Canada's early history
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:53:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Canada's early history
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada's early history  (Read 1651 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2017, 06:40:22 PM »

Does anyone know the story of Canada?  Did it ever seek independence from Great Britain?  I know hardly anything at all about it.

Was there a left and a right in the Canada of the late 1800s?  I know it became a country somewhere around 1867, right?
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Canada
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 08:01:02 PM »

I think it officially became independent in the 1980's, but it was de facto independent for much of the 20th century, so it didn't actually result in much of a change.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:37:37 PM »

I think it officially became independent in the 1980's, but it was de facto independent for much of the 20th century, so it didn't actually result in much of a change.

Canada had its own Constitution enacted in 1982 but we have been independent since 1867, though it wasn't until after Word War I that Canada had a separate foreign policy from Great Britain if not the Commonwealth.  When Great Britain declared war on Germany in 1914, Canada was officially also entered.

Canada's Head of State is still the Queen, so, in that sense, I suppose Canada is de jure still not completely independent.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2017, 09:52:25 PM by Adam T »

Does anyone know the story of Canada?  Did it ever seek independence from Great Britain?  I know hardly anything at all about it.

Was there a left and a right in the Canada of the late 1800s?  I know it became a country somewhere around 1867, right?

Canada became a (mostly independent) nation in 1867 as a result of the end of the U.S Civil War when many Canadians feared that the United States would try and invade Canada to make it part of the United States.

Canada originally had just four provinces: Quebec and Ontario (I believe one of these was previously known as Upper Canada and the other was known as Lower Canada) along with New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, however most of the other provinces agreed to join Canada shortly after in exchange for a national rail line that would connect the country.  I believe the settlement in the United States into the Northern west and Pacific North West was also going on around this time.

Like the United States at this time, the federal government didn't necessarily do a lot except for infrastructure (like the railroad)/promoting economic development through natural resource extraction/promotion of immigration and law enforcement.  The infrastructure was financed through a high tariff policy that was fully implement in 1879 by the Conservative Government of Sir John A MacDonald.  This was known as the National Policy.  After this policy, for most of the next 100 years, the Liberal Party was the Pro-free trade party and the Conservative Party was the pro-tariff party.

What is less known, however, is that Sir John A MacDonald only implemented the National Policy after the United States rebuffed the previous Liberal Party government's efforts to negotiate a free trade agreement, which he supported.

English/French relations was always a major issue for the government and this became a partisan issue from 1886 when Sir John A MacDonald refused to commute the death sentence of the Manitoba Francophone Metis rebellion leader Louis Riel.  After that, the Liberal Party became the dominant party in Quebec and, after winning the election in 1896, the Liberal Party became the dominant party in Canada until 1984.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 06:07:30 AM »

Does anyone know the story of Canada?  Did it ever seek independence from Great Britain?  I know hardly anything at all about it.

There were a couple failed rebellions in the 1830's, but they were pretty well doomed from the start. Not like the American Revolution at all.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 08:08:55 PM »

There were a couple failed rebellions in the 1830's, but they were pretty well doomed from the start. Not like the American Revolution at all.

Canada's national ethos is Order, while the US national ethos is Liberty. Those different attitudes played a pretty big role as well when it came to any rebellion against the mother country. Canada was much more cautious and fearful of change when it came to the idea of throwing off British rule and going their own way.

The US threw caution to the wind and took a big gamble, as they felt that the potential Liberty gained would be worth the sacrifices.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 03:16:44 AM »

I had an ancestor who was part of the French Canadian side of things in those rebellions. Specifically, he was a commander of a small force, lost, tried to flee to the US with his brothers and young family. Brothers and family got away, he didn't. He was hanged by the neck until dead for his troubles.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 12:29:49 AM »

Canada's national ethos is Order, while the US national ethos is Liberty. Those different attitudes played a pretty big role as well when it came to any rebellion against the mother country. Canada was much more cautious and fearful of change when it came to the idea of throwing off British rule and going their own way.

The US threw caution to the wind and took a big gamble, as they felt that the potential Liberty gained would be worth the sacrifices.

Peace, Order and Good Government.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »

Does anyone know the story of Canada?  Did it ever seek independence from Great Britain?  I know hardly anything at all about it.

Was there a left and a right in the Canada of the late 1800s?  I know it became a country somewhere around 1867, right?

Canada became a (mostly independent) nation in 1867 as a result of the end of the U.S Civil War when many Canadians feared that the United States would try and invade Canada to make it part of the United States.

Really ? I'd be interested to hear about what their thinking was.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 08:16:40 PM »

There was also an element of public opinion that wanted annexation.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 09:21:52 PM »

Really it's silly that Canada is not a part of the United States.  What's the point?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 12:28:37 PM »

Really it's silly that Canada is not a part of the United States.  What's the point?

Have you seen who your President is?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 12:31:11 AM »

If Canada were part of the United States, most likely the U.S President right now would be Hillary Clinton.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 12:58:43 AM »

If Canada were part of the United States, most likely the U.S President right now would be Hillary Clinton.
Nope. If all Canadian provinces were States, together they'd have 68 EVs, so Trump still wins 306-300 assuming Hillary wins all ten Canadian States and no faithless electors.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies