Rasmussen national poll: Sanders Still Democrats’ Choice for 2020, But It’s Close
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:31:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Rasmussen national poll: Sanders Still Democrats’ Choice for 2020, But It’s Close
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rasmussen national poll: Sanders Still Democrats’ Choice for 2020, But It’s Close  (Read 978 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2017, 07:26:44 PM »
« edited: February 10, 2017, 11:54:56 PM by Mr. Morden »

Rasmussen has a new survey but I can't access the results:
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/february_2017/sanders_still_democrats_choice_for_2020_but_it_s_close

Friday, February 10, 2017

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Does anyone have access to the results?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 07:30:08 PM »

I saw the results on Twitter:

Sanders 20%
Clinton 17%
Biden 15%
Warren 14%
Booker 8%
Franken 6%

I'm also not buying the premise that he's been the Democrats' choice prior to this poll.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 07:39:40 PM »

Sanders 20%
Clinton 17%
Biden 15%
Warren 14%
Booker 8%
Franken 6%

I'm also not buying the premise that he's been the Democrats' choice prior to this poll.

If you consolidate the results:

Sanders wing totals 40%
Corporatist DLC wing totals 40%

Democrats are still divided

That's intellectually dishonest.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 07:42:34 PM »

One thing we have to remember about early polling is it's not necessarily 100 percent telling what the results will be in the end. Right now the 2020 election is over 3 years away. At this time back in 2013 many believed that on the Republican side it was either going to be Chris Christie or Rand Paul and neither of those two even made it to the final four. On the Democratic side Clinton was expected to basically run the table. A lot thought she would be unopposed in the Democratic primaries. Really what I'm getting at is many voters especially primary voters are very malleable and can be switching back and fourth between different candidates every day. and They have quite some time to decide. If I had to make a prediction I don't think Sanders will run and if he does I don't even think he'll come close to the nomination
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 07:51:20 PM »

One thing we have to remember about early polling is it's not necessarily 100 percent telling what the results will be in the end. Right now the 2020 election is over 3 years away. At this time back in 2013 many believed that on the Republican side it was either going to be Chris Christie or Rand Paul and neither of those two even made it to the final four. On the Democratic side Clinton was expected to basically run the table. A lot thought she would be unopposed in the Democratic primaries. Really what I'm getting at is many voters especially primary voters are very malleable and can be switching back and fourth between different candidates every day. and They have quite some time to decide. If I had to make a prediction I don't think Sanders will run and if he does I don't even think he'll come close to the nomination

Yeah, a lot can change. LOL at this 2014 poll with Sanders at 1%.

Dems:
Clinton: 64%
Biden 13%
Warren 11%
Webb 2%
O'Malley 1%
Sanders 1%
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 08:08:14 PM »

Sanders 20%
Clinton 17%
Biden 15%
Warren 14%
Booker 8%
Franken 6%

Sanders wing totals 40%

You're including Franken in the Sanders wing even though he was one of the earliest and most vocal Clinton supporters in the Senate?
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 08:28:22 PM »

Do people really want a 79 year old to run for president? Even running in 2016 while he was 74 was pushing it.
R/H
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 08:39:12 PM »

Do people really want a 79 year old to run for president? Even running in 2016 while he was 74 was pushing it.

A 79 year old man is surely better than a 74 year old clown like Donald Trump.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 08:42:05 PM »

A 79 year old man is surely better than a 74 year old clown like Donald Trump.

True. Its interesting that there was little attention towards Trump's age in 2016 even though he would be the oldest person to be elected to a first term of the presidency.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 11:56:40 PM »

Right now the 2020 election is over 3 years away.

Scarily enough, the Iowa caucuses are less than 3 years away now.  New Hampshire will probably be 3 years from tomorrow.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 09:47:33 AM »

Sanders 20%
Clinton 17%
Biden 15%
Warren 14%
Booker 8%
Franken 6%

Sanders wing totals 40%

You're including Franken in the Sanders wing even though he was one of the earliest and most vocal Clinton supporters in the Senate?

How many moderates would vote for Franken over Clinton, Biden & Booker? Very few.

People who are concerned about Bernie's age or Warren will go for Franken. Franken is popular among the progressive base, especially due to his performance in hearing.

And it is difficult to say how much of the progressive vote is with Biden or Clinton, etc or moderates with Sanders.

What we can say is that the Strong Progressives vs Moderates vote is somewhere around 50:50.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »

At this point, it’s really an open question which names pollsters are going to include in hypothetical 2020 Democratic primary matchups over the next couple of years.  Biden, Sanders, and Clinton all have high name recognition, and so they’re inevitably going to dominate in polls where they’re included.  Though, yeah, none of them are among the most likely candidates to run, IMHO (because Biden and Sanders are both pretty old, and Clinton was just the nominee and lose the GE).

If you include both Biden and Clinton in the poll, then I’m guessing there’s enough overlap in support between them that, yeah, including them both puts Sanders in the lead.  But if you take out Clinton, like the PPP poll did, then Biden tends to show up in the lead.  Take out all three of Biden/Clinton/Sanders, and Warren will lead.  Warren of course trails Biden/Clinton/Sanders in name recognition, but she’s still ahead of the rest of the field.  How many “normal” people know who Julian Castro, Kirsten Gillibrand, and Amy Klobuchar are?  Very few, so whether you even include them in the poll or not probably doesn’t make much difference.

So I don’t think these early primary polls are all that useful, except that I’d like to see them testing favorability scores and name recognition.  That would be more useful to see than the horserace question.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 12:35:10 PM »

If Clinton runs again, she'll win the primary. Mark my words.

Then she'll be 3-0. Not very impressive.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 05:49:23 PM »

If Clinton runs again, she'll win the primary. Mark my words.

Then she'll be 3-0. Not very impressive.

Nothing would shock me.

Sanders may well become the nominee for 2020.  He would have to actually become a Democrat for that to happen, IMO, but he's now, believe it or not, the only visible leader of Democrats and their "big star". 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies