09:20:45 PM »

God, I sure hope so.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 09:26:17 PM »

Can he? If he plays his cards right, and everything lines up in his favor, yes.
Will he? If Trump is not too unpopular in the district, a Republican makes the top two (doesn't this use a Louisiana-style system?) and doesn't self-destruct, then probably not.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 09:28:31 PM »

He can, but he probably won't.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 09:28:52 PM »

If Ossoff wins this special election, he'd be a big GOP target in 2018 and 2020. However, if he holds on to this seat, he'd be a Democratic Party rising star. He'd be a future Senate or governor candidate in the 2020s.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 09:33:17 PM »

He'd need the perfect storm of so many factors to win it. Sure it was close in the president rave but I think the urban republicans will come back since trump hasn't been a sh**tshow
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 09:40:17 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2017, 09:47:24 PM by Tintrlvr »

I wouldn't say it is impossible given that this district is pretty much ground zero for anti-Trump Republicans and actually only voted for Trump 48.3-46.8 over Clinton but seems unlikely given the historical Republican margins (e.g., 60.8-37.5 Romney over Obama). Still, could end up like Gottheimer vs. Garrett (which was similarly narrowly Trump with historically somewhat larger Republican margins, though not nearly as large as GA-06), especially if the Republicans choose the wrong candidate, which I think is a real risk in a jungle primary.

If he does win, I am much more confident in a big Democratic wave in 2018.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 09:46:47 PM »

He sure can.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 10:13:40 PM »

Unlikely. District is anti-Trump, but still mostly conservative. And Ossoff credentials as Lewis staffer would be great in GA-05, but not so important in GA-06, which acquiesced to Civil Rights long ago, but hardly champions them. If Republicans nominate Roy Moore-type candidate - possible, but, probably, only in this case.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 10:39:21 PM »

Yes, the district is changing. I volunteered to knock on doors there with my university Young Democrats branch and many people were interested with voting for Hillary. They said Donald Trump scared them, was taking us back to a dark time, they had many friends of different backgrounds, and this is from white people. One white man who attended Reagan inauguration said he doesn't recognize this Republican party anymore. Anybody who says this election is Safe R doesn't know district outside of a bunch data and wikipedia pages. 
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 11:13:41 PM »

Yes, the district is changing. I volunteered to knock on doors there with my university Young Democrats branch and many people were interested with voting for Hillary. They said Donald Trump scared them, was taking us back to a dark time, they had many friends of different backgrounds, and this is from white people. One white man who attended Reagan inauguration said he doesn't recognize this Republican party anymore. Anybody who says this election is Safe R doesn't know district outside of a bunch data and wikipedia pages. 

Interesting. Do you think Ossoff is the best candidate to win the seat?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 11:17:17 PM »

Likely R to start off, but this is politics...anything can happen. Hope we hold this seat and keep it R.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 11:51:52 PM »

I kinda get the feeling the DCCC is punting on the special election, and is saving their time and energy (and money) for the 2018 general instead. We'll see though.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 12:01:11 AM »

Interesting. Do you think Ossoff is the best candidate to win the seat?

No, Scott Holcomb he's like Georgia's Jason Kander. After that its either Curt Thompson or Taylor Bennett. I think they wait until 2018 or 2020 if the Dems target GA.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 11:31:54 PM »

anyone here think he kind of has that numale pajama-boy look to him? I'd vote for him but remember, this is Georgia - not New Jersey.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 11:39:36 PM »

I kinda get the feeling the DCCC is punting on the special election, and is saving their time and energy (and money) for the 2018 general instead. We'll see though.

They're clearly not; Ossoff has -- already -- set a record for fastest online fundraising for a congressional candidate, beating Elizabeth Warren's 2012 campaign.

Can he win? This area is very Republican downballot (it was the first part of Georgia to even consider supporting Republicans, back in the mid-1960s, and was already pretty solid for them by the time Reagan came along), but Trump is weak here, and it's demographically consistent with the sort of place where Trump's approvals have probably slid since his inauguration. I think it'll depend on how the Top Two primary shakes out -- I think a D v. D top two is an underrated possibility, that Ossoff might even be favored against a few of the candidates running more Trump-friendly campaigns, and that even against the others Trump can be used as a cudgel. This district is not KS-4; this is a place where the strategy the Democrats want to use could actually work (though we'll see in practice).

I'd still put it as Leans R or so. But Ossoff is definitely in with a shot.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 11:49:53 PM »

I have read up on Holcomb's bio Army vet deployed overseas several state and elected rep in the area. The fact he passed up on this race tells all you know about Ossoff's chances.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 02:25:29 AM »

They're clearly not; Ossoff has -- already -- set a record for fastest online fundraising for a congressional candidate, beating Elizabeth Warren's 2012 campaign.

Is that online fundraising coming from the DCCC though? The people I've seen investing in this race are more netroots types than the actual Democratic establishment.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 02:30:18 AM »

The filing deadline is Wednesday the 14th by the way. Currently the GOP side is ex-Secretary of State, 2014 Senate candidate, and former Susan G. Komen Foundation chairwoman Karen Handel, and businessman Bruce LeVell, former director of the "National Diversity Coalition for Trump".

I'd say a runoff with Handel is Likely R and a runoff with LeVell is a Toss-Up for Ossoff. If this is a district that likes Republicans but hates Trump, then one of Trump's biggest campaign supporters is probably a bad fit.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 04:17:55 AM »

UGH. Handel.

I have no issue with her as a person or ideologically, but she's vastly under performed in two statewide GOP primaries since 2010. I don't see what she brings to the table besides possibly handing Dems a house seat.

I rather have someone run who actually knows how to run a campaign. Ossoff's candidacy concerns me.

Is it at all possible for St. Sen. Betsy Price (Tom's wife) to run or is she too much of a political novice to do well? 
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 04:39:47 PM »

I hate seeing progressives wind themselves up on this race which is a very likely loss. I see Maddow attacking the DCCC for not investing here but seriously the district still voted for Trump and has shown no willingness to elect other Ds. I can already see when Rs win pundits declaring it is sign there is no Trump backlash and 2018 with be a smooth year for the party.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 04:51:31 PM »

I hate seeing progressives wind themselves up on this race which is a very likely loss. I see Maddow attacking the DCCC for not investing here but seriously the district still voted for Trump and has shown no willingness to elect other Ds. I can already see when Rs win pundits declaring it is sign there is no Trump backlash and 2018 with be a smooth year for the party.

Yes. A win here is a real long-shot, imo. Just because traditionally D/R districts like these flip or narrow significantly doesn't mean they will be competitive downballot just yet (or sometimes at all). The changes in voting patterns could very well point to future success, and in this case it fits with existing long-term trends but in all reality even if it was moving towards Democrats on some level, it'll probably be a while before it is viable.

Frankly if Democrats could get this race to a mid-single digit loss I'd be very happy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 120  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies