*LIVE* Tuesday Night: Debate Night in Atlasia, 7-9 Eastern on Valentines' Day
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:07:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  *LIVE* Tuesday Night: Debate Night in Atlasia, 7-9 Eastern on Valentines' Day
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: *LIVE* Tuesday Night: Debate Night in Atlasia, 7-9 Eastern on Valentines' Day  (Read 573 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2017, 09:12:20 PM »

First-Ever* IRC Presidential Debate
7-9 Eastern Time on Tuesday, February 14

*-I mean, probably the first ever

Invited Candidates:
NeverAgain (Labor)
dfwlibertylover (Federalist)
Winfield (Independent)
Maxwell (Communist)

We are pleased to announce that a Presidential Debate will take place in IRC! Occurring in the channel #debate from 7:00 to 9:00 ET, Presidential candidates will square off in a real-time battle of wit, knowledge, charisma, and typing ability -- and all as the rest of the world enjoys human affection on a holiday that celebrates the romantic love we will never find!

Where You Should Go:

You can't really see the debate unless you are in the channel #debate. It is also probably a good idea to join #debatelobby for reasons stated below.

How to Get There:
How to IRC

1. go to www.mibbit.com
2. click "launch app/client/whatever"
3. go to #atlasforum#debate and #debatelobby
4. Huh
5. profit!

What to Do When You Get There:
#debate:
Watch the debate.

#debatelobby
In this chat, you may comment on the Presidential debate as it happens. You may also ask appropriate questions of the candidates, which the moderator will post in debate chat. Please do not be disruptive or disrespectful, as you will be removed from the chat.

Rules:
If a candidate receives a question, they will have two minutes to speak. If their name is mentioned by another candidate, they will have thirty seconds to speak. Because candidates will probably need breaks to pee and whatnot, if a candidate is marked as away in chat they will not be required to respond to questions or asked direct questions. Their loss  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Finally:
If you have any questions, contact me here!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 09:14:23 PM »

Hooray for outsourcing more activity from the AFE Board to IRC! Tongue
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 10:15:47 PM »

I have sent the following to Ted Bessell, explaining why I am unavailable for this IRC debate.

So everyone understands my position, here are the details:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your debate invitation.

Of course, I want to participate in this debate.

Your invitation and the debate are getting awfully close to the election.

Here is my schedule for this coming week.

Monday I am free during the day only.

Tuesday I am not free day or evening.  I am putting in volunteer service work.

Wednesday I am free during the day only.

Thursday I am free during the day only.

I would love to participate in this debate, but due to my heavy schedule this coming week, and the short notice I received, can you change the format to allow the candidates to answer the questions and respond to the other candidates when  they are free to do so?

Thank you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Therefore, unfortunately, I am unavailable for this debate.

Myself, I would much prefer the AFE to hold a debate on the Fantasy Elections board, which everyone can see.

On top of which, I do not use live chat rooms.

I consider Atlas to be a forum, not a chat room in that sense.

But thank you Mr. Bessell for your invitation.  Good luck with your debate in the chat room.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 10:20:37 PM »

I have a class that goes from 6 to 9 on Valentines day so that won't work for me as well.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 10:28:31 PM »

I have a class that goes from 6 to 9 on Valentines day so that won't work for me as well.
I have sent the following to Ted Bessell, explaining why I am unavailable for this IRC debate.

So everyone understands my position, here are the details:
Thank you for your debate invitation.

Of course, I want to participate in this debate.

Your invitation and the debate are getting awfully close to the election.

Here is my schedule for this coming week.

Monday I am free during the day only.

Tuesday I am not free day or evening.  I am putting in volunteer service work.

Wednesday I am free during the day only.

Thursday I am free during the day only.

I would love to participate in this debate, but due to my heavy schedule this coming week, and the short notice I received, can you change the format to allow the candidates to answer the questions and respond to the other candidates when  they are free to do so?

Thank you.

Therefore, unfortunately, I am unavailable for this debate.

Myself, I would much prefer the AFE to hold a debate on the Fantasy Elections board, which everyone can see.

On top of which, I do not use live chat rooms.

I consider Atlas to be a forum, not a chat room in that sense.

But thank you Mr. Bessell for your invitation.  Good luck with your debate in the chat room.

Sad, but okie dokie.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »

*bump*

It's tonight, people! Be there or be square. Smiley
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 06:58:35 PM »

IT'S STARTING SOON! Dis gon' be lit yo!
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 07:10:22 PM »

Happening now! Cheesy
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 07:22:25 PM »

16:08   TedBessell   okay, let's get rollin
16:08      --- dfwlibertylover is away (going to whole foods)
16:08   TedBessell   okay
16:08      --- dfwlibertylover is back
16:08   dfwlibertylover   test
16:08   TedBessell   neveragain, you can deliver an opening statement
16:08   NeverAgain   Hola
16:08   NeverAgain   Test
16:08   NeverAgain   Okay
16:09      *** L31N4D is now known as Leinad
16:09   NeverAgain   Well, I want to first thank everyone for being here. Very happy to join dfw on this historic occasion for Atlasia, to really be starting the new modernization of our game.
16:09   NeverAgain   So moving on to what I am doing here:
16:10   NeverAgain   I won't go into another ramble, as I did in the AFE board debate, but I want to state clearly the reason I am here tonight: to fight for working families.
16:11   NeverAgain   We've got to have each and every family in Atlasia be able to reach their full, god-given potential and I am running to ensure that we continue the progress I have done, and what to continue to do for working families.
16:11      *** HSTruman joined #debate
16:11   NeverAgain   Thank you.
16:12   TedBessell   thank you, mr. speaker.
16:12   TedBessell   dfwlibertylover: you have [number] minutes/
6:12   dfwlibertylover   Thank you, I would like to thank TedBessell for hosting this debate and all of those who are attending or reading this in the future.I am running to restore infrastructure, draw back our nation-building policy,
16:13   dfwlibertylover   and to to help restore power to those who do not have it, I believe I can be an active President and that is why I'm running
16:13   dfwlibertylover   .
16:13   TedBessell   finito?
16:14   dfwlibertylover   mhmm
16:14   TedBessell   okie dokie
16:14   TedBessell   this question is for both candidates
16:15      *** DavidB quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)

16:16   TedBessell   tension between atlasia and turkey is at an all-time high after the assassination of our ambassador on their soil and their government accusing us of orchestrating a coup. as president, how would you address this tension?
16:16   TedBessell   governor, you first.
16:17      *** dar joined #debate
16:17   dfwlibertylover   Thank you, I want to avoid war at all costs and given that Turkey is in NATO, war between our two nations would split the alliance apart. I would like to hold talks in both Nyman and in Ankara to talk about
16:17   dfwlibertylover   what can be done to help resolve these tensions, including new programs that will help bring the two nations closer together.
16:18   TedBessell   mr. speaker, go right ahead.
16:19      *** Dereich joined #debate
16:19   NeverAgain   Thanks, I want to first state my extreme sorrow to the family of the Ambassador, this attack was an atrocity and deserves every Atlasian's sympathy on the matter.
16:20   NeverAgain   But we cannot come to rash conclusions on the matter. I plan to coordinate a meeting between myself, and my Secretary of State with President Erdogan to discuss our relationship, which has been extremely strained as of late.
16:21   NeverAgain   But I want to emphasize that we must continue to support this ally, which has assisted us so greatly in the fight against the terror and evil of ISIS.
16:21   NeverAgain   Thank you.
16:21      *** SouthernGothic joined #debate
16:21   TedBessell   [switches to proper grammar]
16:21   TedBessell   Thank you, candidates.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 07:32:38 PM »

16:22      *** Peebs is now known as LesbianThespianLoggerf
16:22      *** LesbianThespianLoggerf is now known as LesbianThespianLogger
16:22   TedBessell   This question is also for both candidates.
16:22      *** dar is now known as Do

16:22      *** LesbianThespianLogger is now known as Peebs
16:22      *** Do is now known as dar
6:24      *** Do_You_Support_a_Universal_Bas is now known as dar
16:24   TedBessell   Many Atlasians feel that manufacturing jobs have fled the country for other places around the globe. What, if anything, would you do to address this issue?
16:24   TedBessell   Mr. Speaker, you first.
16:25   NeverAgain   Great question. This is one that is EXTREMELY close to my heart.
16:26   NeverAgain   The issue of manufacturing, which has been SO essential for the structuring of our economy and for the survival of the middle class, is one the must be upheld.
16:26   NeverAgain   We must first look to the reason for these jobs fleeing, and I think we can look no further than some of the deals that have been made with other nations.
16:27   NeverAgain   I consider myself a supporter of Free-Trade, but not unlimited free-trade like some support.
16:28   NeverAgain   I think, where reasonable, we must look to a system of tariffs that can help support our manufacturers staying in the U.S., while also ending off-shore loopholes and incentives for companies to flee to other nations.
16:28   NeverAgain   As President, I plan to review our options and bring back a strong and thriving working class.
16:28   NeverAgain   Thank you.
16:29   TedBessell   Thank you, Mr. Speaker.
16:29      *** dar is now known as HowAboutTheJews
16:29   TedBessell   Mr. Governor?
16:29   dfwlibertylover   This is question I have focused on in the campaign. I believe that helping to revamp the infrastructure system will help to provide at least short-term jobs for those who are unemployed.
16:30   dfwlibertylover   In the meantime, I am pitching new programs that help teach workers new job skills that will allow them to get higher wage jobs that are in more demand
16:30      *** TimTurner quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
16:31      *** Classic joined #debate
16:31   dfwlibertylover   These programs will allow them and their families to have sustainable jobs for the times to come, without invoking tarrifs which will only increase prices of goods for the average consumer.
16:31   dfwlibertylover   Thank you.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 07:47:07 PM »

16:32   TedBessell   Thank you, Mr. Governor.
16:32   TedBessell   The next question is for Governor dfwlibertylover.
16:34      *** TimTurner joined #debate
16:34   TedBessell   Mr. Governor, after the recent incident in which you commissioned a Governmental investigation of the Labor Party, some have questioned your temperament. What do you say to those who are troubled by this?
16:35   dfwlibertylover   I discussed it with my chamber and the ones I talked to (which composed a majority) agreed to it. But after some re-thinking, despite my still believing that pressure was applied to a government official based in the south, I do not believe anything illegal was done.
16:36   dfwlibertylover   As for my temperament, I look at things in the now and in the future and I evaluate things as they are. I rarely get angry and when I do I quickly apologize and rapidly mend relations with those involved.
16:36   dfwlibertylover   So I believe I am temperamentally fit to be President, thank you.
16:36   TedBessell   Thank you, Mr. Governor
16:37   TedBessell   The next question is for Speaker NeverAgain.
16:37   NeverAgain   If I may, Mr. Moderator.
16:37   NeverAgain   I would like to state something on the question to the Governor.
16:38   TedBessell   Eh, whatevs. I will hold your opponent to the same standard, though 
16:38   NeverAgain   I wouldn't expect anything different. Thank you.
16:39   NeverAgain   I thank the Governor for realizing his mistake, and I am very glad he made the decision to stop such a silly prospect. I have known Governor Truman, and Representative Blair for almost two years now, and they are the highest caliber of persons.
6:41   NeverAgain   My worry lies with the fact that this supposed investigation came after my opponent was angered at my decision to choose SouthernGothic to be my Vice President, and while I do think my opponent is qualified, I worry at this temper and outbursts concerning things that upset him.

16:41   NeverAgain   Thank you.
16:41   dfwlibertylover   I would like to respond as I was mentioned
16:41   TedBessell   You may, Governor.
16:41   dfwlibertylover   I would like to respond as I was mentioned
16:41   TedBessell   You may, Governor.

16:42   dfwlibertylover   SouthernGothic and I are good friends and so we talked heavily about the matter. That is beside the point, if I thought this would be another one of NeverAgain's attacking PM's, I would not have agreed to do it.
16:42   dfwlibertylover   I would like to continue this as a positive debate as my Campaign has been, thank you.
16:43   NeverAgain   As I was also mentioned, I'd like to state a quick statement.
16:43   TedBessell   NeverAgain may respond, as his name was mentioned, but please don't keep back-and-forth-ing -- there are lots of other topics to address.
16:43   NeverAgain   I completely agree. I will make this short.
16:45   NeverAgain   I think that ensuring a positive dialogue is good, but I am genuinely worried about the future of our nation, and having someone who makes rash decisions filled with personal anger or distaste in the Oval Office will exacerbate this worry of mine and many in the nation who share this worry.
16:45   NeverAgain   Thank you.
16:46   dfwlibertylover   I would like to move on now, Mr. Moderator.
16:46   TedBessell   Of course, Mr. Governor.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 07:55:12 PM »

16:46   TedBessell   Of course, Mr. Governor.
16:46   TedBessell   As I was saying, the next question is for Speaker NeverAgain.
16:47   NeverAgain   Ready and rearing, Mr. Moderator.
16:49   TedBessell   Mr Speaker, numerous scandals over the past decade or so have riled the Veterans' Affair Administration. What reforms will you make, if any, to ensure that veterans have proper access to healthcare?
16:49   NeverAgain   Great question.
16:50   NeverAgain   The VA Scandal is something that affects me so very personally. As some of you probably know, my father served in Vietnam, and my Uncle is a serving full Colonel in our Air Force, so when I hear that some veterans waited almost 400 days to even get an appointment, it sickens me.
16:51   NeverAgain   I faced this problem head-on as Governor of the Mideast and had to get down to the heart of the problem.
16:53   NeverAgain   I think one of the solutions must be allowing for more rural access, as a majority of Veterans live outside of the "as the crow flies" 40 mile distance needed for recovery. We must end that, while increasing the amount of rural health and VA clinics.
16:54   NeverAgain   One of my first actions is to appoint a taskforce to solve this problem and propose legislation to ensure that NO man or woman who has served this nation with honor and dignity is not able to access the care they need, and deserve.
16:54   NeverAgain   Thank you.
16:54   TedBessell   Thank you, Mr. Speaker.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 08:00:50 PM »

16:55   TedBessell   There will be one more individual question for each candidate before we move on to the town hall portion
16:55   TedBessell   This is for Governor dfwlibertylover/
16:57   TedBessell   Mr. Governor, the issue of environmental regulations has been very contentious of late. What do you think the government's role in protecting the environment?
16:57   TedBessell   (and, accordingly, what should environmental policies would you pursue?)
16:58   dfwlibertylover   The Government should have a steady but fair hand in regulating the environment and I would keep most, if not all, of the present regulations in place.
16:58      *** Classic left #debate
16:59   dfwlibertylover   Adding on, I believe my main policy would be in terms of energy, regardless of how you may feel about the environment, we need to begin focusing on new energy sources because eventually we will run out of oil.
16:59      *** Classic joined #debate
17:00   dfwlibertylover   I believe strongly in hydroelectricity and solar power along with wind and geothermal energy, and where it is possible, nuclear energy. But this will be a slow transition while we train those in the non-renewable field for new jobs!
17:00   dfwlibertylover   Thank you.
17:00   TedBessell   Thank you, Mr. Governor.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 08:09:18 PM »

17:00   TedBessell   The next question is for Mr. Speaker.
17:00   TedBessell   (NeverAgain)
17:02   TedBessell   Mr. Speaker, some people have attacked you over periods in which you have not posted on the AFE board, despite posting elsewhere on the site. How do you address these claims, and can you promise to maintain a high standard of activity as President?
17:02   TedBessell   *boards
17:02   NeverAgain   I believe you mean the Government board, Mr. Moderator?
17:03   NeverAgain   As I am quite active on the Elections board.
17:03   TedBessell   Yes, Mr. Speaker.
17:03   NeverAgain   Okay. Great.
17:04   NeverAgain   Yes, this is a good question. I am assume that Yankee is listening right now, so I will tell him that I will be updating the Government posts right after this debate, haha!
17:05   NeverAgain   So, yes, I went through a period of being extremely under the weather as Speaker, without establishing a set LOA on the matter.
17:05      *** HowAboutTheJews is now known as dar
17:06   NeverAgain   I think that was a mistake that I openly admit, and I am entirely in support, before my term is up, of establishing a fully set chain of command on the matter.
17:06   NeverAgain   But I think the most important issue is to spread some of the work around, and I know I am not making many friends outside of my successor (you'll thank me
17:07   NeverAgain   I think that having some of these joint sessions, and having fuller periods of debate will tremendously decrease the strain of the Speaker, and bring back the full ideologue that we so desire as Atlasians.
17:08   NeverAgain   I look forward to working with my successor and the new House (and Senate) to do this.
17:08   NeverAgain   Thank you.
17:08   TedBessell   We will now begin the town hall portion of the debate.
17:08      *** davidb quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 08:17:37 PM »

17:08   TedBessell   First, we have Northern resident Mike Wells.
17:08      *** SouthernGothic quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
17:08      +++ TedBessell has given voice to mwells
17:08      *** davidb joined #debate
17:09   NeverAgain   Governor*
17:10   mwells   Is the movement to rename regions a positive development? How should it be done?
17:10   NeverAgain   Who is this to, Mr. Resident?
17:11   TedBessell   For both candidates, correct, Mr. Wells?
17:11   TedBessell   (mwells)
17:11   mwells   oui
17:11   TedBessell   Mr. Speaker, you may go first.
17:11      +++ TedBessell has taken voice from mwells
17:11   NeverAgain   Great, thank you.
17:11   NeverAgain   Great, thank you.
17:12   NeverAgain   Well, I think that it is the start of a very interesting process.
17:12   NeverAgain   I think that delving into regional history, which I believe is what the naming movement is all about, is wonderful, and we are currently working on it in the Constitutional task force down in my Region of the South.
17:13   NeverAgain   But I think it underscores the need for other regional changes also.
17:14   NeverAgain   I have always believed that the regions are the best "test tubes for democracy" and I think that whether it is testing out new ideas like districts, or whether it is establishing the illustrious history the region has to offer, we must help these movements prosper.
17:14   NeverAgain   Thank you for your question, Mr. Wells (Resident).
17:15   TedBessell   Mr. Governor?
17:15   dfwlibertylover   Thank you for the question Mr. Wells, I believe very strongly in regional rights and thus I believe that the regions should widely decide what is right for themselves.
17:15   dfwlibertylover   A President should only intervene in the regions when there is a major crisis or major inactivity, but I do think it is an interesting idea.
17:15   dfwlibertylover   Thank you.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 08:26:03 PM »

17:17   TedBessell   The next question is from dar.
17:17      +++ TedBessell has given voice to dar

17:18   dar   Thank you, Mr. Bessell. My question goes to both the Senator and the Assemblyman. Is the nation of Israel a fundamentally good force in society? Please include in your answer either a "yes" or a "no".
17:18   TedBessell   Mr. Governor, you may go first.
17:18      dfwlibertylover coughs Governor you mean
17:18      *** Diptheriadan joined #debate
17:19      *** dar quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
17:19   TedBessell   Diptheriadan: 17:18 dar Thank you, Mr. Bessell. My question goes to both the Senator and the Assemblyman. Is the nation of Israel a fundamentally good force in society? Please include in your answer either a "yes" or a "no".
17:19   TedBessell   Apologies, Mr. Governor.
17:20      *** Diptheriadan quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)

17:20   dfwlibertylover   Hmmm, I'm not sure what a good force in society quite means, but yes, I believe they are a good country in the world. They are a key ally and a good force in the world.
      Join #debatelobby for discussion!
      Topic set by TedBessell on Tue Feb 14 2017 17:21:01 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
17:21   dfwlibertylover   If you mean the Jewish people then yes I believe they do positively impact our society.
17:21   dfwlibertylover   Thank you.
17:21   NeverAgain   Okay, yeah, a little confusing question.
17:21   TedBessell   Mr. Speaker, you may respond.
17:21   NeverAgain   Thank you.
17:22      *** mwells quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
17:22   NeverAgain   Yeah, I am and have always been a strong supporter of Israel, from ALL threats whether it be Assad in the North or ISIS in the East, I am fully committed to defending Israel's right to exist as they continue to be our strongest ally.
17:22   NeverAgain   Thank you.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 08:31:54 PM »

17:23   TedBessell   The next question is from Fremont Resident AZ.
17:23      +++ TedBessell has given voice to AZ
17:25   AZ   As we have seen, the issue of Abortion has become a contentious issue recently at both the federal and regional level. If elected President how would you choose to regulate Abortion at the federal level?
17:25   TedBessell   Thank you, Mr. AZ.
17:26      +++ TedBessell has taken voice from AZ
17:26   TedBessell   Mr. Speaker, you can take this first.
17:26   NeverAgain   Okay, thank you.
17:26   NeverAgain   As many people know, my Vice President and I, disagree on this matter and it is actually one of the reasons I chose him.
17:27   NeverAgain   I believe that to advance on an issue, we must have both sides heard on this issue.
17:27   NeverAgain   any issue*
17:27   NeverAgain   I believe that the government has no right to try and tell what a woman should or should not do with her own body.
17:29   NeverAgain   On the issue of legislation, I am with the Supreme Court in believing that abortion should and must be a sliding scale depending on viability outside the womb. I stand strongly supportive of that view, but I am always open to listening to opposing viewpoints, just like my Vice Presidential Nominee has.
17:29   NeverAgain   Thank you.
17:29   TedBessell   Thank you, Mr. Speaker.
17:29   TedBessell   Mr. Governor?
17:30   dfwlibertylover   Thank you for the question, Mr. AZ. I am pro-life myself, but as I have promised I am a firm believer in regional rights and always have been, thus I will leave this issue to the regions. I believe they should be able to set their own standards on abortion.
17:31   dfwlibertylover   That is essentially how I feel on the issue, but I do not force my positions on the regions if I do not believe it is the federal government's job to mandate it.
17:31   dfwlibertylover   Thank you.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 08:43:21 PM »

17:32   TedBessell   Thank you, Mr. Governor.
17:32   TedBessell   Our next question is from Southern Resident Classic.
17:32      +++ TedBessell has given voice to Classic
17:32   Classic   Thank you, my esteemed friend from the West for the warm introduction. This question is to both the young man from the Old Dominion State and my friend from the great energy producing state of Texas. This question came from a poor man in Kentucky, Cassius Stonewall Jackson Lee, a man who worked for over 60 years in the coal mines and fought in WW2. He wants..
17:34      *** smilo joined #debate
17:34   Classic   to know about Appalachian jobs. "Over the past sixty years, the coalfields of West Virginia have gone from bustling centers of life to the paradise of drug addicts. The tobacco fields of Kentucky have gone from giant centers of industry to abandoned fields. What will you do to a) bring our jobs back or b) attract new jobs to this area. The poor rural men and.
17:35   Classic   women of our land need your help.
17:35   Classic   Thanks!
17:35   NeverAgain   If I may, I'd like to take the question first.
17:35   TedBessell   You may, Mr. Speaker.
17:36   NeverAgain   First, I want to thank Mr. Jackson Lee for his question, I know the lands he speaks of mighty well, as I have been there day and night on my tours around our great Southern region.
17:36   NeverAgain   But on to your question.
17:36      +++ TedBessell has taken voice from Classic
17:37   NeverAgain   The issue of Coal has been so hotly contested in the past couple of years, and I think that too often we forget about folks in rural communities.
17:38   NeverAgain   We must emphasize that we need to put the needs of our most vulnerable citizens before anything else, like those that are affected by the opium crisis and those who are struggling with the seeming "Coal War" that is currently going on in the areas you mention.
17:39      *** FlyingSpenstar joined #debate
17:39   NeverAgain   So, I am proposing a new "Coal Jobs Innovation Fund" similar to the one I proposed in the Clean Coasts Act for fishermen, to diversify the economy and work force of many of the areas you mention, and which go hand in hand in the increase in opium addiction.
17:40   NeverAgain   I plan to make that one of my central issue within the first days of my Presidency.
17:40   NeverAgain   Thank you.
17:40   TedBessell   Thank you, Mr. Speaker.
17:40   TedBessell   Mr. Governor, you may respond.
17:41   dfwlibertylover   Thank you very much for this question, as I mentioned earlier I have a clear plan on what to do from Appalachia to the Industrial North and the poor areas across the nation. Every area below the poverty line has one thing in common.
17:41   dfwlibertylover   They all have been left behind as we advance into the modern age, nobody has come to help them, nobody has shown them a way to escape poverty, for them, the Atlasian dream has failed.
17:42   dfwlibertylover   As I proposed earlier, we must establish programs to train these workers for new fields which does mean "diversifying the economy", but in the meantime, the industrial projects I am aiming for will help them
17:42   dfwlibertylover   take in money in the short term, while in the long term wages will increase in the region as more and more of these workers get newer jobs.
17:42   dfwlibertylover   Thank you.

Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 08:53:52 PM »

17:43   TedBessell   Thank you, Mr. Governor.

17:43   TedBessell   Next up is Southern resident Leinad.
17:43      +++ TedBessell has given voice to Leinad
17:44   Leinad   One of the other candidates, who unfortunately could not be here, proposed abolition of homeschooling
17:44   Leinad   what are your proposals to improve the education system
17:44   Leinad   and what is your appeal to the Key Voter Demographic of Homeschooled-Atlasians
17:45   Leinad   ?
17:45   TedBessell   Thank you, Mr. Tloh.
17:45      +++ TedBessell has taken voice from Leinad
17:45   TedBessell   Mr. Governor?
17:45   NeverAgain   I took the question the first time before, I will let the governor take it.
17:46   TedBessell   ik 
17:47   dfwlibertylover   the education system is yet another issue that I believe is a REGIONAL ISSUE, we have seen how certain nationalized standards have absolutely failed our education system. Banning homeschooling however, is absolutely idiotic.
17:47   dfwlibertylover   Homeschooling is designed for students who cannot go to public schools and some students CANNOT go to public school because of illnesses and so the idea of banning homeschooling is perhaps, one of the most idiotic ideas ever made on Atlasia.
17:47   dfwlibertylover   Thank you.
17:48   NeverAgain   First off, thank you Mr. Leinad for the question.
17:49   NeverAgain   Our educational system has to be one of the utmost importance to us as legislators and executours.
17:49   NeverAgain   It has been called the "great equalizer" for the reason that it is one of the only issues that we agree that we must preserve and protect.
17:49   NeverAgain   But on to your question.
17:50   NeverAgain   First off, as someone that was home schooled for half my schooling days, I might be the best argument against it, haha. But seriously, I see no rationale in banning home schooling, especially for special needs kids who are sometimes best taught through home tudors, and the like.
17:52   NeverAgain   But on the overall educational system, I will be proposing a "New Deal" on Education. We've got to first off, get rid of these useless standardized tests that only divide us, not help us learn.
17:52      *** Dip joined #debate
17:52   NeverAgain   We've also got to increase the NUMBER of teachers, I plan on doing that through a new grant and incentive for students to become educators.
17:53   NeverAgain   In the coming days I plan to propose a detailed policy proposal on that front and would ask that you look at that also.
17:53   NeverAgain   Thank you.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 09:02:16 PM »

17:53   TedBessell   Thank you, candidates.
17:53   TedBessell   Our next question is from HSTruman.

17:54      +++ TedBessell has given voice to HSTruman
17:55   HSTruman   Thank you, gentlemen. Last year, the State Department and the UK Commonwealth Office negotiated the Atlasia-British Common Market Agreement (ABCMA). While the treaty was quickly ratified by the Senate and approved overwhelmingly by a public referendum, efforts to implement the treaty have be neglected by the last two administrations.
17:56   HSTruman   As president, will you pursue full implementation of this agreement, and if so, how?
17:57   NeverAgain   If I may take this question.
17:57   TedBessell   ofc

17:57   NeverAgain   Great question, I remember when it was proposed, I was very enthusiastic about it's possibilities for our new British partners.
7:58   NeverAgain   I will definitely make it a priority of my administration to bring the UK into this agreement and work with them, as we did with the Canadians so long ago to establish to working partnership.
17:59   NeverAgain   In short, this will be a MAJOR priority of my administration, thank you.
17:59   TedBessell   Governor dfw?
18:00   dfwlibertylover   I worked very hard to get this passed when I was PPT of the Senate and I am glad we did! Foreign policy is one of my main policy focuses and I will work hard to implement this, I believe that Britain is one our main allies overall.
18:01   dfwlibertylover   Furthermore, as part of my re-evaluation and the continuation of the ongoing foreign policy review, I would like to ensure that Britain is made on the highest priority as it should be our highest priority for the future. As should be most of Europe.
18:01   dfwlibertylover   Thank you.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 09:12:32 PM »

18:02   TedBessell   Our next question is from Claccis Connervatis.
18:03      +++ TedBessell has given voice to Classic
18:03   dfwlibertylover   I will not answer any questions in Latin 
18:03      +++ TedBessell has taken voice from HSTruman
18:03   NeverAgain   The same.
18:03   NeverAgain   As I.
18:04   Classic   My friends, as I have been traveling our country, I have encountered the sadness of obesity and other diseases that hurt our health and take away to many Atlasians, due to both poor health and genetics. This question came from a young woman in Missouri named Susan Hodges who works as both a nurse practitioner and a caretaker to both of her parents. Her father
18:04   Classic   has Alzheimer's Disease and her mother has stage four ovarian cancer. She wants to know, "What will you do to help those who are with horrible diseases with no cures, and what will you do to increase funding to cure cancer, Alzheimer's, diabetes et cetera?
18:04   dfwlibertylover   Can I take this one first
18:04   Classic   Gratias Tibi Ago!
18:04   NeverAgain   GO for it
18:05   TedBessell   Sure, Governor.
18:05      +++ TedBessell has taken voice from Classic
18:06   dfwlibertylover   Thank you for the question, the best way to cure these diseases I believe is to increase funding to our universities. Our universities are often hard at work, working on developing and spreading cures for these diseases and ailments to our citizens.
18:07   dfwlibertylover   For example, the University of Texas at Arlington has recently developed a way to detect the flu just by using mucus in a machine and they have also developed a possible cure for ovarian cancer rather recently.
18:07   dfwlibertylover   If we increase funding and invest in our universities, it will not only help develop our job market but it will also help speed up progress on solving our county's health problems!
18:07   dfwlibertylover   Thank you.
18:08   TedBessell   Mr. Speaker.
18:09   NeverAgain   Well, first off, I want to extend my sincerest sympathies to Mrs. Hodges and her family in their time of need. My mother worked as a PA and Nurse Practitioner and so I remember hearing the stories around the dinner table similar to what Mrs. Hodges is facing.
18:10   NeverAgain   On this issue, I am STRONGLY in support of increasing the National Institute of Health's budget to help solve these tragedic diseases

18:11   NeverAgain   They have worked day and night and are on their way to finding a cure for the Zika virus, and state that it is possible we may see a possible cure for some cancers within the next decade, and I am FULLY committed to that vision, and will support funding measures toward that goal.
18:11      *** HSTruman quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)

18:11   NeverAgain   Thank you.
18:12      *** Classic quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 09:25:39 PM »

18:12   TedBessell   Next up, AZ.

18:12      +++ TedBessell has given voice to AZ
18:12      *** Dip quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
18:14      *** diptheriadan joined #debate
18:14      --- Peebs is away (food)
18:15   AZ   Thanks for agreeing to take this question. Over the last few years we have see some very contentious and emotional debates on the issue of both Keystone XL and the Dakota access oil pipelines. What is your view on these two pipelines, would you approve them as President even conditionally?
18:15      *** Enduro joined #debate
18:15   NeverAgain   21:15 AZ Thanks for agreeing to take this question. Over the last few years we have see some very contentious and emotional debates on the issue of both Keystone XL and the Dakota access oil pipelines. What is your view on these two pipelines, would you approve them as President even conditionally?
18:15   NeverAgain   cough*
18:16   NeverAgain   Okay, well I will take the question first, if my opponent doesn't mind.
18:16   NeverAgain   The Keystone and Dakota Access Pipelines are first off, very different things.
18:17   NeverAgain   The latter being one that scares me to my core, as it shows the incredible attack on the Native Communities of our nation.
18:17      --- Dereich is away (Auto away)
18:18   NeverAgain   The Keystone Pipeline (as does the Dakota Access Pipeline), for their dramatic and horrific impact on the environment.
18:18   NeverAgain   Some have stated that the benefits to our jobs, or our oil reserves make these atrocities worth it.
18:19   NeverAgain   But the jobs are minimal and would last a few months, and maybe weeks, while the destruction of our environment is permanent. I will continue the policies of Previous Administrations and block these pipelines.
18:19   NeverAgain   Thank you.
18:20   dfwlibertylover   since our moderator is uh occupied I'll just go now
18:20   NeverAgain   hehe
18:20      --- TedBessell is back
18:20      *** TedBessell quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
18:20   dfwlibertylover   I do not particularly like pipelines but I would certainly consider approving them, I do agree that we should respect the treaties we have signed with the native americans
18:21      *** TedBessell joined #debate
18:21      +++ ChanServ has given owner to TedBessell
18:21      +++ ChanServ has given op to TedBessell
18:21   TedBessell   crashed, sorry
18:21   dfwlibertylover   However, I have stated before that I would like to phase to clean and renewable energy because eventually our oil is going to run out and if we have not moved to energy we have by then we will be in very big trouble.

Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 09:31:13 PM »

21:24 NeverAgain Parks and Rec versus The Office is like choosing between your children. 21:24 *** AZ quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client) 21:24 *** AZ joined #debate 21:24 NeverAgain But, I think I have to go with home and say Parks and Rec.
18:24   NeverAgain   But, I think I have to go with home and say Parks and Rec.
18:24   NeverAgain   I love the Office, but Kevin.
18:24   NeverAgain   KEVIN!
18:24   NeverAgain   Anyways, thanks for the question.
18:24   dfwlibertylover   I am going to bypass this question and say Keeping Up with the Kardashians is always the best show
18:24   dfwlibertylover   thank you
18:25      *** davidb quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
18:25   TedBessell   Fact check!
18:25   TedBessell   The Kardashians suck/

18:25   NeverAgain   fake news.
18:25   TedBessell   Closing statements, please.
18:25   dfwlibertylover   you said fact check, not alternative facts Ted
18:26   NeverAgain   Anyways, I'll let DFW go first, because I stole it last time.

18:26   TedBessell   there is no alternative to these facts
18:26   dfwlibertylover   I would once again like to thank TedBessell for hosting this debate and Speaker NeverAgain for agreeing to it. I believe that with my lack of social life, I can be one of the most active Presidents Atlasia has ever had,
18:27   dfwlibertylover   my platform is firm but simple, a drawn back foreign policy (NO MORE NATION BUILDING), rebuild our infrastructure, restore regional rights, and ensure that our republic is saved for the generations to come.
18:27   dfwlibertylover   Thank you and God Bless Atlasia!
18:28   NeverAgain   I also want to thank Mr. TedBessell, and the Governor, along with all of the great questioneers for joining us on this Historic Occasion.
18:29   NeverAgain   In a time of historic wealth inequality, record unemployment, and families struggling to get ahead, we need leadership that is bold and will make the tough calls.
18:29   NeverAgain   I believe I have the experience, and the temperament to be the active, bold leader Atlasia needs for working families, and everyone.
18:29   NeverAgain   Thank you all.
18:30      *** diptheriadan quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
18:30   TedBessell   the first EVER irc debate has concluded
18:30   TedBessell   goodbye, everybody
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 09:33:05 PM »

I would say that this was a success -- for a debate hosted on a weeknight and announced on relatively short notice, we got all the #SouthernChat regulars in plus a handful of people who don't visit too often. Next time, we'll have the debate on a weekend, and announce it further from the actual date.
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 09:00:33 AM »

Nice format. Never seen it before
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length