why has Kansas traditionally had a visible moderate wing in there GOP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:57:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  why has Kansas traditionally had a visible moderate wing in there GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: why has Kansas traditionally had a visible moderate wing in there GOP?  (Read 978 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »

I mean compared to the states that border it - it kind of stands out. Also, are the moderates in the local republican party a mostly rural phenomenon or is it a mostly urban/suburban one (i.e. inside the 435)?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 02:04:57 PM »

Kansas is a three party state: conservative Republicans, moderate Republicans... and some Democrats.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 02:08:35 PM »

Not trying to be a douche, but *their.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 02:48:50 PM »

I think the rural-urban divide has to be apart of it. I'm sure the rural parts of Kansas are more religious then the Urban (and thus more socially conservative).

Also, areas like Wichita are likely much more socially conservative then areas like Overland Park, Kansas City (Kansas side, obviously), Topeka and Lawrence.

So I can see a rural-urban, western-eastern Kansas divide playing into the odd politics there.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:44:34 AM »

^ Generally my thoughts too. There are some moderates from rural areas too (like state Senator John Doll, a former Democratic candidate in KS-01), but most come from suburbs and eastern part of the state.....
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 11:32:58 AM »

I think the rural-urban divide has to be apart of it. I'm sure the rural parts of Kansas are more religious then the Urban (and thus more socially conservative).

Also, areas like Wichita are likely much more socially conservative then areas like Overland Park, Kansas City (Kansas side, obviously), Topeka and Lawrence.

So I can see a rural-urban, western-eastern Kansas divide playing into the odd politics there.

I mean it really depends. Johnson County has some deeply conservative bastions. Hell, even as extremists lost big last cycle, Mary Pilcher-Cook, the legislature's most visible crazy conservative, held on. Even in some of the state's deeply conservative areas, some moderates prevailed in the primary. Mary Martha Good's win over Will Carpenter in El Dorado (Obama's mom's hometown!) is an example.

I think to some extent this has always existed because many Republicans early on in KS were of Yankee stock, and the type of Republican that lives in some areas still reflects this early origin. The geographic lines are more blurred now but this was the dynamic.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 11:55:26 AM »

I think it's kind of like how when Democrats dominated in Dixie there were always liberal, conservative and moderate factions and even today in places like New York you see both left and right leaning Dems. Since Republicans have almost always dominated in Kansas there's going to be multiple factions within the party.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 03:59:30 PM »

Define "moderate." Most of the country-club Republicans in the wealthy parts of Johnson County are very much in the Reaganite mold even if there aren't many Rapture-anticipating white fundamentalist Protestants or politically-motivated-by-abortion Catholics among them. Furthermore, the country-clubbers are usually the most loyal Republicans in the sense that they're always more likely to vote in Republican primaries, donate to Republican candidates and Republican-supported causes, volunteer for Republican candidates, and vote Republican at all levels of government (read: down-ballot) than the people who are more motivated to turn out en masse for Republicans when the likes of Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Steve King, Louie Gohmert, Mike Pence, and yes, Donald Trump are on the ballot.
Kevinstat

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 08:33:07 PM »

Define "moderate." Most of the country-club Republicans in the wealthy parts of Johnson County are very much in the Reaganite mold even if there aren't many Rapture-anticipating white fundamentalist Protestants or politically-motivated-by-abortion Catholics among them. Furthermore, the country-clubbers are usually the most loyal Republicans in the sense that they're always more likely to vote in Republican primaries, donate to Republican candidates and Republican-supported causes, volunteer for Republican candidates, and vote Republican at all levels of government (read: down-ballot) than the people who are more motivated to turn out en masse for Republicans when the likes of Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Steve King, Louie Gohmert, Mike Pence, and yes, Donald Trump are on the ballot.

Yeah, I think Pat Roberts may belong to the "moderate" faction.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 09:32:04 PM »

Kansas is a three party state: conservative Republicans, moderate Republicans... and some Democrats.

Similar reason as to why the Hawaii and Rhode Island Democratic Parties are so relatively conservative.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 09:59:56 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I always assumed that Kansas, like most of the neighboring states, were settled by the scots-irish.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 10:23:52 PM »

The "moderates" would have been right-wing Republicans 30 years ago, like Bob Dole.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 10:44:11 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I always assumed that Kansas, like most of the neighboring states, were settled by the scots-irish.

-Kansas was settled by the same type of people that settled Indiana and Missouri.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 11:21:21 PM »

The "moderates" would have been right-wing Republicans 30 years ago, like Bob Dole.

Not all of them. Look, for example, on Barbara Bollier in Kansas state Senate. She is to the left of at least half Democratic legislators. There are other of this sort too. But generally - yes. As i frequently say - it's difficult to me to imagine people like Jacob Javits to be simply in Republican party now (and i can easily give dozen of other names too). Not long ago they and people like them were Senators and Governors.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 11:21:51 PM »

i always assumed that a stereotypical Kansas moderate would not be bob dole but someone like NL Kassebaum.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 11:24:47 PM »

i always assumed that a stereotypical Kansas moderate would not be bob dole but someone like NL Kassebaum.

Yes. But compared to Brownback and Kobach Dole surely looks as moderate too)))
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies