HB 2016-1075 - Electoral Tie Resolution Amendment (FINAL VOTE)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:39:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 2016-1075 - Electoral Tie Resolution Amendment (FINAL VOTE)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 2016-1075 - Electoral Tie Resolution Amendment (FINAL VOTE)  (Read 2115 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2017, 01:18:10 AM »
« edited: March 01, 2017, 07:48:13 PM by Speaker NeverAgain »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Sponsor - Senator Ascott (Ind) & Senator Cris (UA)

24 hours for debate (under the Executive Order let's slide this through).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 09:59:42 AM »
« Edited: February 11, 2017, 10:01:15 AM by President North Carolina Yankee »

I do not believe that they have to be a member of Atlasia, as some of the best people come from other countries, and they may be the best for country. Therefore I will be voting against the constitutional amendment.

Foreigners can register within Atlasia and be President like my predecessor and opponent in the last election, Blair2015 is from the UK. The amendment is merely stating that the person must be registered in the game to be President, which applies to voting, holding office etc generally. That is actually currently part of the constitution, the only changes are what is in bold.  

The purpose of this amendment is to provide a clearer way to resolve ties since the last Presidential election resulted in myself and Blair2015 being tied 56-56 in the regular election and then again 62-62 in the runoff. The end result was we had to split the term in half.

There were numerous issues with the previous language not making clear sense and there was uncertainty as to how the tie should be handled, which Blair and I cut a deal to resolve. However, had we a situation where a deal couldn't be reached that could prove problematic. This sets up a process to prevent that unlikely, but potentially worrisome scenario.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »

If a poster is able to become president within 500 posts and 4,320 hours. I think that poster deserves the presidency.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 06:03:54 PM »

If a poster is able to become president within 500 posts and 4,320 hours. I think that poster deserves the presidency.
I agree with this. We shouldn't be putting more limitations on the ability of the body populace to elect who they want.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 03:47:45 AM »

What is the current standard? I thought that portion was the same.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 03:17:49 PM »

The post limit is really our equivalent of the 35 years age cut off for President- we have it to keep the game stable (and players with less posts are historically the most likely to go AWOl)

White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 05:32:51 PM »

The post limit is really our equivalent of the 35 years age cut off for President- we have it to keep the game stable (and players with less posts are historically the most likely to go AWOl)

Why not make it the current post limit for citizenry?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 05:56:01 PM »

18 posts, correct?
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 07:19:43 PM »

18 posts, correct?
Sure, I just think that if someone with 50 posts was deemed worthy to be President by the voting body, then gosh darn it they are worthy to be President.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 09:30:59 PM »

18 posts, correct?
Sure, I just think that if someone with 50 posts was deemed worthy to be President by the voting body, then gosh darn it they are worthy to be President.

Agreed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 01:29:37 AM »

I am afraid I must agree with Representative Blair here.

The limit for citizenry is low to get people in and established. A House member disappears or a regional legislator, they can be replaced without too much problem (though it has been problematic at times as Emperor/Governor PiT and many other current and former executives can tell you.

But a President disappearing would cripple the game.

I would also note that it is a threshold that a lot of socks rarely meet before getting caught or exposing themselves. The three biggest exceptions being President Napoleon (Hamilton), Senator NVTownsend (SvenssonRS) and President Tyrion (Ogis).

But the number of socks that have made it that high are few. Lowering the threshold would make it far more easier and less likely that they be caught first and as with Tyrion and Napoleon for that matter, their Presidency were rather terrible or had terrible consequences.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 02:30:30 AM »

Can I make a recommendation!

That the amendment be passed as is and sent to the regions so that we have an electoral tie process in place that works. And then deal with the post requirement for President later through another amendment?

We should not have to go through another October and it is bad enough that February will go by before this can get ratified.

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 03:05:48 PM »

I propose this amendment:

[/quote]
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 04:29:45 AM »

Can I make a recommendation!

That the underlying amendment be passed as is and sent to the regions so that we have an electoral tie process in place that works. And then deal with the post requirement for President later through another amendment?

We should not have to go through another October and it is bad enough that February will go by before this can get ratified.

I respect the concern over this standard, but the primary issue in this amendment is fixing the tied elections process, that needs to get on the books immediately. The issue over posting requirements for President can be handled seperately, and not require this be sent back to the Senate, for them to tank it possibly over this.

Please do not poison pill the underlying amendment, for the love of god handle the posting issue separately.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 04:33:05 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2017, 04:36:06 AM by Senator Leinad »

Let's deal with this separately, guys. I encourage the House to vote down the amendment from Mr. Enduro--as much as I generally agree with him and even agree that the limit is much too high.

Vote down this amendment to the amendment, and then propose another amendment lowering the limits. Sounds like a plan, guys?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 12:02:11 PM »

A tie is unlikely, and the candidates not voluntarily doing what this bill forces them to do is even less likely. We got more time to do this than President Yankee and Senator Leinad make it seem.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 05:09:39 AM »

Well that is gratitude for ya Tongue
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 12:36:49 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2017, 12:52:30 AM by Speaker NeverAgain »

Okay, I can put this up to a vote, but I would rather ask the Representative to retract his amendment, as it will likely fail, if not here than most definitely the Senate. Also the factor that this would require Senators and Representatives to have to have spent 1440 hours, and 720 hours in Atlasia respectively, but have no requirement for the highest land in the nation.

Plus, this has no relevance to the task, solving electoral ties, at hand. Please retract the amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 06:08:26 AM »

Enduro, I promise you I will make sure an amendment on the President's activity requirement makes it to the floor.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 11:23:35 AM »

Enduro, I promise you I will make sure an amendment on the President's activity requirement makes it to the floor.

Ok, I will hold you to that. Amendment withdrawn.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 08:27:57 AM »

So folks what's happening to this?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 07:48:01 PM »

[/quote]

Since no other amendments have been proposed, and debate has stalled, there will be a final 48 hour vote on this legislation.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 10:06:38 PM »

AYE
Enduro
Junior Chimp