If you were appointed the drawer all the congressional districts for 2022...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:59:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If you were appointed the drawer all the congressional districts for 2022...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ...how would you do it?
Republican gerrymander, even more so than the current one

Slight Republican gerrymander, but not going too far

Deliberately drawing swing districts all over the country to elect centrist Congress

Strict ban on gerrymandering, just drawing without any racial or partisan information

Marginal Democratic gerrymander, but not to an extreme

Complete Democratic gerrymander, getting rid of GOP in Cali, NY, and IL

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: If you were appointed the drawer all the congressional districts for 2022...  (Read 4480 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2017, 02:15:57 PM »

me I would choose Option 3 and Option 4.

The major states that need their districts redrawn because they are so odious looking are:

Pennsylvania
NC
Ohio
Michigan
Illinois
Maryland

I don't like California's top-two system.  Third parties in the state are now completely shut out of everything.  How was that progressive?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 02:21:01 PM »

Going out of one's way to create competitive districts is still gerrymandering. Draw districts that defer to the VRA and keep communities of interest together as best as possible.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 02:22:52 PM »

Anyone who votes for the first or last two options might as well admit they don't like the idea of free & fair elections.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 02:25:16 PM »

Anyone who votes for the first or last two options might as well admit they don't like the idea of free & fair elections.

-The elections are still free and fair, just uncompetitive and settled via primary.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 02:26:34 PM »

-The elections are still free and fair, just uncompetitive and settled via primary.

Yeah, no.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »

I would like to do option 3, but in terms of getting something popular into the Constitution, I have drafted a proposal for a constitutional amendment which (among other things) does option 4.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 02:52:18 PM »

I would draw per VRA guidelines and in a non-partisan manner.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »

The last one, for the reasons Virginia laid out.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 12:44:09 PM »

The sane, normal side of me prefers option 3: a congress that's as responsive to the people as possible.

However, I must admit, there is a craven, almost McConnelist part of me that would revel at option 6.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »

The sane, normal side of me prefers option 3: a congress that's as responsive to the people as possible.

However, I must admit, there is a craven, almost McConnelist part of me that would revel at option 6.
This, but I wouldn't be too upset about option 4 either.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »

Uh, NOTA? I would draw the districts so there is a roughly equal (when adjusted for the recent election) number of Democratic and Republican districts, and a number of swing districts, so that each state sends roughly the "correct" number of Reps from each party based on how it voted in 2020, while allowing for enough swing to reflect the naational/state mood if there's a wave. I'd rather have MMP, but if we absolutely have to do it this way let's do it right.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 01:19:55 PM »

Option 3 is just as bad as options 1 and 6, if you need proof that Moderate Hero hacks/Centrist Smiley ideologues are both real and can have some pretty awful views, look no further than smoltchanov.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 01:36:05 PM »

Option 3 is just as bad as options 1 and 6, if you need proof that Moderate Hero hacks/Centrist Smiley ideologues are both real and can have some pretty awful views, look no further than smoltchanov.

Option 3 isn't about a centrist congress, it's about an elastic one. It creates a level playing field. I couldn't care less about moderate hacks and I'm sure as heck not a moderate myself
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 02:43:13 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2017, 05:57:05 PM by Chickenhawk »

last option with no apologies or shame.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 10:40:24 PM »

Abolish districts and use proportional representation instead
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 10:50:15 PM »

All I know is the MA-01/MA-02 boundary and the MA-07/MA-08 boundary would be history.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 11:00:30 PM »

All I know is the MA-01/MA-02 boundary and the MA-07/MA-08 boundary would be history.

Would you put the boundary between Springfield and Wilbraham, and then through the Quabbin? I think that's the least terrible way to do it.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 03:17:08 AM »

"Strict ban on gerrymandering, just drawing without any racial or partisan information", obviously.

Extremely tired of excessive partisanship and gerrymandering in general, but recognize that there are large enough liberal and conservative areas, which must have their representation.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 07:15:45 AM »

Option 4 is good, except that ignoring racial information would violate the VRA, as it should (for a host of reasons). So all the options are a fail.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 07:29:28 AM »

Option 4 is good, except that ignoring racial information would violate the VRA, as it should (for a host of reasons). So all the options are a fail.

Not necessarily.  Non partisan drawings of boundaries are usually based on geography and communities of interest, so the 'communities of interest' part might ensure majority minority districts.

Of course, the VRA has been abused by Republicans to make districts far more majority minority than they need to be in order to pack the minorities into as few districts as possible, unfortunately, frequently with the consent (and sometimes the assistance) of the Democratic Representatives of those districts.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 07:37:17 AM »

Not necessarily.  Non partisan drawings of boundaries are usually based on geography and communities of interest, so the 'communities of interest' part might ensure majority minority districts.

Of course, the VRA has been abused by Republicans to make districts far more majority minority than they need to be in order to pack the minorities into as few districts as possible, unfortunately, frequently with the consent (and sometimes the assistance) of the Democratic Representatives of those districts.

The option 4 says you don't have any racial information, and many contiguous minority communities span jurisdictional lines, so as I say, it is a fail. You draw minority CD's when otherwise required by law, and do so in a way that otherwise hews to good redistricting principles. See the Muon2 rules for details. As a practical political matter, more minority CD's will be drawn than required by law, and the way to do that, is draw the additional minority CD's, if, and only if, both major parties agree to do so, and again, it is done in a way that otherwise hews to the maximum extent possible to good redistricting principles.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 08:03:26 AM »

Not necessarily.  Non partisan drawings of boundaries are usually based on geography and communities of interest, so the 'communities of interest' part might ensure majority minority districts.

The option 4 says you don't have any racial information, and many contiguous minority communities span jurisdictional lines, so as I say, it is a fail. You draw minority CD's when otherwise required by law, and do so in a way that otherwise hews to good redistricting principles. See the Muon2 rules for details. As a practical political matter, more minority CD's will be drawn than required by law, and the way to do that, is draw the additional minority CD's, if, and only if, both major parties agree to do so, and again, it is done in a way that otherwise hews to the maximum extent possible to good redistricting principles.

Fair point.  Option four is still the best option of those presented but clearly 'communities of interest' can not be determined if the racial make up of the communities aren't known.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 09:31:14 AM »

S I N G L E

T R A N S F E R A B L E

V O T E
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 09:35:10 AM »

S I N G L E

T R A N S F E R A B L E

V O T E

^^^^^^^
This really is the best option. Preferably with districts that ignore state boundaries (at least on the continental US) and a roughly proportional Senate that also follows STV rules and gives DC a single Senator.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 10:28:42 AM »

Going out of one's way to create competitive districts is still gerrymandering. Draw districts that defer to the VRA and keep communities of interest together as best as possible.

THIS
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies