The Missouri Miracle – and a Celebration of the Muon2 Redistricting Rules
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:21:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  The Missouri Miracle – and a Celebration of the Muon2 Redistricting Rules
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Missouri Miracle – and a Celebration of the Muon2 Redistricting Rules  (Read 2133 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2017, 02:02:59 PM »

On RRH, somebody asserted that the Muon2 rules as they applied to Missouri, the “Show Me” state, would make a harsh of things. So I drew a map for 2021 based on the projected county populations calculated by the census bureau. The map speaks for itself. Rather than a map miss-mash hash, it is precisely the opposite – a thing of beauty, and in fact, it just so happens that the population distribution results in the near miracle, that St. Charles County need not be chopped at all, with the other two St. Louis urban cluster CD’s perfected nested in the balance of the urban cluster zone. The KC urban cluster is almost as good, and only requires a non-macro chop of Jackson County.

I am quite sure this map minimizes chops, and it looks good from an erosity standpoint to boot. Maybe there is a map with a better erosity score, with no more chops, but I strongly tend to doubt it. I worked hard to make this map beautiful. The equality score is bad, but the benefit is the almost perfect CD nesting within the two urban clusters. Muon2 should make Exhibit A to his white paper. ☺

Speaking of the equality metric, is it just in interplay with the erosity score, or does in play with the chop score?  Hopefully just the former.  I think it poor public policy to encourage chops over de minimus population variances.  And do subunit chops just affect the erosity score? Are you allowed more than one subunit chop per county per CD? I probably have been told the answers before, but need to be reminded, because I’m old.

I think Muon2 and I are on the same page as to bridge chops now, but I am studying his definitions. On that one, I know I’m right. Yes, I do. Are bridge chops just banned, or do they just count as a penalty point now, Muon2? Probably the latter is preferable, assuming you cannot be persuaded to go the preference route on anything.

That’s all for now. Well done, Muon2.  I have a reasonable hope that some day you will become a famous man over this. Yes I do.  Your life has a meaning and a purpose, and without that, in my view, one does not have much at all. Count yourself fortunate. ☺

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:59:04 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2017, 03:09:06 PM by muon2 »

I agree, the MO map looks quite nice. Keep those RRH folks in line. Smiley

The key to using inequality is to get away from the really de minimis variations of say a range of 3036 beating a plan with a range of 3241. Instead inequality is measured on a scale that is tuned to the expected number of chops so they can be compared apples to apples. Basically each chop should lower the inequality by 1. Chops and inequality can be used either one or the other, or as we saw in our MI exercise the best results came from using a sum of the two on one axis. Erosity then forms the other axis for the Pareto test.

With my current definition, a bridge fragment that includes the regional connection between the separated counties has no penalty at all. If the bridge fragment has a connection that isn't the primary regional connection then it acts like two counties only connected locally, which gets an erosity penalty for extra components. If the bridge fragment is a macrochop then the calculation of erosity is based on the subunits of the macrochop and not the overall bridge fragment, just as any other macrochop would be measured.

Speaking of connections - it's not clear if your Jackson fragment has one to Clay. At best it looks like the MO-291 bridge is in the district, but I can't tell if it includes the local roads to get over to  the eastern part where the node is. Even if it does, 291 isn't the regional connection between Jackson and Clay, so they would count as only locally connected. That makes the Jackson fragment a separate component and adds one to erosity.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 03:10:08 PM »

"With my current definition, a bridge fragment that includes the regional connection between the separated counties has no penalty at all. If the bridge fragment has a connection that isn't the primary regional connection then it acts like two counties only connected locally, which gets an erosity penalty for extra components. If the bridge fragment is a macrochop then the calculation of erosity is based on the subunits of the macrochop and not the overall bridge fragment, just as any other macrochop would be measured."

Does this have something to do with nick cuts (the no penalty variation)?  If that is the case, then the rule makes sense. Bridge chops will generally not pay, including what you used to call not a bridge chop merely because the county on the other side of the bridge chop was not entirely within the CD. I hated that.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 03:29:07 PM »

Here's the relevant example on the Jackson fragment and its relationship to Clay. The situation is like the Dawes to the West Agnew fragment which I've highlighted in the quote.

The first special rule for connections is for fragments. This follows what was worked out earlier in the thread.

Definition: Fragment. A fragment is the contiguous part of a unit entirely within a district formed by a chop of that unit. Fragments are artifacts of a specific redistricting plan and need not correspond to a recognized political unit. The node of the fragment containing the node of the chopped unit is that same node. For a fragment that does not contain the node of the whole political unit, the node is that of the most populous subunit in the fragment.

Item E2: Fragments trace paths to their nodes as if they were part of the original unit. A connection to the node of a fragment exists if the connecting path to the unit with the fragment enters the unit in that fragment. Fragments within the same unit are locally connected if their nodes are locally connected.

This example is based on the the previous unchopped one. The 5 geographic units are Agnew, Burr, Calhoun, Dawes and Elbridge, labeled A through E. The nodes are indicated with stars and the roads are shown with heavy lines.

The shaded area represents a district that chops unit Agnew.

The East Agnew fragment has a node from the original whole Agnew. The West Agnew fragment has a newly created node shown as a hollow star that will be used as a placeholder for mapping.

The path from Agnew (before the chop) to Calhoun without a chop enters Agnew in the West Agnew fragment, so there is a link from West Agnew to Calhoun.

The path from Agnew to Elbridge enters Agnew in the East Agnew fragment, so there is a link from East Agnew to Elbridge.

The primary path from Agnew to Dawes enters in East Agnew, so there is a link from East Agnew to Dawes. A secondary path from Agnew to Dawes enters in West Agnew, but does not form a link.

The primary path from Agnew to Burr enters in East Agnew, so there is a link from East Agnew to Burr. A secondary path from Agnew to Burr enters in West Agnew, but does not form a link.

There is a path between West Agnew and East Agnew that forms a local connection, so there is a link between those fragments.

The equivalent graph colors the nodes of the two districts in different colors. The dashed lines represent secondary paths between nodes that do not count as links. The red lines indicate links and secondary paths that link nodes in different districts.

nb. As noted in the example the dashed lines represent real local connections, but not links. Links are based on the shortest connecting path. That's important in cases where a path of local connections is required, but no link is available. This situation will be addressed further in the special rule for isolated fragments and in the definition for components.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 03:36:24 PM »

"With my current definition, a bridge fragment that includes the regional connection between the separated counties has no penalty at all. If the bridge fragment has a connection that isn't the primary regional connection then it acts like two counties only connected locally, which gets an erosity penalty for extra components. If the bridge fragment is a macrochop then the calculation of erosity is based on the subunits of the macrochop and not the overall bridge fragment, just as any other macrochop would be measured."

Does this have something to do with nick cuts (the no penalty variation)?  If that is the case, then the rule makes sense. Bridge chops will generally not pay, including what you used to call not a bridge chop merely because the county on the other side of the bridge chop was not entirely within the CD. I hated that.

It depends on the nature of the nick cut - basically is it a pure nick cut or does it involve other connections. I give a lengthy example in the muon rules thread.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 04:29:51 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2017, 04:44:53 PM by Torie »

I put this comment up on RRH in  response to a diss of my MO map, after I was politely accused of being a Dem hack more or less. How times change!  Smiley Some of you might find it of interest. In a word, I think team Eric Holder might be Muon2's best friend in turbo charging his endeavor. I really do.

Here is my post:

Sometimes the rules help one party, sometimes another party. These maps are drawn without any concern for party impact, except as a tie breaker, and there are rarely ties. The CD’s are nested in the KC urban cluster. Cass is party of the urban cluster. You are discussing communities of interest, and that instantly becomes a subjective exercise. In any event, some county in the urban cluster needs to be chopped, or you will have a pack and a cover penalty point for having 3 CD’s in the urban cluster, or a county outside the urban cluster will be chopped, with the other CD making a ring around Jackson, that would look terrible and have a huge number of erosity points. Try it yourself.

As I said, the main thing is to have objective rules, so a computer can draw the map, If you don’t have that, then, well, the discussion will devolve into the type that we are having, which frankly goes absolutely nowhere. What would be more productive, is suggesting other rules, if you don’t like these, that would also end up with just a few winning maps, that a computer would select. I warn again, that if you don’t have objective rules as I describe, or some variation thereof, the courts will come up with another objective rule – the map that comes closest to the partisan balance in the state wins, which would help Democrats in most states (not all, e.g. Mass). That is what Eric Holder is pushing for. Blow me off if you want, but hopefully some of you will listen to me. And it is going to happen one way or the other, and sooner rather than later. You shall see.

It’s odd that you speak of partisan issues when it comes to MO. It is still a safe 6-2 GOP map. And trying to go for 7-1, would probably end up being a dummy-mander.

Anyway, I obviously am not going to persuade you of anything, and visa versa, and that is OK. The goal here is to persuade the courts, and/or legislatures. Thank heavens for powerful computers. That is what makes this all possible. Doing it manually, as I did, for the PA and MO maps is time consuming, and in general will not generate the highest scoring maps, although MO turned out to be so fortuitously simple, that I think it probably is.

One final thing, that I assume that you are probably inferring. is that I think I am the GOP’s best friend on this one, trying to save it from itself as it were. It’s getting greedy, and you know what they say: pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered.

Thanks for you interest, and no, I am not offended at all. I get many of the same types of comments from partisan Democrats. If both sides are aiming the slings and arrows at me, that gives me a good feeling that I am probably on the right track! 🙂
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »

That is a fine map Mr. Torie.

Here is the trick, though. The Missouri map of 2011 required compromise with Democrats to override Jay Nixon's veto in the Missouri House. There were various factions in the party that wanted more of Jefferson County to go into the 2nd district, and some others that wanted more of Jefferson County to go into the 8th district.

Link

Clay/Cleaver allies were required to pass a map. So the contours of the 5th district make more sense in that context.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »

Here is the trick, though. The Missouri map of 2011 required compromise with Democrats to override Jay Nixon's veto in the Missouri House. There were various factions in the party that wanted more of Jefferson County to go into the 2nd district, and some others that wanted more of Jefferson County to go into the 8th district.

Link

Clay/Cleaver allies were required to pass a map. So the contours of the 5th district make more sense in that context.

Thank you. Spread the news!  Smiley
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 08:36:20 PM »

Link

Thank you. Spread the news!  Smiley

No problems.

The old Torie used to be a champion of certain things, like this creation. Times do change.

Link
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 03:33:23 AM »

On RRH, somebody asserted that the Muon2 rules as they applied to Missouri, the “Show Me” state, would make a harsh of things. So I drew a map for 2021 based on the projected county populations calculated by the census bureau. The map speaks for itself. Rather than a map miss-mash hash, it is precisely the opposite – a thing of beauty, and in fact, it just so happens that the population distribution results in the near miracle, that St. Charles County need not be chopped at all, with the other two St. Louis urban cluster CD’s perfected nested in the balance of the urban cluster zone. The KC urban cluster is almost as good, and only requires a non-macro chop of Jackson County.

I am quite sure this map minimizes chops, and it looks good from an erosity standpoint to boot. Maybe there is a map with a better erosity score, with no more chops, but I strongly tend to doubt it. I worked hard to make this map beautiful. The equality score is bad, but the benefit is the almost perfect CD nesting within the two urban clusters. Muon2 should make Exhibit A to his white paper. ☺

Speaking of the equality metric, is it just in interplay with the erosity score, or does in play with the chop score?  Hopefully just the former.  I think it poor public policy to encourage chops over de minimus population variances.  And do subunit chops just affect the erosity score? Are you allowed more than one subunit chop per county per CD? I probably have been told the answers before, but need to be reminded, because I’m old.

I think Muon2 and I are on the same page as to bridge chops now, but I am studying his definitions. On that one, I know I’m right. Yes, I do. Are bridge chops just banned, or do they just count as a penalty point now, Muon2? Probably the latter is preferable, assuming you cannot be persuaded to go the preference route on anything.

That’s all for now. Well done, Muon2.  I have a reasonable hope that some day you will become a famous man over this. Yes I do.  Your life has a meaning and a purpose, and without that, in my view, one does not have much at all. Count yourself fortunate. ☺

Should Kansas City be treated as a county since it has its own election board, or alternatively should it be treated as if it is entirely in Jackson County?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 07:25:53 AM »

Should Kansas City be treated as a county since it has its own election board, or alternatively should it be treated as if it is entirely in Jackson County?

I don't think so. I don't know about MO, but in many states where cities can span multiple counties statute makes it clear that the portion in each county is treated separately. Aurora IL is in four counties and has its own electoral board for three of those counties. Even so, precincts cannot span county lines. It makes the most sense to treat district lines the same way.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 01:47:21 PM »

I don't think so. I don't know about MO, but in many states where cities can span multiple counties statute makes it clear that the portion in each county is treated separately. Aurora IL is in four counties and has its own electoral board for three of those counties. Even so, precincts cannot span county lines. It makes the most sense to treat district lines the same way.
Can precinct boundaries span city lines?

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 01:50:43 PM »

If the city does not constitute an election jurisdiction, like a township, then the precinct lines can cross muni lines. They do in my township.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 02:38:23 AM »

If the city does not constitute an election jurisdiction, like a township, then the precinct lines can cross muni lines. They do in my township.

I think that the district entirely in the UCC should include all of Kansas City.

If an objective set of rules prevents this, my subjective opinion is that there is a problem with objective set of rules.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 05:53:16 AM »

I think that the district entirely in the UCC should include all of Kansas City.

If an objective set of rules prevents this, my subjective opinion is that there is a problem with objective set of rules.

Unlike some other issues that we have been arguing about, where I think the Muon2 rules may have potential problems at the margins (I'm still worried about Phoenix for example, and accidents of populations, that undermine political equality, and not sure we are quite there yet on bridge chops and nick cuts, but I have not yet finished my homework yet on that one), I don't see why this matters when it comes to the quality of the maps. In this instance, if KC City is made whole, there is a chop elsewhere, and probably a cover and pack penalty. I know Muon2 hates preference structures for some reason, but if two maps were otherwise equal, and one kept KC City whole, it should prevail (akin, sort of, to the matter of Indian Reservations). But that is about it.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 07:35:51 AM »

Geographically for chops to make sense there should be a clear hierarchy of units, each of which spans the entire space of the preceding unit. For example in WI we are using

UCCs (as applicable)
Counties
Cities/Villages/Townships
Wards/VTDs

There are cities and villages that cross county lines, but WI says they aggregate their votes by parts in separate counties. For electoral and redistricting purposes a city in two counties acts as two separate cities, each wholly in a county.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 07:45:05 AM »

"each of which spans the entire space of the preceding unit"

Since that cannot mean "nested within," just what does it mean?

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 10:14:02 AM »

"each of which spans the entire space of the preceding unit"

Since that cannot mean "nested within," just what does it mean?

Span here means to completely cover the space with its elements, and I'm using it to also mean without overlap. For example the set of cities, villages, and towns in a WI county covers all the area in that county without any overlaps. Similarly the set of wards in a city WI covers all the area of that city without overlap.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 10:22:36 AM »

OK, well that does not help where there are overlaps, as with KC, or Indian Reservations, so it is not a universal principle.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 10:50:17 AM »

OK, well that does not help where there are overlaps, as with KC, or Indian Reservations, so it is not a universal principle.

Within a MO county there are no overlaps between cities. That's the point of a hierarchy, I don't look at objects outside of a county in dealing with chops. In WA we used municipalities and school districts outside of munis, and together they formed sets that spanned each county. If reservations need a special status the best choice within the system is to create a county cluster that includes the reservation and use the UCC rules with it. It's not unlike the Black Belt cluster we looked at in analyzing maps of AL.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 11:06:49 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2017, 11:11:32 AM by Torie »

Within a MO county there are no overlaps between cities. That's the point of a hierarchy, I don't look at objects outside of a county in dealing with chops. In WA we used municipalities and school districts outside of munis, and together they formed sets that spanned each county. If reservations need a special status the best choice within the system is to create a county cluster that includes the reservation and use the UCC rules with it. It's not unlike the Black Belt cluster we looked at in analyzing maps of AL.

Well we have been around this before, but that does not reward a map that both avoids a county and a reservation chop. In your system, you would ignore the county chop, if there were one. Ditto for a map that manages to both keep KC whole, and Jackson County whole, as opposed to treating a map that chops KC as just as good as one that does not, all other things being equal. It is another example of elegance over, well, what makes sense. Smiley
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 12:51:40 PM »

Geographically for chops to make sense there should be a clear hierarchy of units, each of which spans the entire space of the preceding unit. For example in WI we are using

UCCs (as applicable)
Counties
Wards/VTDs

There are cities and villages that cross county lines, but WI says they aggregate their votes by parts in separate counties. For electoral and redistricting purposes a city in two counties acts as two separate cities, each wholly in a county.
M.R.S. 999.999 Redistricting Counties

Before December 31 in the year ending in 0, the legislative body of each municipality that encompasses territory in more than one county may designate that for redistricting purposes, the municipality is to be treated as lying entirely in the county which contains the largest share of the population at the previous census. If the legislative body does not make such designation, the parts of the municipality that lie in different counties shall be treated as separate municipalities for redistricting purposes.

-------

Not that Wards/VTDs should not be used. But larger cities may/must designate neighborhoods. The use of wards in Ohio was really a mess.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 08:39:47 PM »

Well we have been around this before, but that does not reward a map that both avoids a county and a reservation chop. In your system, you would ignore the county chop, if there were one. Ditto for a map that manages to both keep KC whole, and Jackson County whole, as opposed to treating a map that chops KC as just as good as one that does not, all other things being equal. It is another example of elegance over, well, what makes sense. Smiley

I would treat all chops equal. If there are two small counties that have a reservation across the border and they were a CC, then splitting the reservation along the county line would be a chop. keeping the reservation together, but splitting one of the counties would also be a chop. Neither is favored.

I think a Jackson +KC would be a mess given the shape of KC up north. The more likely split is to put all of the UCC plus the Jackson part of KC in a district, then attach the rest of Jackson to something else. That's not a penalized bridge chop in my current formulation.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 08:43:13 PM »

UCCs (as applicable)
Counties
Wards/VTDs

M.R.S. 999.999 Redistricting Counties

Before December 31 in the year ending in 0, the legislative body of each municipality that encompasses territory in more than one county may designate that for redistricting purposes, the municipality is to be treated as lying entirely in the county which contains the largest share of the population at the previous census. If the legislative body does not make such designation, the parts of the municipality that lie in different counties shall be treated as separate municipalities for redistricting purposes.

-------

Not that Wards/VTDs should not be used. But larger cities may/must designate neighborhoods. The use of wards in Ohio was really a mess.

For the purposes of our WI exercise on the other thread, do we know which munis passed such a resolution? Do we know to what extent the WI leg followed those resolutions? My fear is that since what you quote is a statute, if the remap is also by statute then the leg can overrule the munis.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 06:17:19 AM »

I would treat all chops equal. If there are two small counties that have a reservation across the border and they were a CC, then splitting the reservation along the county line would be a chop. keeping the reservation together, but splitting one of the counties would also be a chop. Neither is favored.

OK. Reservations have a higher standing than cities, but OK.

I think a Jackson +KC would be a mess given the shape of KC up north. The more likely split is to put all of the UCC plus the Jackson part of KC in a district, then attach the rest of Jackson to something else. That's not a penalized bridge chop in my current formulation.

I appreciate in this instance, keeping KC together is a no go, but the principle stands. One gets no credit (the preference thing that you reject) for keeping KC together, even if the cost of doing so, swamps the credit. That does not make sense to me. And yes, I agree that counties should have a higher standing than cities, if one must choose.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies