Surprise, surprise (CO): Latinos much more Dem than exit polls showed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:43:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Surprise, surprise (CO): Latinos much more Dem than exit polls showed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Surprise, surprise (CO): Latinos much more Dem than exit polls showed  (Read 2300 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2017, 10:06:57 PM »

Clinton beat Trump by 70 points in Colorado, according to Harvard statistician: exit polls showed anemic 37-point win for Clinton among CO Latinos

I have no reason to believe that similar discrepancies don't exist in many other states as well. I know some analysis has been done in other places: feel free to link to any other state analyses.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 10:14:58 PM »

A colleague of mine came up with very similar findings on New York.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:20:15 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2017, 11:22:54 PM by Eharding »

Heaviest Hispanic precincts≠Hispanics as a whole. Hispanics vote differently when they're around different people.

Look at the 2012 #s for comparison.

Also, the most Hispanic precinct in that scatterplot is closer to 20% DJT than 14%.
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 11:24:58 PM »

I'm sure if you looked at precinct data nationally you would find that Clinton cleaned up among college educated voters as well.

-Nonswing is making a brilliant point, but he almost certainly doesn't realize it.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 12:30:24 AM »
« Edited: February 11, 2017, 12:33:47 AM by realisticidealist »

Why does everyone always use this technique? It doesn't prove anything other than how Hispanics in downtown Denver voted. Even then, the modeling assumes a high degree of linearity at the upper levels that I'm not sure is really born out by the data they're presenting.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 01:13:45 AM »

Heaviest Hispanic precincts≠Hispanics as a whole. Hispanics vote differently when they're around different people.

Also, the most Hispanic precinct in that scatterplot is closer to 20% DJT than 14%.

It didn't look at just majority-Latino precincts...? It's not a case of "the most heavily Latino precincts were 80%+ Clinton therefore the Latino vote in CO was 80%+ Clinton", unless I'm missing something here.

Why does everyone always use this technique? It doesn't prove anything other than how Hispanics in downtown Denver voted. Even then, the modeling assumes a high degree of linearity at the upper levels that I'm not sure is really born out by the data they're presenting.

Elaborate, please.
Eharding

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 02:08:33 AM »

It didn't look at just majority-Latino precincts...? It's not a case of "the most heavily Latino precincts were 80%+ Clinton therefore the Latino vote in CO was 80%+ Clinton", unless I'm missing something here.

Elaborate, please.

-Griffin, you're a numbers guy, so I expect you to be better than this.
mgop
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »

colorado will be red in 2020, when all illegals from state gets deported and liberal shenanigans from 2016 will not be possible.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »

It's possible this is the case, but that would of course mean Trump did better than expected with Colorado white voters. That is very bad for the Democrat party!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 01:23:50 PM »

I think it raises some important questions that perhaps the next round of exit polling should consider. The Upshot already made a compelling case that EPs are under-sampling white working class voters, so to me it hardly seems like a far-out suggestion that they over-sampled more R-friendly Hispanic voters, especially considering that polling Hispanic voters already has some known issues. I don't believe this is an isolated study either. There have been others.
Eharding

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 01:37:02 PM »

colorado will be red in 2020, when all illegals from state gets deported and liberal shenanigans from 2016 will not be possible.

-Wrong. Trump would have still lost CO with 2004 demographics.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 03:25:21 PM »

Even if the survey wasn't just majority Hispanic precincts, it seems to have focused on those precincts. Plus, even if it has some validity, questioning the exit poll is not an endeavor that is the least bit worthwhile, so let's just not do it.
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: 0.43

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 03:26:21 PM »

This is the same guy who claims that all the exit polls were wrong and the Latino Decisions prediction was actually correct.  Bryan Wilcox-Archuleta. 

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=253876.50

Eharding

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 12:58:17 AM »

It's possible this is the case, but that would of course mean Trump did better than expected with Colorado white voters. That is very bad for the Democrat party!

Yes, it would be terrible if Democrats did better among a growing voter group than initially thought at the expense of a shrinking voter group.  Your posts are becoming more and more epic.

-White voters are not magically a shrinking group in Colorado.
hopper
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 02:11:41 AM »

Yes, it would be terrible if Democrats did better among a growing voter group than initially thought at the expense of a shrinking voter group.  Your posts are becoming more and more epic.
True College Educated Whites are nearly as responsible for Dems success in the state as Hispanics are.
Eharding

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 11:17:52 PM »

I'm not sure ecological inference is necessarily the best method to calculate the Hispanic vote share (since as mentioned, not all Hispanics live in heavily Hispanic areas, and their voting patterns are quite variable).

The Hill posted an article about the Latino Vote in Florida being calculated by ecological inference, and the results were absolutely absurd.

I have a very hard time believing these numbers, Romney and Trump would have had to get absolutely crushed among White voters in Miami-Dade to make the math of these findings work. When you look at the remainder of Florida outside of Miami-Dade, the study got extreme results in the other direction:

Trump would have had to basically run the table among Osceloa Whites to make this figure achievable, just to pick one example, when the results at the precinct level don't seem to indicate that's what happened at all.

Overall, I tend to trust the NYT Upshot estimates of Clinton winning the national Hispanic vote 68-26, with Clinton generally beating her stated support among Latinos in each state by a few points, but no more than that.

Umm - you do realize that "White voters in Miami-Dade" are largely Jewish, Gay, Northeastern Transplants, and/or European Transplants, right?  Also the numbers aren't surprising because the Cuban vote is the GOP base in Miami (or at least was) and Democrats do well with whites there as they would in any other big city... also there's a large black population that props up Democratic numbers as well.

-What about Osceola?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 11:38:08 PM »

So why hasn't anyone actually run any real precinct numbers on this one?

From what I have observed in more heavily Latino Precincts in the Pacific Northwest, and to some extent in Cali, it appears that there was a significant defection to 3rd Party Candidates rather than increase in support for Clinton vs Obama....

It appears to be pretty clear that in heavily Latino areas in the cities of Texas, that there was a major Democratic bump (Harris County jumps out)....

If we look at Florida, it's pretty clear that Cuban-Americans swung towards Clinton, and "angry" Puerto Ricans voted overwhelmingly Democratic.

What appears to be more of an item of debate are rural and small-town Latinos....

Regardless, it's not good news for the Democratic Party either way, since obviously an increasing Latino Democratic vote in certain counties, precincts, and states, means that even if the exit polls are off, the Anglos swung much more heavily Republican in these areas....

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 03:17:28 PM »

They are also not a particularly shrinking group in most of the vulnerable Senate seats in 2018 that the Democrats will lose bigly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies