GA-6 Special election discussion thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:08:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-6 Special election discussion thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 120
Author Topic: GA-6 Special election discussion thread  (Read 248982 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: April 19, 2017, 11:46:02 PM »

MS is another Southern state all too many people forget about. Assuming the Clinton implosion isn't the new maximum % among rural and black voters, Mississippi's rapid demographic turnover is going to eat away at the GOP over time. Romney only won MS by like 4 among those under the age of 65.

Yeah, but i expect it to become competitive only by about 2030, and Democratic leaning by about 2040. Not all of us will survive until then...
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1801 on: April 20, 2017, 01:30:27 AM »

What you are seeing here, ladies and gentlemen, is Georgia beginning the transition to becoming a blue (Atlas red) state.

This bodes well for the rest of the South.

I don't see it happening as quickly as some here think. Unlike Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia, Georgia still has quite a bit more R+40 rural space that Atlanta would have to offset, rather than several concentrated and growing urban centers as the other three states have.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1802 on: April 20, 2017, 06:36:38 AM »

If he wins here, he could be a threat in an open Senate seat down the line.

I was just thinking that. If Republicans really are malicious enough to try to gerrymander him out in either 2018 or 2020, that Perdue's Senate seat is always up for grabs.

Pretty sure the next open seat in GA would be tilt D. I expect GA pull a CO transition in the next decade.
I think VA would be a better comparison.  CO at least has a slight chance to go (non-Atlas) red in the near future.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1803 on: April 20, 2017, 06:59:48 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2017, 07:10:52 AM by MT Treasurer »

I agree that GA will go the way of VA, and this should happen very quickly. By 2030 or so, MS, LA and maybe NC could all lean D and TX and FL (and maybe SC) would be pure Tossups or lean D. The Democratic Party's base will be in the South.

Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1804 on: April 20, 2017, 07:39:48 AM »

Anyone who thinks MS will tip quietly into the Democratic column because of demographic change should consider the state's history as a majority-black state and what the NC GOP has done in response to a similar situation. It's not going to "be allowed" to happen.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #1805 on: April 20, 2017, 09:02:12 AM »

What you are seeing here, ladies and gentlemen, is Georgia beginning the transition to becoming a blue (Atlas red) state.

This bodes well for the rest of the South.

Just North Carolina and Florida, and Texas marginally. Virginia is already "there".
North Carolina and Florida are probably going to remain tossup states in 20 years. But yes, I do concede that Georgia is not a matter of "if," but a matter of "when" with regards to becoming Safe D.

If Georgia goes Democratic why wouldn't North Carolina? North Carolina, Georgia, and Virginia all have strong metropolitan centers and NC and GA have strong minority populations as well. I can see GA, NC, VA as the firewall in the New Democratic South. And I remind you, North Carolina went Trump by 2.5%, while Georgia did it by 6%.3

Mississippi, Texas, and South Carolina will take longer to flip (Obama won 44% in SC and 43% in MS so they're not out of reach) but they're not undoable.

I argue -- as I have elsewhere -- that a anti-neoliberal coalition of poor whites and minorities and struggling middle class voters -- will power the Democratic Party in the South and elsewhere. Suburban voters in Atlanta is easily part of the coalition.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1806 on: April 20, 2017, 10:18:12 AM »

Anyone who thinks MS will tip quietly into the Democratic column because of demographic change should consider the state's history as a majority-black state and what the NC GOP has done in response to a similar situation. It's not going to "be allowed" to happen.
More "voter suppression" BS or whatever...

If MS goes Dem, it will do it.  It will be awhile though.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1807 on: April 20, 2017, 10:42:31 AM »

Zero evidence that these supposed "voter suppression" laws actually have any impact on voting behavior.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1808 on: April 20, 2017, 10:49:56 AM »

Zero evidence that these supposed "voter suppression" laws actually have any impact on voting behavior.

Sure Roll Eyes
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1809 on: April 20, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »

The only reason those laws are even proposed is to suppress non-Republican votes. It serves to create the same outcome as gerrymandering does and that is to create built in electoral advantages.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1810 on: April 20, 2017, 11:11:31 AM »

Sure Roll Eyes

Pretty sure Democrats would pass a bill to fix that next time they in power.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1811 on: April 20, 2017, 11:15:06 AM »

Sure Roll Eyes

First, I strongly question CCES-based studies, honestly. Second, that paper has an incredibly poor identification strategy. Such a shoddy attempt at a DID research design should be laughed out of the room; they don't even consider endogeneity once, nor do they attempt to match propensities or engage in some sort of discontinuity design. I couldn't include such a poor paper in my dissertation if I wanted to!

The simple fact is: there was zero difference in minority turnout in NC where these rules were enacted versus areas with similar demographics were they weren't.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #1812 on: April 20, 2017, 11:37:05 AM »

Trump won NC by 3.7 and Georgia by 5.1.

Also, GA-6 is full of affluent white voters, not the kind of voters you describe in your coalition. I still think the WWC is a long term Republican constituency. They've been primed to think all Democrats are domestic terrorists. Conversely, their anti-intellectual/anti-reality rhetoric is a turn-off to traditional college educated whites in places like GA-6.

this is a bit far out but I suggest that affluent voters in suburban areas are more turned off by the current GOP's socially ideologically conservative edge. I contend that these voters will shift to the Democratic Party in considerable measure (they are also becoming more diverse as well). But I think the GOP will adapt and win back these voters but for a decade or so, we can expect areas like GA - 06 to trend blue. I do not believe suburban voters, however, are a long term mainstay of the Democratic Party (like over 10-20 years).

As for the WWC, I am actually basing my theory that an economic situation shifts these voters. The Republican Party's failure to meaningfully address these WWC voters' economic situation will eventually come to a head (these guys have the worst economic situation, aside from poor minorities, and have seen considerable economic stagnation since the millenium; and we currently live under a fairly free trade, deregulated, and low tax regime). But that's neither here or there.

To circle back to this district, the New South, in the next decade, will probably see the powering of Democrats in these suburban districts, and helping the Democrats in statewide elections in NC/GA.

This is a bit of complex theory in that I am suggesting that the suburbanite districts are going to be Democratic over the next decade, then the white working class will join them at some point, and then as the parties shift to accomodate the reality.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1813 on: April 20, 2017, 12:10:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1814 on: April 20, 2017, 08:40:27 PM »

I agree that GA will go the way of VA, and this should happen very quickly. By 2030 or so, MS, LA and maybe NC could all lean D and TX and FL (and maybe SC) would be pure Tossups or lean D. The Democratic Party's base will be in the South.

Why is RI a toss up? I can guess explanations for most of the other choices here, but short of some mass migration of minorities from RI I doubt it will become a toss up in the 30s
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1815 on: April 20, 2017, 08:53:39 PM »

Why is RI a toss up? I can guess explanations for most of the other choices here, but short of some mass migration of minorities from RI I doubt it will become a toss up in the 30s

Yeah... NH can't be Safe D and RI a tossup, while ME-AL is Safe R. What kind of demographics would achieve that?

WI can't be Safe R anytime soon.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1816 on: April 20, 2017, 09:16:44 PM »

Rhode Island and Delaware look random, and I can't see Illinois or New Mexico voting Republican on a presidential level unless the GOP makes significant inroads with Hispanics.  I also wouldn't put Georgia as safe D either, by any means.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1817 on: April 20, 2017, 11:04:23 PM »

Rhode Island and Delaware look random, and I can't see Illinois or New Mexico voting Republican on a presidential level unless the GOP makes significant inroads with Hispanics.  I also wouldn't put Georgia as safe D either, by any means.

There are few things that we can be certain of, but Mississippi not being a Democratic-leaning state in 13 years is one of them.  I kind of understand the argument for it being competitive in 2050 (even if I don't fully agree with it), but there is no way it is there in 2030.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1818 on: April 21, 2017, 03:34:37 AM »

There are few things that we can be certain of, but Mississippi not being a Democratic-leaning state in 13 years is one of them.  I kind of understand the argument for it being competitive in 2050 (even if I don't fully agree with it), but there is no way it is there in 2030.

The thing that makes MS so precarious is that it is wholly dependent on white block voting to keep it Republican. If MS whites voted as Republican as they do in neighboring states, it would be a lean Democratic state. There is also the factor that the bulk of those White Republicans are concentrated in the age bracket 65 and above. By 2030, half of those people will be gone. That means that the White Vote is going to naturally trend downward for the GOP over the next several years as 90% GOP Seniors are replaced with 50-50 Millenials starting to vote more frequently.

So 2030 is not at all unreasonable for it to be tilt Dem state.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1819 on: April 21, 2017, 03:42:15 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2017, 03:43:48 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

Rhode Island and Delaware look random, and I can't see Illinois or New Mexico voting Republican on a presidential level unless the GOP makes significant inroads with Hispanics.  I also wouldn't put Georgia as safe D either, by any means.

I agree with this map's portrayal of the sunbelt. I disagree though with what it has happening in the North.

If the GOP recovers in Northern suburbs enough to make Illinois soften up, OH Safe and WI as Likely GOP, then PA is Likely GOP, MN is lean GOP, and IN is Safe GOP.

Underlying all of this is massive GOP margins in Northern rural counties. This spans the entirety of the region from ME to MN, and has been witnessed over multiple recent elections. If this comes to pass then baked into the coalition in these states is this massive rural support similar to what Trump got (or even more), augmented by higher support (higher than Romney even) in Northern Suburbs. That softens up New York to Likely Dem, NJ and CT to tilt Dem (especially if RI is tossup), Vermont to lean or Tilt Dem and of course that brings us to the 1,000 pound elephant in the room, New... Tongue
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1820 on: April 21, 2017, 05:25:08 AM »

lmao!!! this thread has gone bad.

I know its controversial but I would advise against predicting state trends literally decades down the road.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1821 on: April 21, 2017, 11:53:49 AM »

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/lawsuit-georgia-is-suppressing-ga-6-voters-with-registration-deadline

This seems non-ambiguous. Runoffs are clearly defined as being applicable to the 30 days or less deadline requirement. I don't get why Georgia would even waste money on defending that.

Oh. Nevermind.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1822 on: April 21, 2017, 12:51:40 PM »

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/lawsuit-georgia-is-suppressing-ga-6-voters-with-registration-deadline

This seems non-ambiguous. Runoffs are clearly defined as being applicable to the 30 days or less deadline requirement. I don't get why Georgia would even waste money on defending that.

Oh. Nevermind.

The argument which the state regularly makes is that a runoff is not a separate election but an "extension" of a general election. Bit of strained logic, but there you are.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1823 on: April 21, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »

The thing that makes MS so precarious is that it is wholly dependent on white block voting to keep it Republican. If MS whites voted as Republican as they do in neighboring states, it would be a lean Democratic state. There is also the factor that the bulk of those White Republicans are concentrated in the age bracket 65 and above. By 2030, half of those people will be gone. That means that the White Vote is going to naturally trend downward for the GOP over the next several years as 90% GOP Seniors are replaced with 50-50 Millenials starting to vote more frequently.

So 2030 is not at all unreasonable for it to be tilt Dem state.

That might be true if MS white millennials were voting 50-50, but the NY Times demographics calculator said they voted 86 or 88% (I can't remember which) for Romney in 2012.  White millennials as a whole voted for Trump, so they of course voted overwhelmingly for Trump in Mississippi of all places.  If it ever goes Democratic (apart from in a landslide), it will simply be because the black vote outvoted the white vote, which doesn't seem to be that close to happening yet, considering the 2016 results.  There is no NOVA or Atlanta that could anchor Mississippi to a rapid trend like Virginia and, possibly, Georgia.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1824 on: April 21, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »

Oh. Nevermind.

The argument which the state regularly makes is that a runoff is not a separate election but an "extension" of a general election. Bit of strained logic, but there you are.

I think the language is very clear.  The NVRA text says that registration is allowed up to 30 days before the date of the election, or less if a shorter period is specified by state law.  https://www.justice.gov/crt/title-42-public-health-and-welfare-chapter-20-elective-franchise-subchapter-i-h-national-voter#anchor_1973gg

The key is the definition of "election", which title 42 says is:

The numbers have changed over the years, and 2:431 is now 52:30101, which you can find at http://www.fec.gov/law/feca/feca52.pdf and says (emphasis mine):

I don't see how the state has a case that a runoff isn't a separate election.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 120  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies