Jason Chaffetz gets yelled at townhall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:51:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jason Chaffetz gets yelled at townhall
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Jason Chaffetz gets yelled at townhall  (Read 1231 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2017, 12:42:01 AM »

In rural Utah no less http://www.mediaite.com/online/do-your-job-jason-chaffetz-faces-rowdy-audience-at-town-hall/
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 12:43:58 AM »

Not a good sign for 2018 if they keep this up.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 12:51:33 AM »

Ouch.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 12:55:09 AM »

I think he managed to alienate basically every politically aware American with his "I wouldn't let my daughter be in the same room as Donald Trump but I still endorse him" line. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets primaried at this point.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 01:04:11 AM »

Oh this is just the beginning.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 01:09:34 AM »

I think he managed to alienate basically every politically aware American with his "I wouldn't let my daughter be in the same room as Donald Trump but I still endorse him" line. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets primaried at this point.
Trapsy

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 01:17:34 AM »

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 01:28:48 AM »

Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 01:33:16 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2017, 01:35:25 AM by Confused Democrat »

He drew vocal boos from a quip he made in response to constituents telling him to get rid of Betsy DeVos. He responded to them by saying:

“You’re going to like the bill I introduced to abolish the Department of Education."

This is surreal. What an a-hole.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 02:30:15 AM »

I was told by a political reporter that Chaffetz would run for UT-GOV in 2020, so I guess Utahns could stop him from winning that.

As a Congressman, Chaffetz is basically immune to any challenges; he's too powerful in the party to be beaten by primary fights, and his district is ridiculously Republican so no Democrat can even get within 20% of beating him.

But he can be stopped from winning statewide office.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 02:38:21 AM »

I was told by a political reporter that Chaffetz would run for UT-GOV in 2020, so I guess Utahns could stop him from winning that.

As a Congressman, Chaffetz is basically immune to any challenges; he's too powerful in the party to be beaten by primary fights, and his district is ridiculously Republican so no Democrat can even get within 20% of beating him.

Never say never.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 02:41:31 AM »

Tell that to Eric Cantor.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 02:49:37 AM »

Never say never.

Tell that to Eric Cantor.

Unfortunately no. Chaffetz is far less of an obvious establishment guy than Cantor; he actually knocked off a establishment member of one of Utah's most prominent political dynasties, the Cannons. He's also got his bloody shirt to rally around, so to speak, his incessant investigating of Hillary. His spineless un-endorsement and re-endorsement of Trump mean nothing compared to that. Chaffetz is not going anywhere unless he wants a new job.

However, Josh Romney and LG Spencer Cox are also likely to run for Governor, so there's a good chance he can be prevented from winning in that race.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 09:25:53 AM »

Doesn't Evan McMullin live in Provo? He should totally primary Chaffetz.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »

Not a good sign for 2018 if they keep this up.

B-b-b-but filibuster proof majority! Because Senate map!
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 01:56:35 PM »

ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 02:41:30 PM »

You have to love the people of Utah! Don't agree with their religion but I can appreciate that they are much more consistent in their beliefs. Plus they can probably smell the corruption off Chaffez from a mile away, he did a terrible job.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 03:13:40 PM »

Provo isn't in the district, I think. Though even if it isn't, Chaffetz himself didn't even live in the original district anyway when he first ran, so that shouldn't be a problem.

But Chaffetz is not like Cantor; he's not vulnerable to primary battles.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 03:27:05 PM »

He almost looks paralyzed on stage as the angry mob wag their fingers at him lol.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »

Provo isn't in the district, I think. Though even if it isn't, Chaffetz himself didn't even live in the original district anyway when he first ran, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Nobody thought that Cantor was vulnerable though. Even on the day of the primary, the line was that Cantor's margin of victory was going to be underwhelming, but he was a complete lock to win.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 03:34:26 PM »

He's not vulnerable until he's vulnerable. Just like Clinton was unbeatable until she was beatable.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 05:51:47 PM »

Of course he would say that. Republicans can stick to this "all these protests are fake, bankrolled and meaningless" narrative at their own peril. If this turns into a backlash against them down the road, these smear attempts and false labels won't make a bit of a difference.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 05:59:19 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2017, 06:12:39 PM by Confused Democrat »

Chaffetz says out-of-state 'radicals' hijacked town hall meeting

SALT LAKE CITY — Rep. Jason Chaffetz said the raucous reaction he received at Thursday evening's town hall meeting was "bullying and an attempt at intimidation" from a crowd opposed to the election of President Donald Trump.

"You could see it online a couple days before, a concerted effort in part to just cause chaos," the Utah Republican said Friday. "It's a mystery. Democrats are in disbelief that they have nothing but flailing and screaming to deal with this."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865673092/Chaffetz-Raucous-reaction-at-town-hall-meeting-bullying-and-intimidation.html

I think Republicans are taking a stupid posture towards these protests and pursuing an even stupider strategy when it comes to their messaging on this.

Calling these protester fake, paid, and inorganic is just plain stupid. This messaging might play well with their base, but all they're doing is further antagonizing the opposition and laying the groundwork for a wave election in 2018. The Women's March wasn't some Soros funded "fake protest," and all of these people flooding your town halls and congressional offices aren't paid actors. They're your angry constituents.

Are Republicans really starting to believe their own propaganda? If so, they're in for a rude awakening come 2018.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 06:05:45 PM »

Chaffetz says out-of-state 'radicals' hijacked town hall meeting

SALT LAKE CITY — Rep. Jason Chaffetz said the raucous reaction he received at Thursday evening's town hall meeting was "bullying and an attempt at intimidation" from a crowd opposed to the election of President Donald Trump.

"You could see it online a couple days before, a concerted effort in part to just cause chaos," the Utah Republican said Friday. "It's a mystery. Democrats are in disbelief that they have nothing but flailing and screaming to deal with this."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865673092/Chaffetz-Raucous-reaction-at-town-hall-meeting-bullying-and-intimidation.html

I think Republicans are taking a stupid posture towards these protests and pursuing an even stupider strategy when it comes to their messaging on this.

Calling these protester fake, paid, and inorganic is just plain stupid. This messaging might play well with their base, but all their doing is further antagonizing the opposition and laying the groundwork for a wave election in 2018. The Women's March wasn't some Soros funded "fake protest," and all of these people flooding your town halls and congressional offices aren't paid actors. They're your angry constituents.

Are Republicans really starting to believe their own propaganda? If so, their in for a rude awakening come 2018.

I agree. This is quite pathetic.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 07:09:14 PM »

That's exactly what must happen to people who put political power over service and convenient falsehoods over objective truth.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies