Write-In Campaign: Let's Keep North in the North!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:59:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Write-In Campaign: Let's Keep North in the North!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Write-In Campaign: Let's Keep North in the North!  (Read 464 times)
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: 0.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2017, 02:09:26 AM »
« edited: February 14, 2017, 02:59:54 AM by vote for pedro »

Northern Voters and Citizens. This Weekend we will vote on an amendment to rename the North.

You will be presented with the names of two politicians and "Atlantic Union" as your only options.  If those are the only choices, I prefer to keep the name "North."
There is only one name that can keep the North's rightful place on the Map: That name is North!

Please join me this weekend by writing in "Northern Region" on your ballot.  Thank you, Pedro.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 02:20:13 AM »

There is no write-in option on the ballot.  Ideas were already submitted for the Assembly to consider, and they narrowed them down to three.

Also, you submitted like ten different names, so why are you objecting to this now? Huh
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 02:36:32 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2017, 02:41:05 AM by cinyc »

There is no write-in option on the ballot.  Ideas were already submitted for the Assembly to consider, and they narrowed them down to three.

Also, you submitted like ten different names, so why are you objecting to this now? Huh

I don't care whether there is a technical write-in option on the ballot.  Unless I'm missing something (and I admit that I haven't been following affairs in fantasyland as close as I used to), we the voters of the North were NEVER given the opportunity to keep the name North under this possibly unconstitutional process.  That was explicitly denied by the underlying law.  It was a changed name or nothing.  Instead of being given the choice to keep or change the name, we're now given a choice between 3 names.

The North's constitution needs to be amended if we are to change the name.  And constitutional amendments are supposed to be Yes/No affairs to change or not change the status quo, not a choice between 3 changes to the status quo.

For these reasons, I will absolutely be writing in "Northern Region" on the ballot - and implore my fellow residents of the North to do the same.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 04:04:08 AM »

It's ridiculous how no one suggested "North," and how there's no write-in option, although I do think a more interesting name is better than a compass direction. Tongue
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 04:31:29 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2017, 04:40:29 AM by vote for pedro »

There should have been a separate poll or vote to determine the public's favorite alternative name.  Then a ballot measure "Do you support changing the region's name to (public favorite)?" yes or no.

Right now it is "The government has decided that you will change your name.  Choose one of these 3 government approved choices.  Keeping your name is not an option.  Write ins are not allowed."

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 05:04:50 AM »

It's ridiculous how no one suggested "North," and how there's no write-in option, although I do think a more interesting name is better than a compass direction. Tongue

A write in option would have just lead everyone to suggest their own name tbh
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »

A write in option would have just lead everyone to suggest their own name tbh

But the miracle of IRV would've made it where you still would've had a winner Tongue
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 08:41:38 AM »

I mean calling it the North when you can you live in Southern Illinois (which is further south than parts of Kentucky/Maryland/Virginia) still baffles me- the old name, the Northeast at least made sense.

If we keep the North as the name I'll be moving to call Fremont the Pacific, since I do it anyway and it's stupid to have two location names and one cool name
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 09:30:52 AM »

This process went on for almost a month. Dozens of names were suggested. The Assembly debated the names without much of an outcry. Why the outrage 72 hours before the election starts?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »

Why the outrage 72 hours before the election starts?

This quote sums up Atlasia!
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 04:53:41 PM »

Is the write-in "North" or "northern region".
I will write both first and second preference just to be sure.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »

I've been outraged since it was decided the name would be changed.
suums up Atlasia also that a clique in power find ways to reverse decisions they didn't like at the regional convention.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 05:21:03 PM »

The North constitution on the wiki says:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So if the referendum and amendments on the ballot February 17 fall in the category above, the process was not followed. The name change was February 6 so should have taken place Friday the 10.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 05:24:54 PM »

I've been outraged since it was decided the name would be changed.
sums up Atlasia also that a clique in power find ways to reverse decisions they didn't like at the regional convention.

That "clique" in power literally included citizens of the region who aren't in power. You know that, right? You know that the "outrage" of the few doesn't outweigh the contributions of the many, right? Because that's not how democracy works?

The North constitution on the wiki says:

So if the referendum and amendments on the ballot February 17 fall in the category above, the process was not followed. The name change was February 6 so should have taken place Friday the 10.

As Lt. Governor, I decided to delay the ballot referendums (name change + two constitutional amendments) until this week because I didn't want to have three voting booths open at once. I'm sure it has caused literally no one any inconvenience to wait an extra week to vote on this referendum.
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 06:05:58 PM »

Is the write-in "North" or "northern region".
I will write both first and second preference just to be sure.

According to the Constitution of the Northern Region, we are the "People of the Northern Region."
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »

As Lt. Governor, I decided to delay the ballot referendums (name change + two constitutional amendments) until this week because I didn't want to have three voting booths open at once. I'm sure it has caused literally no one any inconvenience to wait an extra week to vote on this referendum.

So we only follow the Constitution of the Northern Region when it is convenient?

I guess the People of the Northern Region are lucky to have a constitution at all.  The future residents of Franklin, or Lincoln, or Atlantic Union may not be so lucky.  What is to prevent our incoming government from declaring the constitution no longer applies since there is no more Northern Region?

Of course our Constitution can be amended.  There is a process for it, but the process must be followed.

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 06:35:45 PM »

At a Federal constitutional level, I believe that there would have to be a change to the Federal Constitution to change the official name of the region. According to the constitution, the name of Fremont is still the "Western Region".

Although Article II, Section I states:

Also, as per the Northern Constitution:
This implies to me that there should be some sort of "against change option"; although strictly speaking there should be a Yes-No referendum on all issues.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 06:52:10 PM »

So I guess it's not so much renaming the region as it is giving it a nickname?  Either way, this is a really silly thing to get up in arms about.

Don't you people realize there's fluoride in our water that's turning frogs gay?  Bet you didn't think about that.  You only think of yourself.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »

So I guess it's not so much renaming the region as it is giving it a nickname?  Either way, this is a really silly thing to get up in arms about.

Don't you people realize there's fluoride in our water that's turning frogs gay?  Bet you didn't think about that.  You only think of yourself.

Atlasia is a really silly thing to get up in arms about. But it's a game that is supposed to reflect the real world.  You don't think there would be an uproar if the legislature decided to change the name of, say Pennsylvania, to something else, with no option to keep the name as is?
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 08:10:24 PM »

Thank you, Your Highness.

Is that how you feel about all your subjects, or just the ones who dare speak out when the government ignores the constitution?  I'm offended you didn't include a tinfoil hat insult, btw. Tongue

I'll go back to minding my own business.  I'm sure you guys will think about following the constitution if something important comes up. Cool

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 11:30:34 PM »

The law is very clear on when to put referendums and amendments to voters. It's not subjective.

People have spent weeks and months working on a constitution and we discard it when it's not convenient or change it like the name because it's boring apparently. We might as well add to the ballot a change to the schedule for amendments.

Maybe it's like it,s been done before, time the vote when there is higher turnout to advantage a favorite outcome.
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 08:59:12 AM »

Undecided on this matter, but the name "North" is perfect! But that doesn't mean that I fully prefer changing it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies