GA-6 Special election discussion thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:40:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-6 Special election discussion thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GA-6 Special election discussion thread  (Read 250682 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 06, 2017, 10:12:06 AM »

Also, considering that most Republicans under 30 are extremely socially awkward basement-dwelling Anime and sci-fi fans, is nerd-shaming really such a smart strategy?
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »

Also, considering that most Republicans under 30 are extremely socially awkward basement-dwelling Anime and sci-fi fans, is nerd-shaming really such a smart strategy?

You post on Atlas Forum; you're really in no position to be calling anyone a socially awkward nerd.

Au contraire, who better to assess whether someone is in fact a socially awkward nerd than a socially awkward nerd? Wink

I don't think that's a real good portrayal of republicans under 30...

Well that description certainly fits Trump's most vocal supporters, at least in cyberspace, and people who basically fit  that description are the reason Trump did so much better with White Millennials than McCain or Romney did. The very religious, children of rich kids, and Southern Frat Boys and Sorority Girls support Trump too, but they've been strongly Republican for decades, and thus their being such isn't particularly remarkable or interesting.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 06:32:36 PM »

That article also says the Congressional Leadership Fund (R) polling shows:

-Ossoff leading with 37%
-Ossoff favorability 41/30 (+11)
-Trump favorability (+6)
-Pelosi favorability 25/66 (-41)

This is why Pelosi should have gone a long time ago, even today she still polls worse than Paul Ryan and she hasn't had the Speakership in 7 years. I do think she motivates Rs and continues to be an effective bogeyman for them.

Yeah it's pretty mind-boggling that she's STILL the minority leader after all these years. Though probably that's because nobody else really wants the job, same as with Ryan.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 12:18:15 AM »

Well Republicans got 51% or so of the combined vote in the primary, so assuming turnout is the same, he needs to pick up votes somewhere.

Yes, but in the primary there was a Republican candidate for everyone. Will Trumpists and Teabaggers support a country-clubber like Handel? We know the reverse is true, but I need to see further convincing that the reverse is. And remember, Handel can't afford to lose even 10% of the other R candidates' votes.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 01:25:43 PM »

I saw this on DK today, and I have to ask, who exactly is putting together these emails for Ossoff?

Is trying to digitally guilt someone really the best way to solicit money?

Many of the Democratic PACs & whatnot that have my email are written in this style: it must work in getting liberal old ladies to fork over their money, but I hate it.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 11:32:32 AM »

Big gaffe gaining traction on twitter from Handel from the debate:

Geez, that's a very Palin-esque gaffe. What a moron. She cannot possibly be able to cover that up.

This isn't quite as devastating as it would be in a less wealthy district, but it's still terrible
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 08:32:41 AM »

If Ossoff somehow manages to win, do you think that the chances are good that he will join the Blue Dog Coalition? I think he would at least consider it. Based on his platform and personality, he would fit in very well.
There's a decent chance he would but why would it matter? Blue Dogs are pretty much irrelevant these days. There are only 18 of them now, and most of them are pretty different from traditional Blue Dogs.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 10:10:36 AM »

Serious question: are negative ads, or ones that make baseless claims, likely to be less effective on a more educated electorate?  This is one of the most educated districts in the U.S.

I watched the debate, and Handel's constant referencing of SAN FRANCSICO struck me as tone-deaf and outdated. I wonder if voters know that the San Francisco of right-wing imagination no longer exists, since everyone making less than 500k has basically been expelled from the city and it's now all tech bros and rich foreigners.

A Republican party chair thinks that Scalise's shooting will give Handel the edge in the race.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
This may end up being true, but it's important to note that especially in a district like this one, the shooting won't make voters want to give Trump a blank check, and many of those who did vote for him were voting against Hillary Clinton rather than for Donald Trump. Also, looking at acts of political violence over the last few years (the Giffords Shooting, the Charleston Church Massacre, the various attacks on Muslims by right-wing extremists or Trump supporters) none seems to have had a permanent effect on political discourse: it might be that because violence and mass shootings happen so often now that they've been normalized. The Alexandria shooting wasn't particularly notable because it happened: it was notable because of who the victims were.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies