CA-Sen: Feinstein gearing up for another run in 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:02:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-Sen: Feinstein gearing up for another run in 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: CA-Sen: Feinstein gearing up for another run in 2018  (Read 6113 times)
peterthlee
China

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 02:47:27 AM »

Yup, this. Her re-election bid might be branded as 'continuation of elderly-dominated politics', but she will win by +25 to +30 in the first round, and blanch any generic R by 65-35 in the runoff.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 05:44:39 AM »

Still holding out hope that Clooney challenges her. He can self-fund (though he probably wouldn't have to) and has nothing to lose.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 05:48:13 AM »

Even as a relative standard democrat, who opposes the whole 'Primary, Primary, Primary' mentality Feinstein really has to go. She'd be 92 by the time that her next term ends which is just ridiculous; and the strength of the Dem Bench in CA means that the torch really needs to pass 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 06:29:41 AM »

Even as a relative standard democrat, who opposes the whole 'Primary, Primary, Primary' mentality Feinstein really has to go. She'd be 92 by the time that her next term ends which is just ridiculous; and the strength of the Dem Bench in CA means that the torch really needs to pass 

I don't even know why you'd oppose primarying bad Democrats. There have been so few successful primaries from the left. I guess there was Donna Edwards for some random House district in 2008, but that's irrelevant now.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 07:15:34 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2017, 07:17:10 AM by smoltchanov »

I don't even know why you'd oppose primarying bad Democrats. There have been so few successful primaries from the left. I guess there was Donna Edwards for some random House district in 2008, but that's irrelevant now.

The question is: who decides that they are "bad".... There are Democrats who will honestly say that Edwards is very "bad".... Everything depends on point of view.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 07:50:27 AM »

The question is: who decides that they are "bad".... There are Democrats who will honestly say that Edwards is very "bad".... Everything depends on point of view.

I mean, ultimately the voters end up decideing, although it's fine to disagree with them.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 07:53:10 AM »

I mean, ultimately the voters end up decideing, although it's fine to disagree with them.

So far voters decided in Feinstein's favor. She didn't even had to sweat. We will see..
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 08:52:03 AM »

So far voters decided in Feinstein's favor. She didn't even had to sweat. We will see..

True, but there's nothing wrong with giving them that choice in the first place.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »

True, but there's nothing wrong with giving them that choice in the first place.

Of course. But i don't see Feinstein as "more conservative" then California as a whole. IMHO - she is more then an adequate Senator)))
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2017, 10:12:01 AM »

Oh I don't- I would have supported Ned Lamont in 2006 against Lieberman, and others such as that. I just mean that I'm not someone who thinks that people like Manchin should be primaried for voting for Sessions
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »

ONG, she's 83. EIGHTHY-THREE.

"We need Feinstein in the Senate now more than ever" my ass. I hope Eisen or some other progressive Dem beats her in the runoff. This is ridiculous.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 11:06:23 AM »

So what? "Old Strom" served until 100, Robert Byrd - until 92, IIRC. Both were not idiots, that sure...
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »

Of course. But i don't see Feinstein as "more conservative" then California as a whole. IMHO - she is more then an adequate Senator)))

You're being kind of obtuse. We get it, you like Feinstein. Doesn't mean everyone else has to.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »

I mean Bernie Sanders will be 76 years old, no one is criticizing him.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 11:11:14 AM »

So what? "Old Strom" served until 100, Robert Byrd - until 92, IIRC. Both were not idiots, that sure...

Both were horribly racist. Not the best examples.

François, I'd be cool with Sanders retiring as well, so someone like Ashe or Weinberger can get in there. That said Vermont is a suboptimal place to launch a national campaign as we just saw.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2017, 11:20:09 AM »

Strom Thurmond was a racist old kook before he retired and Robert Byrd is an exception to the rule for being both Senate majority leader and President pro temp. There's no reason for Feinstein to run to serve another six years.

If Sanders retired in 2024 after getting re-elected next year, he still wouldn't be as old as Feinstein is now.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2017, 11:25:33 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2017, 02:56:46 PM by smoltchanov »

Both were horribly racist. Not the best examples.

In the past. When about 80% of Alabama voters, and, probably, 60%  of West Virginia's were racists too. Both were NOT racists since at least early 1970th.

P.S. The fact that George Wallace was racist in the past didn't prevented him from getting about 1/3 of Black vote in 1982 Democratic primary (run-off) and overwhelming majority of Black vote in general. I tend to agree with Wallace phrase, which essentially says "When overwhelming majority of Alabama's voters were racist - so was George Wallace. Now Alabama changed and so did George Wallace". It's natural for a congressman or senator to reflect prevailng district/state feelings.. At the same time - ultraracist Alabama's governor of 1958 (John Patterson, who "outsegged" Wallace in that campaign) was solid Obama's backer in 2008 ... And Obama didn't disavoved his support...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2017, 11:28:05 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2017, 12:18:24 PM by smoltchanov »

Strom Thurmond was a racist old kook before he retired

Thurmond wasn't a racist since 1970th, when he began to hire Black assistants and help Blacks to be appointed to different posts. Thurmond of 1970th was different from Thurmond of 1948.. Conservative - of course, but no more racist.. History changes people just as vice versa..
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2017, 09:12:38 PM »

I take it you weren't on this forum in the first half of last year.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 09:33:15 PM »

Strom Thurmond was a racist old kook before he retired

Thurmond wasn't a racist since 1970th, when he began to hire Black assistants and help Blacks to be appointed to different posts. Thurmond of 1970th was different from Thurmond of 1948.. Conservative - of course, but no more racist.. History changes people just as vice versa..

OK, he had some black friends. He still never renounced his segregationist views as far as I know.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »

We could have Alex Padilla, Kevin de Leon, John Chiang, Raul Ruiz in this seat instead we have a 80 year old white women representing one of the most diverse states in the country.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2017, 09:37:07 PM »

I really hope someone steps up and seriously challenges her, look at Pete Stark and Mike Honda you can take out these dinosaurs!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2017, 10:55:21 PM »

I really hope someone steps up and seriously challenges her, look at Pete Stark and Mike Honda you can take out these dinosaurs!

Those were both defeated from the right. Top two is a problem for defeating a bad Democrat from the left.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2017, 11:00:38 PM »

I like some of Feinstein's views. She is a Scoop Jackson moderate on some issues. Leave her alone. She'll win reelection unless she is very unpopular.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2017, 11:03:43 PM »

For a second I thought you were suggesting that Stark and Honda run against Feinstein, haha.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies