Democrats/Dem leaners who live in California are throwing away their vote.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:03:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Democrats/Dem leaners who live in California are throwing away their vote.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Democrats/Dem leaners who live in California are throwing away their vote.  (Read 897 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:58:17 AM »

I am sick and tired of California. Clinton won California by 4.25 million votes. If just 19% of those people moved to Texas, she would have won the EC and the election. If just 5% of those people moved to Arizona and Florida, she would have won the EC and the election. If just 2% of those people moved to Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, she would have won the EC and the election. But no. Where do they live instead? California.

California is objectively a terrible place to live. It's a terrible place to live if you're anyone with middle or lower income. It's a terrible place to live if you're Hispanic. It's a terrible place to live for anyone who dislikes income inequality. The homeless problem is disgusting. You guys let yourselves get trolled by Milo. Your infrastructure sucks. You have the highest tax rate in the whole country. You have the highest gas prices in the lower 48. You have the worst traffic. Your budget deficit is back. In conclusion, I feel sorry for people who live in this terrible, terrible state.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »

A more constructive use of your time is to start a Free State Project for liberals wanting to move out of California, with Texas as the state of choice. 
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 11:12:57 AM »

lol
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 11:13:12 AM »

Thankfully, most people don't think about where they are going to work, have free time and potentially raise a family based on stupid shlt like this.  For example, I will probably try to make a move to Chicago in the next year.  I love the city, would LOVE being able to go to so many Cubs games, have family relatively close ... and I could not care less how the precinct I'd live in votes.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 11:39:09 AM »

3/10 you can do better
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 11:56:01 AM »

What a ridiculous thread.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 12:06:27 PM »

The logical extension of the Electoral College will be political parties ordering their supporters to move all over the country to maximise their gains.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 12:11:18 PM »

California is objectively a terrible place to live.

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »

A more constructive use of your time is to start a Free State Project for liberals wanting to move out of California, with Texas as the state of choice. 

Texas would be a terrible choice for that. It would take a lot to flip it, and at the end of the day it's just two Senate seats. I would go with Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, North Carolina, Georgia, New Hampshire, and Maine if I wanted to organize a project like that.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 12:36:44 PM »

Oh f**k off you self righteous bastard
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 12:40:51 PM »

Lol are you serious? Let ne tell you a secret... Most people don't devote their lives to the victory of a political party. And they don't have the money to move, or will to move away from friends, family, work etc etc etc.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 12:41:18 PM »

Texas would be a terrible choice for that. It would take a lot to flip it, and at the end of the day it's just two Senate seats. I would go with Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, North Carolina, Georgia, New Hampshire, and Maine if I wanted to organize a project like that.

It takes a lot to flip Texas, but given it's one of four states with the greatest number of electoral votes and congressional districts and with our winner-take-all system it's worth it.  It is trending towards Democrats over the long term anyway.  I see no harm in accelerating the process a bit.    
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 01:06:46 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 01:43:54 PM »

Wait, does Beet's avatar imply that he lives in DC?  Isn't he throwing his own vote away then?

The logical extension of the Electoral College will be political parties ordering their supporters to move all over the country to maximise their gains.

The strategy makes most sense if you live in different states in census years than you do in presidential election years.  E.g., have Democratic supporters live in heavily Democratic states like CA, NY, and MA during a census year, so that those states end up getting lots of electoral votes.  But then farm out many of those voters to swing states for the presidential election year.  That way the Dems who remain behind in California and New York still get the full electoral power granted to them by their neighbors who've now left the state.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 01:45:05 PM »

California's presidential primaries are always dead last, too. So if you're someone like jfern who cares more about primaries, you're still screwed over. Have I mentioned you guys are due for a big earthquake?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »

LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 03:55:16 PM »

You have "Brianna Wu 2018" in your signature. You're not allowed to call anyone else's lives terrible or talk about anyone throwing away their vote.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 03:59:30 PM »

Lmao this is hilarious, but this is the truth:

Lol are you serious? Let me tell you a secret... Most people don't devote their lives to the victory of a political party. And they don't have the money to move, or will to move away from friends, family, work etc etc etc.

What Democrats should do instead is focus on turning Boise, Cheyenne, Missoula, and perhaps even Anchorage into thriving cities with jobs to naturally attract people from the West Coast, and since urban folks naturally skew more liberal as a whole, this is a better plan of action for a more efficient spread of Democratic voters.

This is obviously easier said than done, but frankly it's far more feasible than any overt relocation program.

If that happens, Republicans might as well start a project that sends Republican voters from VA, MD, NY to TX and FL.

Um, this kind of already happens. You ever heard of retirees?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »

What's funny is that Beet seems to be implying or admitting(?) that Democratic policies totally fail a state. But he wants the same people who "destroyed" California to move to red states and do the same to them. So yeah, the only thing he cares about is power and winning elections, in which case it is appropriate to say...

California government is constrained by a lot of absurd propositions from the Reagan years. On the other hand the environmental lobby is too strong and allows no construction. These are issues I am not particularly partisan about.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 04:32:38 PM »

You should move to North Carolina Korea, Beet.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »

What's funny is that Beet seems to be implying or admitting(?) that Democratic policies totally fail a state. But he wants the same people who "destroyed" California to move to red states and do the same to them. So yeah, the only thing he cares about is power and winning elections, in which case it is appropriate to say...

California government is constrained by a lot of absurd propositions from the Reagan years. On the other hand the environmental lobby is too strong and allows no construction. These are issues I am not particularly partisan about.

We like our air clean kiddo.

We don't have our mountain tops being blown to bits, or what water we do get horribly polluted because of fracking.

As for most of the problems, a simple Prop 13 ditch would fix most of 'em.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 06:29:43 PM »

Beet, your avatar suggests that you live in DC. If that's so, rofl.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 06:39:25 PM »

California's presidential primaries are always dead last, too. So if you're someone like jfern who cares more about primaries, you're still screwed over. Have I mentioned you guys are due for a big earthquake?
You live in DC, mate. Nuff said.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 07:35:20 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length