TN Considering bill giving immunity to anyone who hits protesters with a car (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:15:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  TN Considering bill giving immunity to anyone who hits protesters with a car (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TN Considering bill giving immunity to anyone who hits protesters with a car  (Read 1740 times)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« on: February 14, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »

There would be some legal challenges to this. What if someone died? That would be vehicular manslaughter I believe.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:11:45 PM »

Have they thought about what happens if they ran over BLM protestors would it be hate crime? What about a potential terrorist attack like Nice or any other mass murder. Does protection differer between premeditated and involuntary? They would have to immediately remove the law after the first case.

Yes, the bill actually says that you have to make your best effort not to hit them.

Of course this detail gets overlooked. If this is just to immunize drivers when someone else jumps in front of their car and causes an accident, I don't think this is a problem. Generally the rule for liability is that a driver is pretty much always liable to a pedestrian even if the pedestrian fails to use a cross walk or wait for the green light. If I am doing everything in my power to carefully inch along a busy road (which I have a right to do), and some chucklehead interposes himself in front of my car so as to cause unavoidable contact, I should not be liable for his douchebaggery just because I am the one driving. I find the whole "He hit my fist with his face" argument to be tiresome. But clearly this wouldn't let someone get away with flooring the gas and running over 15 protestors because of annoyance; this is basically just amplifying the rules so that there is more focus on the mental state of the driver rather than just assuming car bad person good. Consciously deciding to run over someone (including protesters) is still going to be a crime

Thanks for clarifying this. That definitely makes it better.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies