The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:01:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24
Author Topic: The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states  (Read 90054 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2017, 08:04:54 PM »

But for people like Sessions, I think this is clearly seen as a moral issue more than a medical issue, though it's also generational and that's why I think we'll see more marijuana-friendly legislation from Congress and the states as older politicians from both parties are steadily replaced by younger ones.  I think eventually this won't be a partisan issue.

Absolutely. While he was extended an invite to view Colorado's system first hand, I don't really think Sessions cares if it works or not, if it makes a ton of money or not, if it reduces opioid use or if it helps people manage pain/nausea/etc. Sessions just doesn't want it legal. Period. He genuinely doesn't seem to care what benefits it has, and often tries to delegitimize any good aspects of cannabis consumption. If cannabis hadn't received such strong public support and brought in a ton of tax revenue for various states, I'm sure the Trump administration would have moved quickly to dismantle any semblance of legalization in this country, possibly for medical marijuana as well.

This is what drives me up the wall with anti-marijuana crusaders like Sessions. They don't care about any of the benefits. They just don't like cannabis and they'll make up their own facts & ignore real ones to bolster their position.

The only way to fight back against people like them on this issue is to make sure they never have any power to actually implement their failed ideas.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2017, 09:00:21 AM »

Just a question since I haven't really followed marijuana legalization too closely.

The legalization of recreational marijuana in California is kind of a big deal for the legalization effort right?

California is the world's 6th largest economy, so legalization there is bound to have a massive financial impact on the marijuana industry and California itself. I mean, I've seen some estimates that put the tax revenue gained by this measure in the billions. Not to mention the indirect benefits of reduced criminal justice costs, increased tourism, and jobs.

Isn't this a death knell to the prohibition movement? The effects of legalization in California are going reverberate throughout the country, no?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2017, 07:44:57 PM »

Congress gives Sessions $0 to go after states with medical marijuana laws (Rohrabacher-Farr amendment)

Just a question since I haven't really followed marijuana legalization too closely.

The legalization of recreational marijuana in California is kind of a big deal for the legalization effort right?

California is the world's 6th largest economy, so legalization there is bound to have a massive financial impact on the marijuana industry and California itself. I mean, I've seen some estimates that put the tax revenue gained by this measure in the billions. Not to mention the indirect benefits of reduced criminal justice costs, increased tourism, and jobs.

Isn't this a death knell to the prohibition movement? The effects of legalization in California are going reverberate throughout the country, no?

I would think that's a good analysis, yes.  I'm not sure what the status of California's industry is right now.  (Is it even legal yet?)  But if California is anywhere near as successful as Colorado was, weed will be a very, very difficult thing to touch.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2017, 09:19:53 PM »

Congress gives Sessions $0 to go after states with medical marijuana laws (Rohrabacher-Farr amendment)

I would think that's a good analysis, yes.  I'm not sure what the status of California's industry is right now.  (Is it even legal yet?)  But if California is anywhere near as successful as Colorado was, weed will be a very, very difficult thing to touch.

I believe California's recreational marijuana law goes into effect in 2018.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2017, 11:41:59 PM »

Win-win situation. If Scott signs it, legal weed in one more state. If he vetoes it, it's something to attack Scott on.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2017, 06:09:54 PM »

Apparently there's a legalization bill in *Texas* that wasn't killed off immediately that's cleares committee and might actually get a debate. Crazy
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »

Apparently there's a legalization bill in *Texas* that wasn't killed off immediately that's cleares committee and might actually get a debate. Crazy

Republicans that support it in red states should try and use the line that it will "tax the sh**t out of liberals" and it'll probably get more support.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2017, 01:24:56 PM »

If Scott does nothing recreational Marijuana will become legal on 12:01am on Thursday I believe. I think he's not going to sign or veto and just let it pass.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2017, 02:58:24 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2017, 02:59:59 AM by Senator Scott »

Scott will announce his decision tomorrow (well, today).  I'll be disappointed if he vetoes, but I don't think it will mean a whole lot either way.  If he signs it, you're probably not going to see a bunch of pot shops open up next year in Vermont because it doesn't really provide a legal framework for sales to operate under.  It only "de-illegalizes" and opens up a commission to study the effects of a regulated marijuana market.  If he vetoes it, then we can probably expect a full legalization bill the next time a Democratic governor is elected.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »

And Scott vetoes it.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/24/news/vermont-marijuana-legalization/index.html
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2017, 12:14:53 PM »

Boo!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »

BRING ME THE HEAD OF PHIL SCOTT
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2017, 01:55:13 PM by Senator Scott »

Kind of what I was expecting, really.  Scott told the legislature to toughen penalties for stoned driving and giving pot to children, and fund more for regulation and education.  So it ain't over yet.

EDIT: VT legislature doesn't convene until January.  Ugh.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2017, 02:00:14 PM »

Kind of what I was expecting, really.  Scott told the legislature to toughen penalties for stoned driving and giving pot to children, and fund more for regulation and education.  So it ain't over yet.

I don't get why they couldn't have just done that from the start. Now, granted, I don't exactly know what Gov. Scott meant by "toughen penalties" for those two things, but it doesn't sound unreasonable.

But, whatever. It's probably going to happen there sooner than later, unless Vermont wants to give up all that potential tax revenue. Save for Maine and Massachusetts both somehow nullifying the legalization measures passed last year, New England will soon be flooded with weed and anyone still holding out is just going to miss out on the good times and dank profits Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »

Also it's interesting that Scott is to the left of Andrew Cuomo on this issue.  But that's Vermont for you.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2017, 02:18:17 PM »

I don't get why they couldn't have just done that from the start. Now, granted, I don't exactly know what Gov. Scott meant by "toughen penalties" for those two things, but it doesn't sound unreasonable.

IIRC the bill itself was a compromised version of a more ambitious proposal anyway.  Scott probably didn't want to be the one making the final call on this.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Very true! Smiley
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »

Rosenstein talks down pot, suggests possible changes to the Cole memo in the future, Tom Wolf tells Sessions to back off.

Per Rosenstein: I don't know what "it’s a very complicated issue for us" means.  Probably more empty rhetoric since Congress has its finger on a lot of this and I don't think they have the appetite to sue the states they represent.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »

Rosenstein talks down pot, suggests possible changes to the Cole memo in the future, Tom Wolf tells Sessions to back off.

Per Rosenstein: I don't know what "it’s a very complicated issue for us" means.  Probably more empty rhetoric since Congress has its finger on a lot of this and I don't think they have the appetite to sue the states they represent.

It's possible such actions could expedite the implementation of a funding ban on prosecutions or investigations related to cannabis in legalized states, similar to the current Rohrabacher–Farr amendment.

-

Also, I forgot to post this when I read it, but:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/florida-politics-blog/fl-reg-medical-marijuana-passes-20170609-story.html

Unfortunately those snakes still kept the smoking ban in, although I'm not sure how you would enforce that so long as actual smokeable herb is able to be sold.

I hope the eventual lawsuits filed over this work out, as these lawmakers are blatantly going against the spirit of the amendment - an amendment that passed with massive support. It really bugs me that they just can't accept what the people voted for. If 71% of the state votes for something, those lawmakers ought to properly and fairly implement it, even if they don't personally agree. Their personal position on this should be irrelevant.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »

I was at a county-level LP event last night and we had a speaker from LegalizeMI on the petition to get legalization of recreational marihuana on the ballot for 2018 here in Michigan. They are 'well on their way' in the signature drive.

It had a decent compromise on the number of plants (12), punishment for possession (fines and misdemeanors instead of felonies for under 21 possession or personally carrying more than 2.5 oz). Revenue wise it was in the middle with 10% excise tax plus 6% state sales tax. Again not perfect but perhaps they can get it to pass.

My one concern is it would be a midterm election and likely prohibition voters typically skew higher for the midterms than the presidential elections.

So far the numbers don't look bad.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »

I was at a county-level LP event last night and we had a speaker from LegalizeMI on the petition to get legalization of recreational marihuana on the ballot for 2018 here in Michigan. They are 'well on their way' in the signature drive.

It had a decent compromise on the number of plants (12), punishment for possession (fines and misdemeanors instead of felonies for under 21 possession or personally carrying more than 2.5 oz). Revenue wise it was in the middle with 10% excise tax plus 6% state sales tax. Again not perfect but perhaps they can get it to pass.

My one concern is it would be a midterm election and likely prohibition voters typically skew higher for the midterms than the presidential elections.

So far the numbers don't look bad.

Is this the ballot initiative?

https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_Marijuana_Legalization_Initiative_(2018)

So if I'm reading this correctly 252,523 valid signatures are required.... what's the number looking like thus far?

Year   Initiated amendment   Initiated statute   Veto referendum
2018   315,654   252,523   157,827
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2017, 08:32:09 PM »

Utah Patients Coalition working to get medical marijuana on the ballot in Utah:

As a local, I think it'll pass. Enough people support medical marijuana (even with the Reefer Madness attitude among the halls of power in the state) that if they can get it to the ballot, it'll win. The most recent campaigns have even been headed by active Mormon moms who are a far cry from the stereotypical view of a medical marijuana user.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2017, 10:19:40 PM »

As a local, I think it'll pass. Enough people support medical marijuana (even with the Reefer Madness attitude among the halls of power in the state) that if they can get it to the ballot, it'll win. The most recent campaigns have even been headed by active Mormon moms who are a far cry from the stereotypical view of a medical marijuana user.

Hmmm... that's pretty interesting.

Any feedback yet from the LDS leadership on this potential ballot initiative yet?

Assuming based upon what you have posted that it would be a high CBD/ Low THC scene?

Based upon your experience and knowledge of Utah politics, how difficult would it be to get this initiative on the ballot to meet the signature requirements?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2017, 10:33:12 PM »

Hmmm... that's pretty interesting.

Any feedback yet from the LDS leadership on this potential ballot initiative yet?

Assuming based upon what you have posted that it would be a high CBD/ Low THC scene?

Based upon your experience and knowledge of Utah politics, how difficult would it be to get this initiative on the ballot to meet the signature requirements?

You're in luck, because it turns out the LDS Church put out this statement yesterday:

Basically, they're on the MOAR RESEARCH BUT SERIOUSLY, REEFER MADNESS GUYS train. Though they have actually supported extremely limited, low-THC cannaboid oil treatments for sick kids.

And I don't know much about CBD and THC, but from what I understand, all serious efforts to legalize it in Utah have focused on low THC treatments.

As for getting the initiative on the ballot, it's rather difficult, but doable. A decade ago, we managed to force lawmakers to put vouchers on the ballot (when they wanted to pass it secretly in the legislature) and then crushed vouchers by a ballot vote, so its certainly doable if the will is there. And even with the LDS Church's refusal to really support medical marijuana, I think it will pass. Most Mormons don't even think of marijuana as Reefer Madness anymore, and a lot of people have sick relatives and friends who could use medical marijuana. Heck, recent efforts have been spearheaded by faithful Mormon moms, as I said.

And only tangentially related, but Utah was the deciding state to overturn Prohibition, despite the then LDS Church President Heber J Grant being vocally and politically in favor of Prohibition.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2017, 11:54:08 PM »

As of midnight (Nevada time), marijuana is officially legal in the state.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2017, 09:31:35 PM »

As of midnight (Nevada time), marijuana is officially legal in the state.

There are (44) local retail shops something like (34) in Las Vegas (3) in Reno and (7) elsewhere?

Maybe my math is wrong, but its pretty dang close....

I suspect the major shortage of a local supply-chain, lack of local Subject Matter Experts (SME), not to mention the dearth of Knowledge, Skills, and Experience (KSE) will in the short-term benefit small family farmers in Oregon and Colorado to meet the demand in a market that might well exceeds Colorado within the next 5 years ("What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas")....

Although Herb isn't really my "bag" anymore, I still celebrate the expansion of freedom and end of prohibition in yet another state in the Union....

Tax, Regulate, reduce the economic and social costs of mass incarceration involved with non-violent drug related offenses (Traditionally targeting MJ), and take the revenue to focus on much more pressing societal problems including education and drug treatment programs, rather than how Nevada used to be.... (Real vintage sign image used below)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies