Marine Le Pen will not allow French citizens to hold any additional citizenship
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:50:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Marine Le Pen will not allow French citizens to hold any additional citizenship
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Marine Le Pen will not allow French citizens to hold any additional citizenship  (Read 2765 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 11:22:51 AM »

She probably read VGE's "novel", in which he created a common citizenship for British and French, and got upset with the book's poor quality.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 11:26:01 AM »

You can't be surprised. I've been saying this for years.

they are not allies.

they just wish to use jews as useful idiots against muslims.

doesn't make leftist "anti-zionist" idiots one jota less disgusting but those people only like jews who are agreeing with their full agenda.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2017, 11:38:03 AM by DavidB. »

Allyship, as opposed to friendship, is not based on love but on mutual interests. The FPÖ, of course, is another example of a, err, less than ideal ally to Jews (though not as bad as FN). Hard to be sympathetic to Mr. "I only ordered three beers", especially for someone like me whose Viennese-born grandfather was a refugee from Nazi Austria... but that's the world we're living in. It is RRWPs that are typically most sympathetic to Israel's position in the world and it is RRWPs who see the dangers of Islam in Europe and Muslim immigration to Europe and its Jews. I can't make reality any better than this. This world just sucks.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2017, 11:52:02 AM »

Ag is obviously the more ridiculous one here (but that's expected whenever ag starts writing about Jewish identity), but it also has to be said...

Its 21st-century incarnation, however, is even more dangerous because it seeks to end all differences between nations, including those between the Jewish nation and other nations (not knowing this is impossible), and is thereby the direct cause of both antisemitism (for why do so many Jews oppose other nations' independence?) and the weakening of the Jewish people through assimilation.

My choice for the Jewish people's future: being a free people in our homeland. Supporting other people's sovereignty in their homelands too. Opposing global institutions threatening the uniqueness of different cultures. Opposing international political integration. Friendly relations between nations based on mutual interests and mutual respect, not treaties and supranational threats.

I don't think "breaking down borders" has to imply "erasing the differences between nations". The very first Persian Empire, which gave the Jews (and numerous other peoples) autonomy, nationhood, peace, and strength, did it by erasing barriers and allowing people to trade freely, while respecting differences in language and worship and such. Enmity in the Middle East is much higher today than it was then (unfortunately), so such a model doesn't particularly work nowadays, but I don't see why it shouldn't for Europe.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »

Why am I not shocked that the "nationalist right" is ambivalent on Israel? The Sarkozy Right wouldn't have probably been this equivocal. Of course the "nationalist" right is far more xenophobic and suspicious of Jews than the neoliberal Bush-Sarkozy Right.

This is disgusting ethnic nationalism at its worst.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2017, 12:00:27 PM »

Ag is obviously the more ridiculous one here (but that's expected whenever ag starts writing about Jewish identity), but it also has to be said...

Its 21st-century incarnation, however, is even more dangerous because it seeks to end all differences between nations, including those between the Jewish nation and other nations (not knowing this is impossible), and is thereby the direct cause of both antisemitism (for why do so many Jews oppose other nations' independence?) and the weakening of the Jewish people through assimilation.

My choice for the Jewish people's future: being a free people in our homeland. Supporting other people's sovereignty in their homelands too. Opposing global institutions threatening the uniqueness of different cultures. Opposing international political integration. Friendly relations between nations based on mutual interests and mutual respect, not treaties and supranational threats.

I don't think "breaking down borders" has to imply "erasing the differences between nations". The very first Persian Empire, which gave the Jews (and numerous other peoples) autonomy, nationhood, peace, and strength, did it by erasing barriers and allowing people to trade freely, while respecting differences in language and worship and such. Enmity in the Middle East is much higher today than it was then (unfortunately), so such a model doesn't particularly work nowadays, but I don't see why it shouldn't for Europe.

I agree. nationalism is a very negative force harming humanity, and different cultures and traditions are valuable and fascinating, attempting to combat globalism with force will only create backwards, poor nations bitterly holding on to their petty differences.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2017, 12:08:22 PM »

I agree. nationalism is a very negative force harming humanity, and different cultures and traditions are valuable and fascinating, attempting to combat globalism with force will only create backwards, poor nations bitterly holding on to their petty differences.
Do you identify as a Zionist? If yes, why should Jews have the right to be a sovereign people in their own country but other peoples don't?

Will reply to Vosem's point later, am in a hurry.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2017, 12:09:17 PM »

Poor nations bitterly holding on to their petty differences is the result of globalism itself. Not resistance to it. Globalism stated end goal is equalization of living standards across the world. Given the poor living standards in the third world, and the fact that third world people won't stop having children, this can only result in lower living standards for most of the first world.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »

1) the USA is the perfect example for breaking down borders. just mean you also need new, outer borders.

2) just 2009 the FPÖ has campaigned to be against EU membership for turkey....and israel. no one has ever proposed making israel into an EU member and the FPÖ still paid big bucks for ads against it.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 12:19:54 PM »

2) just 2009 the FPÖ has campaigned to be against EU membership for turkey....and israel. no one has ever proposed making israel into an EU member and the FPÖ still paid big bucks for ads against it.
I know. Obvious dogwhistling and pretty distasteful. As I said: they're no friends.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 12:34:51 PM »

Do you identify as a Zionist? If yes, why should Jews have the right to be a sovereign people in their own country but other peoples don't?

Will reply to Vosem's point later, am in a hurry.

I do identify as a Zionist, and I would love it if Israel joined an EU-like organization. Yes, it has many problems that need to be addressed and it needs to be reformed, but on a whole it's a very positive force which allows Europe to remain relevant. I don't think that it prevents people from being independent. France, Britain etc are perfectly independent.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »

How exactly is she going to enforce it?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »

How exactly is she going to enforce it?
Many other countries do it. It's not difficult.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 01:26:49 PM »

"weakening of the Jewish people through assimilation" is a bizarre statement. Very assimilated Jews in America who are basically indistinguishable culturally from non-Jews except they might not celebrate Christmas certainly have an easier time than mostly unassimilated minority groups.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 01:31:56 PM »

"weakening of the Jewish people through assimilation" is a bizarre statement. Very assimilated Jews in America who are basically indistinguishable culturally from non-Jews except they might not celebrate Christmas certainly have an easier time than mostly unassimilated minority groups.

Well, to be fair, while I dislike the whole notion that Jews must marry Jews, the American Jews are assimilating way too much. They're losing their cultural identity, and it's very bad for the Jewish people as a whole.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »

France for the French -> France (and only France) for the French
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2017, 01:36:53 PM »

If anything, I would argue nation states destroy cultures through their homogenising effect. Israel is a prime example, especially in its early years.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »

That's terrifying.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »

She wants to strip me of my citizenship. How charming.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »

i feel closer to australia than to russia but miss le pen must humour her hosts.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »

I swear if that actually happens (please God no please God no please God no please God no please God no) I'm keeping my Italian citizenship. Even though I have never lived in Italy in the past two decades. Even though the economy there is awful.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2017, 02:28:05 PM »

Question: will this actually go over well with anybody who wasn't already a 100% lock to be voting for her?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2017, 03:05:04 PM »

I swear if that actually happens (please God no please God no please God no please God no please God no) I'm keeping my Italian citizenship. Even though I have never lived in Italy in the past two decades. Even though the economy there is awful.

Off-topic, but just OOC, Antonio: Are you planning on moving back to Europe after you graduate, or do you hope to stay in America in your post-grad life?

Well, a big part of the decision is going to rest on where I can find a job. My impression is that there are more openings in America than in France or Italy, especially with an American PhD, so that's a point in its favor. But even aside from that, right now I like the idea of settling down in the US. I might change my mind over the next 5 years, but so far I'm happy here. Smiley (Though if I can choose, I'd rather move to a less sprawly and car-centric area.)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2017, 03:23:16 PM »

Well that's Europe still so you could keep both. Hash is screwed though. Good thing it's still pretty unlikely.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2017, 03:45:14 PM »

You know full well, I am not ridiculous. Just offensive Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies