CO-Gov
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:09:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CO-Gov
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: CO-Gov  (Read 4251 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 08:40:55 AM »

What positions did Mike Johnson change?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 09:46:54 PM »

For some reason, Colorado makes me the saddest of states moving away from Republicans.  I want the GOP to absolutely own the Mountain West, which is an absolutely awesome region that manages to carry its conservatism in a very classy way.

The Colorado that voted for Bob Dole is long gone, unfortunately.
Sad. Many children of those Dole voters are liberals. And remember, Dole's win wasn't even that impressive, his margin of victory was smaller than Nader's performance.

I like the fact that Colorado votes for my party so I can't blame Republicans for wanting that too.

Anyway, the gubernatorial election should be competitive, right?

With Trump poisoning the GOP brand, maybe not.

I think Colorado Republicans should absolutely start to portray Rocky Mountain Republicans as "different" in the same way that WV Democrats or MA Republicans do.
That's not a bad idea. They could be more socially moderate, and more sportsman/outdoors oriented. It works pretty well for WV Democrats, and MA Republicans (in governor elections).

Yeah, I have never understood why this isn't much more associated with conservatism ... the rugged outdoorsmen who is self-reliant and weary of government seems like the epitome of Western conservatism ... really a shame that hippies came to be associated with environmentalism and conservation.

Kind of hard to be the party of outdoorsmen when you're the party whose first move this year was to let coal companies pollute rivers.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 11:47:44 PM »

For some reason, Colorado makes me the saddest of states moving away from Republicans.  I want the GOP to absolutely own the Mountain West, which is an absolutely awesome region that manages to carry its conservatism in a very classy way.

The Colorado that voted for Bob Dole is long gone, unfortunately.
Sad. Many children of those Dole voters are liberals. And remember, Dole's win wasn't even that impressive, his margin of victory was smaller than Nader's performance.

I like the fact that Colorado votes for my party so I can't blame Republicans for wanting that too.

Anyway, the gubernatorial election should be competitive, right?

With Trump poisoning the GOP brand, maybe not.

I think Colorado Republicans should absolutely start to portray Rocky Mountain Republicans as "different" in the same way that WV Democrats or MA Republicans do.
That's not a bad idea. They could be more socially moderate, and more sportsman/outdoors oriented. It works pretty well for WV Democrats, and MA Republicans (in governor elections).

Yeah, I have never understood why this isn't much more associated with conservatism ... the rugged outdoorsmen who is self-reliant and weary of government seems like the epitome of Western conservatism ... really a shame that hippies came to be associated with environmentalism and conservation.

Kind of hard to be the party of outdoorsmen when you're the party whose first move this year was to let coal companies pollute rivers.

^came here to post this.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 05:36:29 PM »

Perlmutter in
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 05:39:04 PM »

Guessing he's a top recruit?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 05:49:49 PM »

The Democrats would be favored anyway, but from what I've heard Perlmutter is a strong candidate, yeah.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2017, 06:19:23 PM »

From what I have heard of him might as well swear him in now
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2017, 06:23:36 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 06:40:36 PM by bronz4141 »

CO-GOV 2018 is Lean R.

Why, after twelve years of Democratic gubernatorial rule, it should elect a Republican in 2018 despite it being a Trump-Pence midterm election year.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »

care to expand on that?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »

This race is very important to watch as it's one of the only chances Democrats have to control redistricting outright in a swing state.  They also need to net one state senate seat, but there are several Obama/Clinton seats in that body won by Republicans when they were up in the 2010 and 2014 waves.  The lower house is basically Safe D on the current map as their majority survived 2014 with a seat to spare.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2017, 06:42:07 PM »

After twelve years of Democratic gubernatorial rule, Colorado should go Republican in 2018 despite it being a Trump midterm election. We'll see. The Democrats should take Florida back after 20 years. We'll see.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2017, 07:07:32 PM »

After twelve years of Democratic gubernatorial rule, Colorado should go Republican in 2018 despite it being a Trump midterm election. We'll see. The Democrats should take Florida back after 20 years. We'll see.

That's not how it works in statewide elections--take FL that you just referenced, for instance.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2017, 08:16:16 AM »

Unless the Democrats nominate a colossally bad candidate, Colorado, a lean-blue state is not going to elect a Republican governor during a Donald Trump midterm.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »

The top recruit. Unless John Elway magically decides not to be a Republican anymore and decides to run for office finally, there's nobody better then Perlmutter
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »

The top recruit. Unless John Elway magically decides not to be a Republican anymore and decides to run for office finally, there's nobody better then Perlmutter

Good news for CO.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2017, 04:36:36 PM »

There's a lot of rhyming potential with "Perlmutter"...
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »

Perlmutter, Uhh can we get somebody younger? If there is one thing I applaud republicans for is electing young candidates. The Democrats struggle to find people under 60. That the main reason there's no bench.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2017, 02:29:14 AM »

Perlmutter, Uhh can we get somebody younger? If there is one thing I applaud republicans for is electing young candidates. The Democrats struggle to find people under 60. That the main reason there's no bench.

There is a bench in Colorado, it's just you're not going to get anyone better than Perlmutter so he'll more likely than not clear he field. It is what it is.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2017, 09:33:02 AM »

Perlmutter has co-sponsored John Conyers' Medicare-for-All bill. Hopefully he makes that an issue during the campaign.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2017, 10:16:19 AM »

Hmm, considering how resoundingly the single-payer referendum was defeated in 2016, could this hurt him?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2017, 10:29:41 AM »

If he's running for Governor at 63 after spending 12 years in the House, he likely views this as a capstone to his career as an elected official. Don't worry about running young people for Governor, find someone young to replace him in the House, and someone young to replace whoever that is in the State Legislature. (If his Congressional replacement comes from there.)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »

Hmm, considering how resoundingly the single-payer referendum was defeated in 2016, could this hurt him?

IIRC that was a problem with that specific proposal rather than single payer in general.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2017, 10:56:50 AM »

Rep. Jared Polis (D) is thinking about running for Governor.

http://coloradopolitics.com/exclusive-jared-polis-thinking-governor/
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2017, 05:29:48 PM »

If John Elway runs, it's over for the Colorado Democratic Party. Elway is like a God in Colo.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »

If John Elway runs, it's over for the Colorado Democratic Party. Elway is like a God in Colo.

Unlikely. He has declined the opportunity in much more favorable climates.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies