How long should one live in a state to not be considered a carpetbagger?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:45:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How long should one live in a state to not be considered a carpetbagger?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How long should one live in a state to not be considered a carpetbagger?  (Read 637 times)
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2017, 12:36:04 PM »

Beyond the minimum requirements for residency, how long should a candidate live in a state or district before they can no longer be considered a carpetbagger?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:47:48 PM »

More than any specific length of time, I feel it's more about their depth of connection to the state they're wishing to represent. Were they raised there? Attend university? Get married there? Raise kids there? Represent a lower office in the state? Work in the private sector there for a significant time period? Or are they running there because it's politically expedient to do so, especially if they've "wedded" themselves to another state already politically?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 12:49:11 PM »

three generations.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »

More than any specific length of time, I feel it's more about their depth of connection to the state they're wishing to represent. Were they raised there? Attend university? Get married there? Raise kids there? Represent a lower office in the state? Work in the private sector there for a significant time period? Or are they running there because it's politically expedient to do so, especially if they've "wedded" themselves to another state already politically?

I would agree with this to some extent.

Mostly it's a matter of whether they're running in the district simply to run and get political power, or if they actually have a vested interest in the district that they live in and are running in.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 01:07:46 PM »

Let's say that they went to college and grad school in the state, and then lived there for a decade after. Are they a carpetbagger?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »

Rep. Dina Titus (D-NV) is originally from Georgia and still speaks in a southern drawl. She hasn't had any problems.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 02:28:56 PM »

Rep. Dina Titus (D-NV) is originally from Georgia and still speaks in a southern drawl. She hasn't had any problems.

Well, most of Nevada isn't originally from Nevada. Tongue
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 02:48:44 PM »

You can totally get away with living in a district less than a year. Provided, that is, that you are able to pull off an epic shutdown of carpetbagging accusations like this:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »

Depends on the area. There are places like Seattle where it's hard to find anyone who was actually born and raised in the city, and so they don't judge their legislators as much for carpetbagging.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 04:05:12 PM »

until trump start deportations a lot of democratic voters in calfornia are carpet bagger they arent even Americans!
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 04:24:53 PM »

I think five years is more than enough for any state.

It's funny you should say that because my hometown is Phoenix, but I was born in Reno, Nevada.

My father actually knows Brian Sandoval who was born in California and I've met Congressman Mark Amodei in Washington, D.C. who was born in Carson City, Nevada.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 05:21:02 PM »

It's funny you should say that because my hometown is Phoenix, but I was born in Reno, Nevada.

Hey, we were born in the same city. Tongue
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »

Likewise, Louise Slaughter has been re-elected in Rochester for decades, but has the thickest Kentucky accent you'll ever hear.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 05:45:14 PM »

How long did you live there? I lived there for almost thirteen years.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »

How long did you live there? I lived there for almost thirteen years.

I lived there for about 16 years.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 09:33:42 PM »

Depends on the location. I know in my province it takes about a generation before you aren't a 'come from away', but we're pretty insular.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 09:45:01 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2017, 09:48:21 PM by ExtremeRepublican »

Let's say that they went to college and grad school in the state, and then lived there for a decade after. Are they a carpetbagger?

Not at all.  That person didn't move there to run for office, and it would probably look more strange for them to go back somewhere else at that point (and then immediately run for office).  Here, our Speaker of the House and nearly half of our House delegation weren't born here, but it never is a problem for them because they have all lived here for a long time after moving for non-political reasons.  Interesting to me was the 4th District primary, where native Iowan/South Dakotan Scott DesJarlais's supporters attacked native Californian (but who moved around so much in his childhood that he didn't grow up in any one place) Grant Starrett as a carpetbagger.  That didn't have much merit relative to Tennessee (he moved here for law school several years ago), but it did have merit for the 4th District (which he only had lived in for a couple months before starting his campaign).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies