Which poster would you select as your running mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:34:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which poster would you select as your running mate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which poster would you select as your running mate  (Read 1160 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:06:42 PM »
« edited: February 12, 2017, 11:09:14 PM by Old School Republican »

For me the choice would be easy : SunriseAroundTheWorld

The reasons are pretty simple:

1. We would not only have the business and economic  conservatives behind the ticket but also all the National Security Conservatives Behind this ticket as well(Imagine having Mitt Romney, John McCain as your main supporters)

2. Geographic Reasons (He would help bring Virginia back to the GOP fold and keep important states such as North Carolina and Florida in the GOP column as well)

3. Its seems like an Atlas forum version of Kasich/Rubio which by the way would have been an amazing ticket

4. He was one of the first buddies I had on this forum

If Goldwater wasnt from the same region as I it would be close between him and Sunrise .

who would you pick

RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:21:20 PM »

Uh, easily Virginia.

1) I'm a man, and I need demographic balance, and I don't know of any black people or latinos on here, and the left hungers for a woman in the Presidency/Vice Presidency anyways

2) From a crucial swing state that's worth a buttload of EVs

3) Balances my rural berniecrat populism with coastal liberalism Clintonite politics without being someone I find ideologically abhorrent

4) Would trust her to take over when/if I die more than some Corey Booker type

5) Would be extremely knowledgeable and a huge asset both during the run-up to the campaign and during governance

6) Unsure if she's a good speaker or not (she's clearly a good writer), but seems like a calm, adorably nerdy, physically attractive counterbalance to my obxnoxious, douchey, hotheaded, somewhat uncouth fire and brimstone that will encourage turnout and soften my image
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 11:38:57 PM »

Sjoyce. Dude knows literally 100x the amount of stuff I do. Would save my ticket from crashing and burning.

Virginia would be good too.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 12:15:36 AM »

As a white male who would probably be running as the boring establishment Dem, I'd try to pick someone from a different demographic, someone who is more charismatic and can keep a crowd excited, and is to my left politically. evergreen seems like a pretty good choice.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 12:50:47 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2017, 12:55:10 AM by Eharding »

TN Volunteer. Would give FANTASTIC advice on campaign strategy. Santander would be too similar to Pence, and I don't want Pence, though it's true his understanding of the electorate is also top-notch. ChairmanSanchez and Ljube seem more like liabilities than assets on the ticket. Old School Republican would be a solid pick, but is too ideologically confused. ExtremeRepublican would be too extreme and establishment. FamousMortimer would also be a good pick, and give the ticket some bipartisan street cred. Rfayette would also be good.

Jfern might be good for outreach, but would horrify the base.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 12:55:21 AM »

Virginia. An authentic yet pragmatic progressive who supported Hillary and is very knowledgeable about issue to balance out my radical and somewhat simplistic Bernie-esque tendencies. She'd also bring gender balance to the ticket, which is pretty important to me.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 01:07:26 AM »

As an LGBT Jewish person, I'd already add to the ticket the historical aspect some Democrats still covet. But as a moderate, I'd probably need someone who can excite the left and speak to the WWC. So L.D. Smith? Peebs or LLR might be good options as well, if bold.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 02:02:48 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2017, 02:10:31 AM by Fremont Assemblyman RFayette »

Tough choice, but my top picks would be DavidB (foreign policy cred, strong ally to Israel), TNVolunteer (great foreign policy views, staunch pro-lifer), Southern Gothic (help bridge gap with Trump wing), Santander (similar views, very close fit, and would be a bit of an "attack dog"), and Cashew (if I wanted more crossover appeal).  

ExtremeRepublican would also be good if my conservative credentials were in doubt amongst the base.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 02:29:16 AM »

Retromike would be the pick if I were in any other state, but since CA is where I'm at atm:

Jimmie would be best for hitting the Blue Dog crowd AND tackling the LGBT issue head on, but he might terrify the base.

Harry S. Truman would be a good inoffensive, but capable and still definitively liberal.

Tuerkisblau would be a decent pick for tackling the LGBT issue, and he'd be an excellent attack dog.

Derpist would be a perfect show of bipartisanship.

Virginia would be best for getting that middle ground between the Bernie wing and the Moderate wing while espousing more of the social justice ideas that I do not have.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 03:50:16 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2017, 03:51:51 AM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

Thanks for the shout out, Old School Republican Smiley

I'll post my short list (no real order)Sad
1. Old School Republican (for the reasons he outlined)
2. DavidB (should be pretty self-explanatory. We are very similar in views and world outlooks. He is more of a populist while I am not, so that would bring something different to the table.
3. RINO Tom (If I really wanted to push the establishment narrative and run a full ticket with pro-free trade policies, RINO Tom is the perfect fit.)
4. Heisenberg (brings a western candidate to the ticket and we are agreeable on most major issues)
5. RFayette (Social conservative, would help me immensely in evangelical circles and southern states)
6. Cathcon (Greek Life ticket, of course.)
7. ParrotGuy (like DavidB, this would be a good pick. Both of them are Joos and LGBT, like me, but ParrotGuy would really help me in the suburban areas that I really want to make up my key base of voters). Also, prob. one of the non-conservatives I'd consider.
8. Southern Gothic (Would bring good ideological balance to the ticket. Would help me win over some blue collar voters without isolating my suburban base.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 06:55:18 AM »

Peebs would provide gender, geographical, and political balance.

However, if I wanted to shore up the base, I'd go with xingkerui, since he's pretty far left and a solid candidate all around.

If I want to double down on a populist strategy, I'd go with SouthernGothic
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 07:24:30 AM »

1. LLR (Northern-Southern/Urban-Rural balance)
2. Virginia (Satisfy the mainstream wing of the Democratic Party)
3. Nathan (Ideological brethren, also a yankee which helps)
4. NeverAgain (I think I would have issues in suburban areas, which NA would help solve)
5. SATW (A bit like Gore choosing Lieberman, this will be a gamble)
6. Santander (For when I run a third-party Southern secessionist campaign)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 09:22:36 AM »

angus.

Lots of hard drinking and a good time on the campaign trail. 
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 09:44:24 AM »

As an LGBT Jewish person, I'd already add to the ticket the historical aspect some Democrats still covet. But as a moderate, I'd probably need someone who can excite the left and speak to the WWC. So L.D. Smith? Peebs or LLR might be good options as well, if bold.

Also, if I run an independent campaign (probably more realistic than winning the Democratic nomination as a moderate) then DevoutCentrist, RINO Tom and Sunrise would all be good for different issues (especially if the major parties nominate populists).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »

If I was running against someone to my left, Virginia.  If it was against someone to my right, RINO Tom.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 11:26:31 AM »

Considering my probable fire and brimstone campaign, the biased media would inevitably howl about authoritarianism, so I would need somebody calmer to highlight my pro civil liberties stances like Leinad or Goldwater.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 11:38:23 AM »

TN Volunteer. Would give FANTASTIC advice on campaign strategy. Santander would be too similar to Pence, and I don't want Pence, though it's true his understanding of the electorate is also top-notch. ChairmanSanchez and Ljube seem more like liabilities than assets on the ticket. Old School Republican would be a solid pick, but is too ideologically confused. ExtremeRepublican would be too extreme and establishment. FamousMortimer would also be a good pick, and give the ticket some bipartisan street cred. Rfayette would also be good.

Jfern might be good for outreach, but would horrify the base.

This might be the first time I have ever seen those words together, but it does make some sense, as while I am far-right, I am not a knee-jerk anti-establishment guy, as long as the establishment is conservative in the sense of Rubio and Walker and not moderate like Kasich and Jeb.

Anyway, RFayette seems like the obvious choice here.  It would be a coherent ticket, but he could "clarify" what I meant if I said something too controversial (like when I said that the Democratic Party is a domestic terrorist organization for killing babies).  Anyone pro-choice would be out of play for this ticket, but someone like SouthernGothic would make sense if I needed bipartisan appeal, or  Sunrise if I needed to sure up moderate conservatives.  YoungConservative would be an interesting pick as well, as would TNVolunteer if the national climate was more non-interventionalist and I needed to balance my more hawkish views.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 11:55:08 AM »

The first thing that I would consider would probably be geography. My weakest region would definitely be the South, so I'd probably pick a running mate from there. After that, I could see myself going with three different possibilities.

If I wanted a choice that would "balance" the ticket, I'd probably go with Virginia. She's from a key swing state that I could probably probably use a boost in, and she's a bit closer to the "establishment" than I am, which could make the ticket more palatable to moderates and centrist Democrats, and thus could solidify my support among Democrats as a whole. She would also probably be better at staying on message than I am, since I tend to ramble at times.

I could also see myself picking Peebs. It would be a bold choice, as picking a trans woman could energize progressives, and while very socially conservative voters probably wouldn't be happy, I doubt they would consider voting for me in the first place. She's also from a large swing state that I would normally struggle in.

If I wanted to double down on progressive populism, I'd go with RaphaelDLG. I might decide that I really want to sell the progressive "brand", and make sure that the Bernie wing of the Democratic Party would come out full force. He would also definitely be helpful in courting some of the more rural voters in flyover country.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 01:10:58 PM »

The first thing that I would consider would probably be geography. My weakest region would definitely be the South, so I'd probably pick a running mate from there. After that, I could see myself going with three different possibilities.

If I wanted a choice that would "balance" the ticket, I'd probably go with Virginia. She's from a key swing state that I could probably probably use a boost in, and she's a bit closer to the "establishment" than I am, which could make the ticket more palatable to moderates and centrist Democrats, and thus could solidify my support among Democrats as a whole. She would also probably be better at staying on message than I am, since I tend to ramble at times.

I could also see myself picking Peebs. It would be a bold choice, as picking a trans woman could energize progressives, and while very socially conservative voters probably wouldn't be happy, I doubt they would consider voting for me in the first place. She's also from a large swing state that I would normally struggle in.

If I wanted to double down on progressive populism, I'd go with RaphaelDLG. I might decide that I really want to sell the progressive "brand", and make sure that the Bernie wing of the Democratic Party would come out full force. He would also definitely be helpful in courting some of the more rural voters in flyover country.

that'd be an epic "two bubbas" "double-down" ticket a la Clinton/Gore 1992
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 01:12:27 PM »

Not sure.  Maybe MormDem would be fine since while we get along, he would provide balance being a more populist Democrat.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 01:51:44 PM »

I would have to find someone that kind of balances me out and appeals to parts of the base that I wouldn't, without being so drastically different from me that the ticket become incomprehensible. Someone from the east would also be helpful, for geographic balance.  Maybe Sunrise, if I run as a Republican, or Leinad, if I run as a Libertarian?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 02:09:42 PM »

Turkisblau seems to come on top in just about every category from swing state(s) to political insider to charismatic and opinionated to chill road buddy, but I'd rather be the goofy #2 on the ticket haha
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 05:49:55 PM »

Rfayette, Heisenberg, Southern Gothic, Eharding would probably be in the top 4. ER, Smilo, Sunrise, and a few others would all be decent choices as well.

I think I would go with Heisenberg in the end though, haha. We agree on basically everything.

Well, that ticket would do great in New Hampshire!
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »

BRTD would clog up the airwaves and social media with so much irrelevant spam that nobody would even know my opponent's name. I'm going with him for that reason.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 07:13:37 PM »

Eharding.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies