Inside look at the Trump White House...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:22:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Inside look at the Trump White House...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Inside look at the Trump White House...  (Read 860 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2017, 10:15:44 PM »

An inside look at the Trump White House:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-sounds-pretty-messy-163607248.html

1. No one knows how to work the lights. "Aides confer in the dark because they cannot figure out how to operate the light switches in the cabinet room."

2. Trump didn't realize he was signing an executive order to put his chief strategist Steve Bannon on the National Security Council. And the president is angry "that he was not fully briefed" about it. This apparently made Trump more upset than the bungled travel ban rollout, but it doesn't seem to have diminished Bannon's power as Trump's most important advisor.

3. Trump is "obsessed with the décor" of the White House." He is especially into the gold drapes. The president "was delighted to page through a book that offered him 17 window covering options." He chose Bill Clinton's old curtains but incorrectly told a visitor they had been used by Franklin D. Roosevelt.

4. The only photo behind Trump's Oval Office desk is one of his father, Frederick Christ Trump. The desk itself is "now heaped, in Trump Tower fashion, with memos and newspapers."

5. Trump is even more isolated now. He goes upstairs around 6:30 and then "he is almost always by himself." No Melania, no Barron, but occasionally his former security chief Keith Schiller is there to keep company.

6. He finds out what's happening in the world by watching cable TV. As much as he claims to hate the media, Trump is a heavy consumer of it. He watches TV "in his bathrobe," he watches TV "while eating lunch," and he watches TV "both at night and during the day - too much in the eyes of some aides - often offering a bitter play-by-play of critics like CNN's Don Lemon."

7. Trump pays special attention to Sean Spicer's press briefings. The press secretary gets monitored and then Trump gives "praise or criticism." Together, Trump and Spicer go through news clips and Trump uses a black Sharpie to mark what he doesn't like "with a big arrow."

8. There was no long-term plan. "One former staff member likened the aggressive approach of the first two weeks to D-Day, but said the president's team had stormed the beaches without any plan for a longer war." This might have to do with Bannon's belief that there would only be a short period during which he could most efficiently enact his vision. ""We are moving big and we are moving fast," Bannon told the Times.

9. Actually, there was a plan, but it got torn up. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie put together a "detailed staffing and implementation plan" before he was fired from the transition team. Then, "a senior Trump aide made a show of tossing it into a garbage can."

10. There is now a process for new initiatives. The messiness of the first few weeks has prompted chief of staff Reince Priebus to create a more formal process, a "10-point checklist" that requires getting different people to sign off. This is "a new set of checks on the previously unfettered power enjoyed by Mr. Bannon and the White House policy director, Stephen Miller."

11. The backlash is getting to Trump. The president, up until very recently, thought things were going well with his administration, but the protests and bad headlines have been getting to him. He reportedly asked an aide, "What are we going to do about this?"

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:30:41 PM »

It almost makes me feel sorry for him, with all that loneliness and the isolated life style, messy desks, constant worrying. I would have to be in a state of deep depression to do the things he's doing.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:31:34 PM »

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 10:31:43 PM »

F**k partisan politics right now reps why doesn't this scare you?!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:34:37 PM »

This is a scary list for sure, but I have a question about #2... I've seen this bandied about a few times. If Trump didn't intend to put Bannon on the NSC, can't he just kick him out? How was it a mistake, if he hasn't corrected it? I think he intended that one.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 10:36:51 PM »

This is the logical conclusion of a party that has spent the past several decades doing their best to put into practice their pathological hatred of the very concept of (small-d) democratic governance (which explains their authoritarianism along with their love of the military/military-industrial complex, law enforcement, subsidies to corporations and rich people which take numerous forms...).
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 10:37:08 PM »

Get rid of DACA and support Cruz's term limit amendment already. Now is not the time for sloth.
Eharding

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 10:38:27 PM »

The ban also should have been a Muslim ban.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 10:41:04 PM »

This just proves that Trump is actually Nixon's ghost back with a vengeance.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 11:05:41 PM »

This is a scary list for sure, but I have a question about #2... I've seen this bandied about a few times. If Trump didn't intend to put Bannon on the NSC, can't he just kick him out? How was it a mistake, if he hasn't corrected it? I think he intended that one.

Just a guess, but removing him after that would make him look incompetent. Not that we don't already know what happened now, but him acting on it officially would be him essentially admitting he made a mistake (and got bamboozled by Bannon too). Trump would rather the Earth plunge into a nuclear winter than admit he was wrong or made a mistake.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 11:37:39 PM »

every one feared Trump as some fascist 25D chess art of the deal genius manipulator but he really is just a clueless dope

Well, when there's evil involved, it's always better if they're stupid.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 12:18:52 AM »

It almost makes me feel sorry for him, with all that loneliness and the isolated life style, messy desks, constant worrying. I would have to be in a state of deep depression to do the things he's doing.

Never feel bad for that guy.

Disgusting.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 08:43:08 AM »

He can't do that for the reason why he didn't quit his campaign once it turned into something more than the book selling tour he'd expected it to be. Changing course would ruin his personal brand. That's Trump's biggest flaw: he's so scared of looking silly that he does silly things so as to avoid that.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 08:53:44 AM »

9. Actually, there was a plan, but it got torn up. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie put together a "detailed staffing and implementation plan" before he was fired from the transition team. Then, "a senior Trump aide made a show of tossing it into a garbage can."

I feel really bad for Chris Christie... and nobody else
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »

Never feel bad for that guy.

Disgusting.

I did say almost Tongue
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 09:16:26 AM »

George Wallace. Richard Nixon is underrated.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 09:47:32 AM »

I absolutely do not have any pity for this man he is a vile human being. He has little empathy for anybody besides his kids and himself. Maybe if he wasn't a raging xenophobe who wanted to ban my people, a womanizer who likes to grab women by their genitalia, or an all out douchebag maybe I would have a Little Bit of Sympathy for him but no, instead he is what he is. He deserves isolated seclusion from the rest of us.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 12:34:52 PM »

George Wallace. Richard Nixon is underrated.

He has the paranoia of Nixon and the controversy of George Wallace.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 01:41:09 PM »

Why?  He's soulless crook without a scrap of basic human decency who was all too willing to let himself be reduced to a fast-food delivery boy for an egomaniacal man-child who looks like some sort of Orangutan-human hybrid from the Island of Dr. Moreau.  Christie got exactly what he deserved, as far as I'm concerned (well...aside from the fact that he isn't a convicted felon and still has his law license, so actually he got off easy).  
Eharding

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 02:58:19 PM »

Why?  He's soulless crook without a scrap of basic human decency who was all too willing to let himself be reduced to a fast-food delivery boy for an egomaniacal man-child who looks like some sort of Orangutan-human hybrid from the Island of Dr. Moreau.  Christie got exactly what he deserved, as far as I'm concerned (well...aside from the fact that he isn't a convicted felon and still has his law license, so actually he got off easy).  

-Pretty much.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 04:02:31 PM »

Nixon wanted to trump to run for president.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 04:10:42 PM »

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Trump's Razor:  "ascertain the stupidest possible scenario that can be reconciled with the available facts" and that answer is likely correct.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/the-scythian-slice-of-trump-s-razor
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies