GA-6 Special election discussion thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:18:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-6 Special election discussion thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 ... 120
Author Topic: GA-6 Special election discussion thread  (Read 250133 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2500 on: June 09, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »

I find it somewhat odd that such a wealthy district like this has such an unfavorable view of the health act.

Polls a few years ago found the strongest opposition to the aca in suburban districts.

Maybe this suburb isn't as fiscally conservative as it first appeared
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2501 on: June 09, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »

Just saying though, while this poll is a good sign, it is very unlikely to be close to the final result. Democratic internals that I know of have it closer to dead even.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2502 on: June 09, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »

Not to get ahead of myself but if Ossoff manages to pull this off plus win again in 2018, do you see him as a viable Senate candidate in 2020. I feel like he could do terrific in a statewide race. He will have significant name ID in the state if he manages to defeat Handel.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2503 on: June 09, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »

Not to get ahead of myself but if Ossoff manages to pull this off plus win again in 2018, do you see him as a viable Senate candidate in 2020. I feel like he could do terrific in a statewide race. He will have significant name ID in the state if he manages to defeat Handel.

This is certainly speculative, but if it does happen I'm inclined to think he would be better off serving a few terms in the House before running for the Senate.  He needs to establish a record, and he's very young.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2504 on: June 09, 2017, 12:22:20 PM »

Just saying though, while this poll is a good sign, it is very unlikely to be close to the final result. Democratic internals that I know of have it closer to dead even.

With Ossoff ahead?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2505 on: June 09, 2017, 12:39:51 PM »

I find it somewhat odd that such a wealthy district like this has such an unfavorable view of the health act.

Polls a few years ago found the strongest opposition to the aca in suburban districts.

ACHA is much more unpopular all across the country.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2506 on: June 09, 2017, 02:29:41 PM »

Could be the country is developing groupthink against the bill, regardless of income level.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2507 on: June 09, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »

Ossoff's hitting 50-51% in polls now - that's good - but always beware the "undecideds" in Georgia. When you consider how they usually break and the simple margins of error in polling, I'm very skeptical that this is even a 3-5 point race right now.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2508 on: June 09, 2017, 02:50:54 PM »

Crosstabs for the AJC poll (68 pages!): http://www.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-6th-district-poll-crosstabs/dNc8JjOS3M8rQHgagKbfGP/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2509 on: June 09, 2017, 03:56:55 PM »

Wasserman: still a tossup, maybe tiny Ossoff lead.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2510 on: June 09, 2017, 03:59:51 PM »

Essentially if he had a label that was between Toss Up and Lean D it would be placed there, which I think is accurate.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #2511 on: June 09, 2017, 04:07:15 PM »

Essentially if he had a label that was between Toss Up and Lean D it would be placed there, which I think is accurate.
So tilt D?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2512 on: June 09, 2017, 04:13:30 PM »

A tossup with perhaps a tiny lead for one candidate is pretty much the definition of "Tilt". Smiley
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #2513 on: June 09, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »

A tossup with perhaps a tiny lead for one candidate is pretty much the definition of "Tilt". Smiley
Yup.  I think Ossoff has a slight advantage that might be in between tossup and tilt (if you can go that small) due to the Comey thing
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2514 on: June 09, 2017, 04:18:55 PM »

It's more that we are entering an era where people have become unusually willing to vote against their own (short-term?) economic interests.  Look at the UK election last night.  In US terms, some of those parliamentary seats the Tories just lost were the equivalent of The Woodlands, TX voting Bernie Sanders for president!  For as long as Trump remains president, why couldn't the wealthiest parts of Atlanta start voting like Atherton, CA already did last year?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2515 on: June 09, 2017, 05:52:31 PM »

Trump records robocall attacking Ossoff as a “tax-raising pro-illegal immigration Democrat” : http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/06/09/trump-robocall-slams-tax-raising-ossoff-in-georgia-6th-race/

Trump's approval rating in the district is 33%, according to the recent AJC poll.  This is supposed to help Handel?

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2516 on: June 09, 2017, 05:54:52 PM »

Found in these cross tabs:

54% of likely voters have been contacted in-person by Ossoff camp; only 25% contacted in-person by Handel camp
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2517 on: June 09, 2017, 06:12:39 PM »

I agree that the indications have been looking good for Ossoff, but be careful about going too far based on a very small sample of polls.  A cautionary note about the most recent one:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2518 on: June 09, 2017, 06:13:26 PM »

Wow. I am considering moving this to Likely D, but this pollster was also too Democratic-friendly in 2016.

That being said, I'm pretty sure Ossoff has this. I wouldn't say it's all about Trump, but the Democrats' campaign organization and ground game here has been pretty strong. This is another sign of wealthy, educated suburbs (and GA in general, of course) moving to the Democrats, whether RINO Tom likes it or not. Pretty sure GA-SEN 2022 will be Lean/Likely D at this rate, even if a Democrat is president.
Depends whether Trump is reelected or not.

But yes, demcrats would be fooled not to contest the senate seats in 2020 and 2022
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2519 on: June 09, 2017, 06:22:25 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2017, 06:27:37 PM by Zyzz »

If Trump's approval here is only ~33% and this remains about the same in 2018 and is relatively distributed across the country, the midterms will be a blood bath for the Republicans.

Stunning that Trump is only at 33% in a district that voted 4 points more Republican than the nation as a whole. Trump's deep unpopularity could cause a tsunami the nasty Republican gerrymanders could not have predicted in these wealthy suburbs. Places like suburban Philadelphia, Miami, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, and Houston will be big pickup opportunities in 2018.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2520 on: June 09, 2017, 07:34:18 PM »

If Trump's approval here is only ~33% and this remains about the same in 2018 and is relatively distributed across the country, the midterms will be a blood bath for the Republicans.

Stunning that Trump is only at 33% in a district that voted 4 points more Republican than the nation as a whole. Trump's deep unpopularity could cause a tsunami the nasty Republican gerrymanders could not have predicted in these wealthy suburbs. Places like suburban Philadelphia, Miami, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, and Houston will be big pickup opportunities in 2018.

I don't believe in uniform swings, and it's conceivable to me that Trump has fallen more in a district like this one than he would have fallen in a seat like, say, IA-4.

What is interesting is how fast things appear to be moving in GA.  Historically it would take another 10-20 years for a congressional district that went from a landslide to a statistical tie at the presidential level to be statistically tied or won by the opposition party at the congressional level.  Now, it's happening in less than a year.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2521 on: June 09, 2017, 07:57:58 PM »

I don't believe in uniform swings, and it's conceivable to me that Trump has fallen more in a district like this one than he would have fallen in a seat like, say, IA-4.

What is interesting is how fast things appear to be moving in GA.  Historically it would take another 10-20 years for a congressional district that went from a landslide to a statistical tie at the presidential level to be statistically tied or won by the opposition party at the congressional level.  Now, it's happening in less than a year.

As I've said before, a lot of votes for Price last november were to place a check on Clinton, who everyone assumed would be elected President. With Trump that factor is gone.
Ridge
Rookie
« Reply #2522 on: June 09, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »

Whichever party wins this will be drowning in monetary contributions by that Thursday.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2523 on: June 09, 2017, 08:53:17 PM »

I love how in that robocall, Trump did what he does when he reads anything (teleprompters, paper scripts, etc) for the first time: injects his own commentary mid-sentence to reaffirm.

Then what follows:

Do they realize what district this is?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2524 on: June 09, 2017, 09:07:24 PM »

As I've said before, a lot of votes for Price last november were to place a check on Clinton, who everyone assumed would be elected President. With Trump that factor is gone.

If that holds, I could see even places like GA-07, VA-07, TX-03 and TX-02 where Trump barely cleared 50-52% being competitive by 2020.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 ... 120  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies