French Presidential Election 22 April 2007 Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:25:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French Presidential Election 22 April 2007 Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: French Presidential Election 22 April 2007 Thread  (Read 88084 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: April 07, 2007, 11:23:47 AM »

I'm guessing that I'd be a Sarkozy supporter (as I wait for someone to call me a Le Pen backer... Tongue ). Bayrou seems to close to the left for me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 11:25:17 AM »

No way is Le Pen going to get over 20% of the vote. The highest that he could ever achieve, in my mind, is about 18% or 19%. I think that's really the upper level for the far right.

How much did he get last time?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 11:30:12 AM »

No way is Le Pen going to get over 20% of the vote. The highest that he could ever achieve, in my mind, is about 18% or 19%. I think that's really the upper level for the far right.

16,84% and Megret, dissident, 2,34%

Ok, I am fairly new to this stuff so please explain what I bolded if you get a chance.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 11:40:10 AM »

16,84% and Megret, dissident, 2,34%

Ok, I am fairly new to this stuff so please explain what I bolded if you get a chance.

Megret was the n°2 of the FN before his "putch-putch" in 1998. Today, he supports Le Pen and I think that his voters too.

So he was a different candidate. Now I understand.

I'm guessing that I'd be a Sarkozy supporter (as I wait for someone to call me a Le Pen backer... Tongue ). Bayrou seems to close to the left for me.

probably. Sarkozy is clearly the most american-friendly candidate. Le Pen is anti-american candidate (but not his daughter who, some years ago, had meet US GOP politicians) and anti-israel too.

Yeah, I knew Le Pen was anti America/Israel. He seems to be a real nutcase.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ugh.

I wouldn't say that I am like Tancredo on immigration anyway.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 03:26:26 PM »

I can't believe that nearly half of the electorate is still undecided. Is this common?

Also, what is this about the campaign "officially" starting today (a little under two weeks before voting begins)?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 09:22:36 AM »

The Sarkozy-Royal runoff seems way too close yet I get the feeling that many here think Royal definetley won't win.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 12:32:01 PM »

After hearing a bunch of Italians talk about Italy (they live there, not New Jersey descendants), and taking into account the whole mafia situation in the South, I'm not so sure if Italy is still a first-world country to be honest. That, and the descriptions from my dad when he had to go to Naples for a couple weeks in spring 2003 before he had to go to Iraq. Naples he said was an absolute dump. I told him over the phone Naples is pretty much the Detroit of Europe. Cheesy

I don't know if Naples is that bad.  Tongue  I've been there twice and it was ok. Then again, I stayed around the port the whole time. I guess I'm just going to naturally defend the city because my family is originally from a small village just outside of the city.

I think Sicily is a bit more beautiful.  Tongue  I'll hopefully get to see first hand next year when I go to Italy for the third time.

Back on topic...

I'd love to see another runoff with Le Pen mainly because I fear Royal upsetting Sarkozy. Le Pen is also a lot more entertaining. I was watching an exchange between he and Sarkozy from some French talkshow the other day. It was quite amusing. Le Pen is the definition of a loose cannon.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 04:10:57 PM »

Just what I was worried about...

Sarkozy slipping towards the end - http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/17/europe/EU-POL-France-Election.php
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 09:47:59 AM »

Oh, one more thing. Anyone interested in a prediction contest?

First Round

Sarkozy - 30%
Royal - 27%
Le Pen - 18%
Bayrou - 16%
Others - 9%
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 10:18:03 AM »

So how does this work - do the polls open Friday and close Sunday with the results of the first round?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 12:51:45 PM »

So how does this work - do the polls open Friday and close Sunday with the results of the first round?

As far as I know voting starts Saturday morning (local time) in Polynesia and ends at 8pm Sunday (local time - Mainland France).

Also, voters in French-Guyana in South-America are voting on Saturday, maybe on Sunday too, but I donīt really know.

They canīt vote until 8pm local (Guyana Time), because they would still be voting when the results are announced in mainland France, 8pm local time.

45 Mio. French are eligible to vote.

Ok well does anyone know for sure what time and day the polls open and close mainland France time? I could also convert the time to EST on my own.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 12:59:52 PM »

As far as I know voting starts Saturday morning (local time) in Polynesia and ends at 8pm Sunday (local time - Mainland France).

Also, voters in French-Guyana in South-America are voting on Saturday, maybe on Sunday too, but I donīt really know.

They canīt vote until 8pm local (Guyana Time), because they would still be voting when the results are announced in mainland France, 8pm local time.

45 Mio. French are eligible to vote.

Ok well does anyone know for sure what time and day the polls open and close mainland France time? I could also convert the time to EST on my own.

Mainland France:

Open - 8am local time, Sunday
Close - 6pm smaller towns, 8pm bigger cities

Oversea Dept.:

Donīt know, I just know they start voting on Saturday.

Ok so someone please explain why this thread says April 20, 2007.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 04:26:15 PM »

Yeah, I can see this bit...fine woman becoming a problem if elected...

I am most certainly not a fan of France but I, as an American, have quite a bit of interest in who wins this thing. I think it's about time we had a friend in France.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 10:35:32 AM »

Does anyone know any TV channels that we Americans will be able to watch the results on?

The C-SPANs might cover some of it Sunday. I think we're going to be stuck following the results online. Anyone know of any French websites that would be helpful with results as they come in? Hopefully, some French TV stations have coverage streaming online.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 09:25:34 AM »

CNN election coverage - http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/04/16/france.programming/
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 12:50:06 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2007, 01:20:09 PM by Keystone Phil »

This is an NBC News Special Report - Britain's Decision - 2005

Good evening, America. This is Tom Brokaw reporting live from London. We are now ready to call Dumfries and Galloway for...

Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 10:46:26 AM »

Turnout is at 74% with about three hours remaining.

France 24 is having an election special in about two hours. They also have English coverage - http://www.france24.com/france24Public/en/news/world.html;jsessionid=CDF6C9D6BB0CA36CE686EDCF3D6DAF2B
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 11:35:47 AM »

Polls should be closing in about an hour and a half, right?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »

Where is everyone getting the results from?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 11:51:26 AM »

I read that the "official" results won't be announced until the 25th. Will we still know who won by tonight?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies