Kerry Sees Armstrong As a Politician
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:32:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kerry Sees Armstrong As a Politician  (Read 1585 times)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2005, 11:43:14 AM »

By JOHN LEICESTER, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 39 minutes ago

Sen. John Kerry thinks Lance Armstrong would make a terrific politician — but fears he'd be running for the other party.

Watching Armstrong during his warmup for Saturday's time trial, the Democrat from Massachusetts listed the Texan's winning qualities.

"What's made him so special at the Tour de France, and as an athlete, is the level of focus, discipline, intelligence, strategic ability, and obviously, his endurance — his ability to just take it on and go," Kerry said.

Those qualities would serve Armstrong well in politics, Kerry said. But Armstrong is also friendly with fellow Texan President Bush.

"I think he'd be awesome, he'd be a force. I just hope it's for the right party," said Kerry, an avid cyclist and longtime fan of the Tour de France.

Kerry said he had tapes of last year's Tour delivered during his presidential campaign last year.

Armstrong, who plans to retire after this year's Tour, sealed a historic seventh straight victory Sunday. He has not ruled out a career in politics after he quits.

Like Armstrong admirers around the world, Kerry wears the yellow rubber "Live Strong" wristband produced by the cyclist's cancer-fighting organization.

"He's a terrific person with an unbelievable personal story, and he understands the seriousness of a number of different choices," Kerry said of Armstrong's comeback from cancer.

"It's one of the great sporting accomplishments of all time," he said. "The sheer willpower is stunning."
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 01:37:13 PM »

Armstrong is pro-choice, pro-gun control, anti-Iraq War, pro-separation of State and Church. Seems a much better fit for the Democrats if you ask me, but then that never stopped Ahnuld.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 02:09:50 PM »

KERRY/ARMSTRONG 08!!!!!!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 02:37:37 PM »

hahaha
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 02:40:32 PM »

haha
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 03:14:33 PM »

Armstrong is pro-choice, pro-gun control, anti-Iraq War, pro-separation of State and Church. Seems a much better fit for the Democrats if you ask me, but then that never stopped Ahnuld.

How do you know his stances on issues?

The athlete I think would make a good politician is Al Leiter, former met pitcher and current yankee.  He's a vocal republican, a good speaker, very smart, and even was nicknamed 'the senator' with the Mets.  I think I heard some mumblings about the NJGOP courting him for a future senate run and he was GOP 'dude of the week' on some right-wing website.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 03:42:50 PM »

How do you know his stances on issues?

The athlete I think would make a good politician is Al Leiter, former met pitcher and current yankee.  He's a vocal republican, a good speaker, very smart, and even was nicknamed 'the senator' with the Mets.  I think I heard some mumblings about the NJGOP courting him for a future senate run and he was GOP 'dude of the week' on some right-wing website.

Al has been mentioned a few times, I'm also wondering how you know Lance's stances.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 06:17:23 PM »

Lance Armstrong is a Democrat.

This is already fairly well known. He may run for governor of Texas in the future.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 06:21:24 PM »

I was watching the Tpur de France on CBS today, and the interviewer asked him about possibly becoming a politician in the future. He didn't seem too terribly keen on it, but he didn't rule out the possibility either.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 06:31:15 PM »

I was watching the Tpur de France on CBS today, and the interviewer asked him about possibly becoming a politician in the future. He didn't seem too terribly keen on it, but he didn't rule out the possibility either.

If Armstrong decides to challange Lloyd Doggett in the Democrat primary, I'd support him. Armstrong would represent his district (for good and bad) perfectly
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 07:36:42 PM »

I don't understand why everyone cares so much about a guy who rides a bike for a living.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 07:57:01 PM »

I don't understand why everyone cares so much about a guy who rides a bike for a living.

Why do Republicans care about a guy who used to throw a baseball for a living (Jim Bunning) or a guy who used to catch a football for a living (Lynn Swann)?
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 08:07:33 PM »

http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?city=Orlando&st=FL&last=armstrong&first=lance

Hmm...Armstrong donated $500 to the Kerry campaign.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 08:11:32 PM »

Hmm...Armstrong donated $500 to the Kerry campaign.

Ha, wrong Lance Armstrong!

BTW, that's an interesting site. My multi-millionaire uncle in Massachusetts gave $2,100 to Bush and the RNC last year.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2005, 08:54:43 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2005, 08:57:16 PM by Senator A.J.* King IV »

Armstrong mentioned you in his farewell speech at the Tour de France:

"Finally, the last thing I'll say for the people who don't believe in cycling — the cynics, the skeptics — I'm sorry for you," Armstrong said. "I'm sorry you can't dream big and I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race, this is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe."

But then again (to quote ESPN), all he has done in a Tour season is ride a bike consistantly at 40MPH for 100 miles nearly every day for 3 months in the hot summer heat.  Not like a quaterback in the NFL season who runs with a football for a few hundred yards a week in the winter for about 4-6 months. Tongue
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2005, 09:02:34 PM »

Why do Republicans care about a guy who used to throw a baseball for a living (Jim Bunning) or a guy who used to catch a football for a living (Lynn Swann)?
I don't.  Both are retarded sports.  At least biking takes some skill.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2005, 09:25:50 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2005, 09:32:47 PM by AFCJ KEmperor »

LOL, I love the way you try to make this a partisan issue.  I don't care about the people you mentioned either because of their sporting careers with regard to politics.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 08:27:44 AM »

He won't run for any political office.  He may testify before Congress for medical research and all, but that's about it.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 09:11:59 AM »

Lance Armstrong is a Democrat.

This is already fairly well known. He may run for governor of Texas in the future.

Glad to hear it Smiley. I think a furrough into politics is an option for Lance but I don't think it will be any time soon since he's indicated he wants a few years out of the spotlight to spend more time with his children

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2005, 09:16:05 AM »

I don't think it's so much the fact he rides a bike for a living that's the point. The point is the fact that he overcame life-threatening cancer to become one of the greatest sporting icons of our time

Dave
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2005, 09:18:54 AM »

I don't think it's so much the fact he rides a bike for a living that's the point. The point is the fact that he overcame life-threatening cancer to become one of the greatest sporting icons of our time

Dave

Greatest sporting icons?  Hardly.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2005, 09:27:44 AM »

Dave

Greatest sporting icons?  Hardly.

Yes, that's what I said. Seven consecutive wins in the Tour de France is one hell of a feat, I'd say

Dave
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2005, 09:41:00 AM »

Yes, that's what I said. Seven consecutive wins in the Tour de France is one hell of a feat, I'd say

Dave

I would have to agree.  He has a remarkable story as well as a record performance.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2005, 09:43:27 AM »

I'm thinking they want a source. Smiley
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2005, 10:00:17 AM »

Dave

I would have to agree.  He has a remarkable story as well as a record performance.

He's made people watch and care about cycling.  That is more impressive than seven Tour wins.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies