GA-6 Special election discussion thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:14:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-6 Special election discussion thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 120
Author Topic: GA-6 Special election discussion thread  (Read 250529 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: April 14, 2017, 12:12:07 PM »

Anything below 45% for all Dems combined should result in the firing of the head of the DCCC.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #551 on: April 14, 2017, 12:45:51 PM »

Anything below 45% for all Dems combined should result in the firing of the head of the DCCC.
Can you stop?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #552 on: April 14, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »

The DCCC can't run Ossoff's campaign for him, and it's not like he needs any more money.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #553 on: April 14, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »

The DCCC can't run Ossoff's campaign for him, and it's not like he needs any more money.

I mean Lujan does need to go, but this isn't why.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #554 on: April 14, 2017, 01:00:43 PM »

I mean Lujan does need to go, but this isn't why.

Why?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #555 on: April 14, 2017, 01:04:01 PM »

Samuel L. Jackson cut a radio ad for the DCCC that will play on Urban Radio in the Atlanta Metro
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #556 on: April 14, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »

Trump approval: 54% Approve, 45% Disapprove

Interesting. Like I suspected, these type of voters are exactly the people who love "New Trump".

Are you sure recent actions actually mean anything in this district? I'm not debating your view of what these voters may like about "new Trump," but rather that an older poll of GA-6 from Opinion Savy shows basically the same approvals:

http://opinionsavvy.com/2017/03/24/poll-ossoff-leads-in-ga6-handel-tops-republicans/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

(Mar 24th)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #557 on: April 14, 2017, 02:54:29 PM »

The AJC asked Gray, Hill, Handel, and Ossoff their views on several issues.  Worth a read.

http://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/leading-georgia-sixth-district-candidates-the-issues/4RC8bLUa5gK4dWgWhCCjFJ/
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #558 on: April 14, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »

Trump approval: 54% Approve, 45% Disapprove

Interesting. Like I suspected, these type of voters are exactly the people who love "New Trump".

Are you sure recent actions actually mean anything in this district? I'm not debating your view of what these voters may like about "new Trump," but rather that an older poll of GA-6 from Opinion Savy shows basically the same approvals:

http://opinionsavvy.com/2017/03/24/poll-ossoff-leads-in-ga6-handel-tops-republicans/

(Mar 24th)

Hmm... interesting. Yeah, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think it's at least fair to say that governing like a generic Republican/Bush 3.0 is not going to him in this particular district. But like Skill and Chance said, I really think this has the potential to backfire on Republicans in the Midwest, the Mountain West and Northeast. GA-06 could very well be too inelastic for the Ds to win, and my wild guess is that the district is full of "RINO Tom-type Republicans" who are still loyal to the party down ballot. Tongue

This is one of the many reasons why I don't think a GOP win here would be a good indication of what will happen in 2018.

A ton of those types in Georgia would still be pro-life too, which is conveniently forgotten by the mainstream media (just like it is still not universally accepted that, without the abortion issue, Hillary Clinton would absolutely be the president today).
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #559 on: April 14, 2017, 03:53:05 PM »

but I think it's at least fair to say that governing like a generic Republican/Bush 3.0 is not going to him in this particular district.

That's a fair point, though my view of his approvals is still that its not entirely about what policies or actions he takes. To a lot of people, they will always factor in the very large amount of awful character attributes and past scandals. You can see such opinions manifest themselves in polls about his trustworthiness, ability to lead, competency, temperament, and so on. In general, he treats people like garbage in so many different ways that it is almost impossible for many people to be objective about his performance as president.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #560 on: April 14, 2017, 03:57:54 PM »

Virginia is right - his sudden policy ""pivot"" isn't going to change Trump's approvals in this district. They might like his new direction or some of the new things he's doing but they're still not going to look upon him more favorably
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #561 on: April 14, 2017, 03:59:53 PM »

Very likely that this turns into an Ossoff vs Handel runoff
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #562 on: April 14, 2017, 05:07:21 PM »

Likely but I wouldn't say very likely, it's a special election so that is difficult to estimate. Many polls have different results for the 2nd/3rd place.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #563 on: April 14, 2017, 05:13:21 PM »

New WSB-Landmark Communications poll has Ossoff at 45% other candidates tied in the teens. Just released at 6 pm.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/north-fulton-county/6th-congressional-race-likely-headed-to-a-runoff/512670023
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #564 on: April 14, 2017, 05:18:43 PM »

Likely but I wouldn't say very likely, it's a special election so that is difficult to estimate. Many polls have different results for the 2nd/3rd place.

Never underestimate Karen Handel's ability to underperform.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #565 on: April 14, 2017, 05:23:02 PM »

Never underestimate Karen Handel's ability to underperform.

True, but in this crowded field I think her name recognition gets her into the runoff.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #566 on: April 14, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »

Apologies, the poll has the race for third tied.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #567 on: April 14, 2017, 05:52:16 PM »

Apologies, the poll has the race for third tied.

Pretty good poll for Ossoff. Even though 50+1 is quite unlikely, 17% for Handel isn't that strong of a 2nd place finish. I really wish the runoff was only a few weeks from now rather than in mid-June, which, in theory, gives Handel plenty of time to consolidate Republicans.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #568 on: April 14, 2017, 05:57:06 PM »

wow sounds like the Anti-Handel ads are backfiring.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #569 on: April 14, 2017, 06:00:35 PM »

My gut call is still Handel in third, even if polls are showing her up. I don't think name recognition is particularly relevant here - the people who bother voting in a special election are already self-selected to be motivated, engaged, and highly informed voters.

Also with all these polls showing Ossoff polling in the mid-to-upper-fourties in the runoff, I'm pessimistically preparing myself to be completely disappointed - remember that undecided Georgians always break R bigly Sad
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #570 on: April 14, 2017, 06:23:10 PM »

update: watching tv right now I can confirm THE REPUBLICANS ARE ATTACKING EACH OTHER BIG LEAGUE

First there was an ad attacking Jon Ossoff for being a "tax and spend liberal". But then the message got muddled...

Second was a Dan Moody ad that went very negative against Karen Handel, calling her a "tax and spend liberal"

After that was a Club for Growth ad (who support Bob Gray) attacking both Moody and Handel, calling them "tax and spend liberals"

Now, during a second commercial break, there's a campaign ad from Gray attacking Handel, followed by a nice and friendly positive and on-message ad from Jon Ossoff!
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #571 on: April 14, 2017, 06:34:27 PM »

Now, during a second commercial break, there's a campaign ad from Gray attacking Handel, followed by a nice and friendly positive and on-message ad from Jon Ossoff!

All the Ossoff ads I've seen or heard have had a very upbeat tone.  None of them have been negative, although that may change in the runoff when he has only one opponent.  It's been kind of refreshing.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #572 on: April 14, 2017, 06:39:42 PM »

All the Ossoff ads I've seen or heard have had a very upbeat tone.  None of them have been negative, although that may change in the runoff when he has only one opponent.  It's been kind of refreshing.

Did you guys hear that radio add by Handel about the race being a circus? The best part was attacking Moody for shoveling dirt!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #573 on: April 14, 2017, 06:43:14 PM »

Also, those Al Jazeera commercials are hilarious. A tight shot of the Arabic script logo and an ominous voice "You know what that means..."
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #574 on: April 14, 2017, 06:51:26 PM »

Also, those Al Jazeera commercials are hilarious. A tight shot of the Arabic script logo and an ominous voice "You know what that means..."

Yeah, that ad is over the top.  Politifact examined it and rated it "Mostly False": http://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/citing-jazeera-payments-ossoff-uses-selective-information/TvaQHx14pnT6Ri4OU8mJ8O/
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 120  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies