Would a Trump impeachment be dangerous? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:34:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would a Trump impeachment be dangerous? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would a Trump impeachment be dangerous?  (Read 2168 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: February 10, 2017, 12:27:26 PM »

Nixon was probably smart to resign before the articles got voted on by the house.  What happened when Johnson and Clinton were impeached?  Noting too dangerous.  If the house impeaches Trump he'll probably hire lawyers and fight it like they did.  It takes 2/3 of the senate to vote guilty.  That's a pretty high bar. 

Not impossible though.  If Trump goes deranged it won't be for the impeachment, but for being convicted by the senate.  Does a guilty verdict automatically mean he has to step down from office?  Or can other sentences such as fines or public services be used?

Ah, here's what the constitution has to say about it:

"The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on Impeachment for and Conviction of Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors."

Okay, then the conviction means removal if it's for Treason, Bribery, or High Crimes.  I wonder what a High Crime is.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 10:06:35 AM »

Lots of hate for Pence.  I think he's a by-the-book cultural conservative.  He's predictable.  He's more suited by temperament and knowledge than Trump to be president.  He's even jmfcst-approved, which means he has some mainstream appeal.  Thune and Pence were his picks in 2008, as I recall. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies