Farewell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:28:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Farewell
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Farewell  (Read 16499 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »

Now that he left the forum, i can only wish him luck.

He hasn't left the forum.  He made this thread last year, and left for a while, but then came back.  He made three posts just yesterday.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2018, 01:55:55 PM »

Now that he left the forum, i can only wish him luck.

He hasn't left the forum.  He made this thread last year, and left for a while, but then came back.  He made three posts just yesterday.

At least ag had enough integrity to resign as a mod when he decided to leave, instead of just leaving.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2018, 02:23:01 PM »

I suppose I ought to be grateful for small favors.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2018, 12:07:49 AM »

You are right: I am an idiot. Apologies for coming back: it was a stupid mistake on my part, will try not to repeat it again. If I stumble again (as I, probably, will), I guess, there are enough despeakable deplorables here to quickly remind me why I should not.

Tam-tam.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2018, 09:11:18 AM »

You are right: I am an idiot. Apologies for coming back: it was a stupid mistake on my part, will try not to repeat it again. If I stumble again (as I, probably, will), I guess, there are enough despeakable deplorables here to quickly remind me why I should not.

Tam-tam.
see ya next year!  <goofy wave like Jethro at the end of The Beverly Hill Billies>
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2018, 04:17:03 AM »

Sure, I hate you. Please feel free to reference that fact.

Ok. Let me make a serious statement, for once.

1. I, actually, understand where the Trump support is coming from. Yes, there are many people in the US who feel that "the elites" are usurping the power, do not care about them, do not share their values, etc. I, of course, do not share those sentiments, but I do see how this can be a strong feeling.

2. This feeling is not limited to the US, of course. In fact, in much of the world the same feeling of impotent rage against the elites that many Americans feel domestically is directed against all Americans as a group. Aren't Americans the worldwide "elite"? Many Russians, for instance, would, as a matter of course, answer in the affirmative. The world, in their worldview, is governed by the "Washington obkom".

3. Of course, there are no real elites governing the world. Society is a complex organism, and no group of people can control or direct it. Nor is there a cohesive group with alligned interests that could try to do so. The world, really, is a lot more chaotic than many people suppose.

4. Miraculously, this chaos over the last 70 years has been, at least in the "first world", resolved without major conflagrations that had been the norm for most of our history, and remain the norm in many places till now. This has been achieved, in great part, because after the catastrophe of the two world wars societies converged to some modicum of political and social moderation. They say that Mexicans are so polite (and Mexican conventions are those of exaggerated politeness) because 100 years ago an impolite word could have resulted in shooting. In a sense, the same has been true of our societies in general. We could continue to think whatever we thought of those not like us (be that socially, ethnically, religiously, racially or whatever) but we tended to hold our mouths under some control. Having survived the World Wars nobody was willing to risk provoking them anew.

5. Well, this is, increasingly, no longer the case. The generation which survived the wars is gone. Their children do not understand where the politeness conventions are coming from: they think these are elite plots to subdue the straight-talking simple folk.

6. Trump has done away with courtesies of the recent decades and his supporters love it. Well, I view my role here as educational. I am performing, of course and I am being nasty and offensive. I do this for a reason. You have insisted on taking away the veneer of civilization that has maintained peace. Well, live with it. Smell the urine. Alas, unless we collectively recoil, soon we all will be smelling blood.

Yes, I am scared. And I am screaming.

You make is sound as if Donald Trump is the key to all problems facing the world

No, not Trump. Trump's supporters. The are the "deplorables". Trump is a run-of-the-mill scoundrel. His supporters are much worse.

Hillary is scum honest for showing such contempt and loathing for millions of hard working, tax paying Americans with this deplorable prepared text. scum

Corrected.

I hope he stays gone.  I don't understand why there wasn't a permaban issued.

Lol, what in that is banworthy? I Think you should stop being such a sensitive snowflake and act like a grown man.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2018, 07:36:30 PM »

Tam-tam.
see ya next year!  <goofy wave like Jethro at the end of The Beverly Hill Billies>

This is better as far as goofy waves go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DfQcHMYLY
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2018, 01:58:34 AM »

Ok. Let me make a serious statement, for once.

1. I, actually, understand where the Trump support is coming from. Yes, there are many people in the US who feel that "the elites" are usurping the power, do not care about them, do not share their values, etc. I, of course, do not share those sentiments, but I do see how this can be a strong feeling.

2. This feeling is not limited to the US, of course. In fact, in much of the world the same feeling of impotent rage against the elites that many Americans feel domestically is directed against all Americans as a group. Aren't Americans the worldwide "elite"? Many Russians, for instance, would, as a matter of course, answer in the affirmative. The world, in their worldview, is governed by the "Washington obkom".

3. Of course, there are no real elites governing the world. Society is a complex organism, and no group of people can control or direct it. Nor is there a cohesive group with alligned interests that could try to do so. The world, really, is a lot more chaotic than many people suppose.

4. Miraculously, this chaos over the last 70 years has been, at least in the "first world", resolved without major conflagrations that had been the norm for most of our history, and remain the norm in many places till now. This has been achieved, in great part, because after the catastrophe of the two world wars societies converged to some modicum of political and social moderation. They say that Mexicans are so polite (and Mexican conventions are those of exaggerated politeness) because 100 years ago an impolite word could have resulted in shooting. In a sense, the same has been true of our societies in general. We could continue to think whatever we thought of those not like us (be that socially, ethnically, religiously, racially or whatever) but we tended to hold our mouths under some control. Having survived the World Wars nobody was willing to risk provoking them anew.

5. Well, this is, increasingly, no longer the case. The generation which survived the wars is gone. Their children do not understand where the politeness conventions are coming from: they think these are elite plots to subdue the straight-talking simple folk.

6. Trump has done away with courtesies of the recent decades and his supporters love it. Well, I view my role here as educational. I am performing, of course and I am being nasty and offensive. I do this for a reason. You have insisted on taking away the veneer of civilization that has maintained peace. Well, live with it. Smell the urine. Alas, unless we collectively recoil, soon we all will be smelling blood.

Yes, I am scared. And I am screaming.

You make is sound as if Donald Trump is the key to all problems facing the world

No, not Trump. Trump's supporters. The are the "deplorables". Trump is a run-of-the-mill scoundrel. His supporters are much worse.

Hillary is scum honest for showing such contempt and loathing for millions of hard working, tax paying Americans with this deplorable prepared text. scum

Corrected.

Lol, what in that is banworthy? I Think you should stop being such a sensitive snowflake and act like a grown man.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2018, 08:42:50 PM »

I think, this gives me a good reason to come back. Perhaps, the only good thing I have ever done on this forum is making certain sanctimonious pricks uncomfortable.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2018, 08:52:36 PM »

I think, this gives me a good reason to come back. Perhaps, the only good thing I have ever done on this forum is making certain sanctimonious pricks uncomfortable.

I must rent an awful lot of space in your head.

I note that you led off your comeback with a post that, arguably, violates the ToS. 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2018, 08:57:35 PM »

I note that you led off your comeback with a post that, arguably, violates the ToS. 

I am simply trying to have some innocent fun, while making the humanity slightly better.

Is that prohibited by the ToS?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2018, 09:12:26 PM »

It's pretty hard to get perma banned. I assume Fuzzy meant by his perma ban comment the incident that got ag de-modded, in which case, why is there no understanding of it? There are few things a user can say in one post that will get them perma banned. Perma bans are usually the end of the road of a series of major rule infractions (or copious amounts of small infractions). This is just how Atlas is, and likely will stay that way. Quite frankly, I prefer the way bans are issued anyway (minus a few things). I don't think most people should get tossed for good so quickly. There is no reason incremental steps can't be done to try and nudge the user into behaving appropriately. It certainly doesn't bother me to have to revisit a matter occasionally.

And this isn't just the opinion of the mod team. Dave had to do the de-modding, so he was aware of the situation. If he thought it warranted a perma ban, he likely would have weighed in on that on the spot.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2018, 09:15:51 PM »

I voluntarily resigned from moderating, if I recall it right Smiley.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2018, 09:43:54 PM »

Yeah that's a fair point, although after reading the mod discussions and then considering the 2016 Tender precedent, I'm fairly sure that situation would have ended the same regardless.

I still stand by everything else though. FOLKS need to ease up on the ban stuff. We don't dole out perma bans like that and never will.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2018, 09:45:24 PM »

Yeah that's a fair point, although after reading the mod discussions and then considering the 2016 Tender precedent, I'm fairly sure that situation would have ended the same regardless.

Happy to hear that.

Anyway. I am only back for sanctimonious pricks.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2018, 12:45:12 AM »

Happy to hear that.

There's quite the crop since you last left.

But you've found that out first hand, haven't you? Wink
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2018, 12:47:17 AM »

Tam-tam.
see ya next year! 

Looks like next week would have been more accurate.  Tongue
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2018, 03:37:37 AM »

Welcome back!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2018, 06:17:54 AM »

A, Herr David, my other favourite target Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2018, 06:49:34 AM »

Happy to hear that.

I think together we could (and should) provide them with an uplifting spiritual and educational experience Smiley Are in for it?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2018, 07:29:00 AM »

Happy to hear that.

I think together we could (and should) provide them with an uplifting spiritual and educational experience Smiley Are in for it?

Does the pope seek to revitalize a moribund institution with subtle yet dramatically important gestures encapsulating the fundamental narrative of Christ as laid out in the New Testament-- and wear a funny hat? Wink
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2018, 07:42:59 AM »

Happy to hear that.

Does the pope seek to revitalize a moribund institution with subtle yet dramatically important gestures encapsulating the fundamental narrative of Christ as laid out in the New Testament-- and wear a funny hat? Wink

Humility, my dear sir! Humility! I am a humble feldkurat, no more Smiley
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »

I am simply trying to have some innocent fun, while making the humanity slightly better.

How does this site have so many mods & former mods who don't realize personal attacks and vulgar name-calling are against the ToS?    It's ridiculous.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2018, 12:45:54 PM »

How does this site have so many mods & former mods who don't realize personal attacks and vulgar name-calling are against the ToS?    It's ridiculous.

Very simple. There is no longer any such thing as personal attack in my book Smiley It is just being plainspoken. So the restriction, while valid, is vacuous. And this will remain the case till after the war.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies