Would a Trump impeachment be dangerous?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:27:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would a Trump impeachment be dangerous?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Would a Trump impeachment be dangerous?  (Read 2121 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »

This is pure speculation, but if the Trumpster were impeached, what would he do? I think he certainly won’t resign like Nixon, no matter how hopeless it looks on the congressional floor. I’m pretty sure if removed from office, the Trumpster would declare the system is rigged and incite his staunch supporters to demonstrate violently (or they would so it themselves with Trump encouraging it). So it may be that an impeachment would actually bring us close to a civil war. Don’t you think?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »

This is pure speculation, but if the Trumpster were impeached, what would he do? I think he certainly won’t resign like Nixon, no matter how hopeless it looks on the congressional floor. I’m pretty sure if removed from office, the Trumpster would declare the system is rigged and incite his staunch supporters to demonstrate violently (or they would so it themselves with Trump encouraging it). So it may be that an impeachment would actually bring us close to a civil war. Don’t you think?

At some point during the process he would try to start a bloody war: possibly nuclear - as a distraction. If that does not work, all bets are off.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 10:07:43 AM »

Pence would gladly put down Trump and any of the crazies who support him.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 10:12:11 AM »

Yes, pretty much. Question is, when Trump tries to seize total power, who do the republicans side with? Who does the military side with? If they side with democracy, Trump is toast and western civilization is saved. If they side with Trump, western civilization is dead and buried.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 10:13:13 AM »

After the removal vote: sure. But before it happens Trump is still president. There is nothing that would prevent him from, say, nuking Tehran. And, frankly, are you confident he would be above ordering a few Senator murders?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 10:15:38 AM »

After the removal vote: sure. But before it happens Trump is still president. There is nothing that would prevent him from, say, nuking Tehran. And, frankly, are you confident he would be above ordering a few Senator murders?

Not necassarily. The 25th amendment could be invoked quickly and make Pence acting president as long as the final vote is done.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »

Not necassarily. The 25th amendment could be invoked quickly and make Pence acting president as long as the final vote is done.

It could. But it would take time for the majority to be convinced it has to be. It would take a lot less time to order the bombing of whatever he decides he wants to bomb or to order the killing of whomever decides he needs to kill.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 10:57:48 AM »

Yes, pretty much. Question is, when Trump tries to seize total power, who do the republicans side with? Who does the military side with? If they side with democracy, Trump is toast and western civilization is saved. If they side with Trump, western civilization is dead and buried.

Fortunately (to use the word very loosely), so-called President Pussygrabber is well on his way to permanently defining himself as a stupid crazy-person.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 11:01:20 AM »

Fortunately (to use the word very loosely), so-called President Pussygrabber is well on his way to permanently defining himself as a stupid crazy-person.
He did that a long time ago. The question is how long it will take for people to realize it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 12:27:26 PM »

Nixon was probably smart to resign before the articles got voted on by the house.  What happened when Johnson and Clinton were impeached?  Noting too dangerous.  If the house impeaches Trump he'll probably hire lawyers and fight it like they did.  It takes 2/3 of the senate to vote guilty.  That's a pretty high bar. 

Not impossible though.  If Trump goes deranged it won't be for the impeachment, but for being convicted by the senate.  Does a guilty verdict automatically mean he has to step down from office?  Or can other sentences such as fines or public services be used?

Ah, here's what the constitution has to say about it:

"The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on Impeachment for and Conviction of Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors."

Okay, then the conviction means removal if it's for Treason, Bribery, or High Crimes.  I wonder what a High Crime is.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »

Would the impeachment be dangerous in the sense of President Trump starting a nuclear war? Not really.  There are numerous checks and balances to prevent that.  And, let's remember that, as ego-driven as Trump is, he likes his family, his money and his fame.  Spending the rest of his life in jail or at a war crimes tribunal is no fun.  And by the time there are enough votes to impeach him, the public opinion will be solidly behind that.

There is however another potential danger - Mike Pence becoming President.  While nothing suggests that the VP is anything but a loyal conservative Republican, I do not feel that he was ever properly vetted vis-a-vis his ideas, plans, competency and what he would do as POTUS, in the way that say Ted Cruz or John Kasich were.  Or Scott Walker another Midwestern Governor, who looked like a winning pick, until he actually spoke.  But if Trump continues to implode, that may become an academic question.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »

Us red hats will make them regret it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 01:34:17 PM »

Yes because Pence is equal or worse in every possible way. There is literally no angle in which he'd be an improvement
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 01:36:52 PM »

You guys won't like Pence.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 01:47:02 PM »

Can we please stop with this Pence nonsense?  He should be impeached as well.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 02:53:42 PM »

Us red hats will make them regret it.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »

Nah, why would it be?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 03:36:21 PM »

It would be dangerous impeach him, and it would be dangerous not to.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 04:07:47 PM »

FADA would get signed either by executive order or by a bill in a heartbeat after Pence became president.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 04:09:53 PM »

Let's face it, Trump is a narcissistic and has sociopathic tendencies, but he's still more compassionate than the average Republican. I genuinely fear for the poor people of America if we have Pence/Ryan running the country.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 04:45:48 PM »

It's all too terrible to contemplate. Let's hope none of this happens.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 06:25:26 PM »

I think the "Trump=Pence" crowd are losing sight of the point that Trump is clearly an unbalanced man who has no understanding of government and also has a cult-like following with millions of Americans.

While I hate Trump, you have to admit that he cobbled a coalition of 46% of Americans to vote him despite a MOUNTAIN of issues. Pence is not that "talented" if you can put it like that. And I think putting Pence in the WH would probably reduce the empowerment of the Trumpkins
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 06:29:38 PM »

I think the "Trump=Pence" crowd are losing sight of the point that Trump is clearly an unbalanced man who has no understanding of government and also has a cult-like following with millions of Americans.

While I hate Trump, you have to admit that he cobbled a coalition of 46% of Americans to vote him despite a MOUNTAIN of issues. Pence is not that "talented" if you can put it like that. And I think putting Pence in the WH would probably reduce the empowerment of the Trumpkins

It would increase the power of neocons and extreme fiscal conservatives.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 07:12:59 PM »

You don't think Pence is unbalanced?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 07:15:01 PM »

You don't think Pence is unbalanced?

I do not think we have any reasons to think so, at least for the moment. He is, of course, a guy with views that I find highly objectionable, and his morals are illustrated by him going on the ticket with Trump. But there is no reason to believe he is insane.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies