Opinion of Emmanuel Macron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:24:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Emmanuel Macron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: skip
Massive FF(genius, normal)

FF

Lean FF

Neutral/Mixed

Lean HP

HP

Massive HP(idiot, troll)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Opinion of Emmanuel Macron  (Read 2302 times)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2017, 04:23:31 AM »

He is, strictly speaking, a centrist. "Moderate hero" is a term used to delegitimize and derogate centrism as an ideology in general. The left and the right have both commonly feared centrism because of its widespread appeal and the fact that it works. Macron supports repeal of actual red tape, and Democrats fear that. Democrats love regulation because it helps their big business donors, while hurting small business. This propaganda has been spread by the left wing talking heads. The left and right also fear centrism because they don't understand the ability to get both sides of an issue. You've heard the expression "Economics is not a zero sum game." This applies to economic theory - in theory, both left wing and right wing economics could work given enough time and intelligent administration of it. The idea of centrism is combining a reduction of regulations with Keynesian economics, staunch support for balanced budgets, and general issue-by-issue dissection. This is too complicated for a lot of people, so it gets called neoliberalism, corporatism, and a variety of other names.

I think it is pretty impressive that in 2016, after decades of the low tax-austerity-low regulation economic policies, that you can say that with a straight face.

The reason that regulations exist is because the free market has time and time again proved that is is not capable of regulating itself. Consumers don't have perfect knowledge, not all parties to a contract are equal, businesses act in their own short terms interests.

In the same way, the reason we have high government spending is because the free market is not able to allocate resources effectively in a huge number of ways. It tends to excessive inequality, and is a terrible way to run natural monopolies.

A balanced budget is neither necessary, nor is it even good economics in most cases (certainly not in the case of a stagnant economy like France).

Macron is peddling snake oil when he tells the French that deregulation, tax cuts and "liberalisation" is the magic solution to all of their economic woes.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2017, 09:48:07 AM »

He is, strictly speaking, a centrist. "Moderate hero" is a term used to delegitimize and derogate centrism as an ideology in general. The left and the right have both commonly feared centrism because of its widespread appeal and the fact that it works. Macron supports repeal of actual red tape, and Democrats fear that. Democrats love regulation because it helps their big business donors, while hurting small business. This propaganda has been spread by the left wing talking heads. The left and right also fear centrism because they don't understand the ability to get both sides of an issue. You've heard the expression "Economics is not a zero sum game." This applies to economic theory - in theory, both left wing and right wing economics could work given enough time and intelligent administration of it. The idea of centrism is combining a reduction of regulations with Keynesian economics, staunch support for balanced budgets, and general issue-by-issue dissection. This is too complicated for a lot of people, so it gets called neoliberalism, corporatism, and a variety of other names.

I think it is pretty impressive that in 2016, after decades of the low tax-austerity-low regulation economic policies, that you can say that with a straight face.

The reason that regulations exist is because the free market has time and time again proved that is is not capable of regulating itself. Consumers don't have perfect knowledge, not all parties to a contract are equal, businesses act in their own short terms interests.

In the same way, the reason we have high government spending is because the free market is not able to allocate resources effectively in a huge number of ways. It tends to excessive inequality, and is a terrible way to run natural monopolies.

A balanced budget is neither necessary, nor is it even good economics in most cases (certainly not in the case of a stagnant economy like France).

Macron is peddling snake oil when he tells the French that deregulation, tax cuts and "liberalisation" is the magic solution to all of their economic woes.

If that's the case then people should attack him for that instead of the ageist garbage I've seen.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2017, 11:19:15 AM »

Macron is an amusingly blatant charlatan and snake oil salesman and it is absolutely hilarious that right now is the front-runner. He is so, of course, because all of the other candidates are appalling and/or unpopular: his support is thus purely negative and so he could win this at a canter or disappear in a puff of smoke...
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2017, 01:48:09 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2017, 01:54:48 PM by Make Pepe Apolitical Again »

If the "ageist garbage" accusation is directed at me, then there's obviously nothing wrong with being thirty-nine and I don't think anybody, anywhere in our society, would seriously claim that there is; I just think it's insulting that godawful let's-double-down-on-the-last-thirty-years candidates can coast on being young and something approaching conventionally attractive. I've said before that if the substance of Macron's candidacy were in any way revolutionary or transformational then I would get the appeal.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »

Austerity, the lowering of spending and increasing of taxes, works during good economic times. That is basic Keynesianism. Constant austerity obviously doesn't work, which is why your rebuttal misses the entire thrust of my post. It's like you read every other word in my post and then tried to decide it.

I understand English is not your first language, so I do not intend to derogate/attack you for your mistake. I apologize for any perceived overreaction on my part towards you.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2017, 05:09:59 PM »

Austerity, the lowering of spending and increasing of taxes, works during good economic times. That is basic Keynesianism. Constant austerity obviously doesn't work, which is why your rebuttal misses the entire thrust of my post. It's like you read every other word in my post and then tried to decide it.

I was largely responding to the point about "cutting red tape" as if it is some miracle cure. We have had decades of self professed Centrist politicias arguing that the best way to have growth was to deregulate and increase the role of the private sector in the economy, and despite what it led to, it is still touted as the only for of good economic management.

Ok yes, your post does say that both right and left wing economics can work, but the policies Macron seems to be suggesting are very much right wing in nature. Likewise, the implication of your post was very much that a balances budget should be an objective of economic policy, rather than a tool to use in certain economic conditions.

France is also not currently experiencing good economic times, something that spending cuts have exacerbated

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well that's me owned, better get back on duolingo then.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2017, 11:26:56 PM »

Macron is an amusingly blatant charlatan and snake oil salesman and it is absolutely hilarious that right now is the front-runner. He is so, of course, because all of the other candidates are appalling and/or unpopular: his support is thus purely negative and so he could win this at a canter or disappear in a puff of smoke...

I suppose that means that if he does win he basically ends up with a similar trajectory to Hollande...or where Trump seems to be headed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies