What's your accent?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 12:23:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's your accent?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: What's your accent?  (Read 14351 times)
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2021, 10:41:20 AM »

Over the years that I've taken and retaken this quiz my accent has gradually shifted north, from Baltimore/DC/Hampton Roads to Philly/South Jersey to NYC/Westchester/North Jersey. I guess that makes me a fairly generic Mid-Atlantic/Northeasterner.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2021, 10:58:29 AM »

A fairly weak but distinct Indian accent
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2021, 11:05:50 AM »

I got Greensboro/Winston-Salem/Columbus, GA. I have never lived in any of those places. Least similar was Grand Rapids/Detroit/Buffalo.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2021, 11:13:50 AM »

The test does two different things, your accent and your vocabulary.  How I pronounce words is most influenced by those who taught me how to talk (Iowa parents) my vocabulary is most influenced by where I live (New Orleans) so I invariably get two different nodes on this test--upper midwest and New Orleans.

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2021, 11:14:23 AM »

Still this. Basically Standard "NPR English." I'm happily generic.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2021, 01:51:12 PM »

The New York Times also has a quiz for British accents:

I guess those results are probably indicative of my generic middle class Southeastern accent - basically the “default” accent you hear on the TV, but not quite as posh as full-on Received Pronunciation.
Catalyst138
United States

« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2021, 02:13:40 PM »

I got Boston/Jersey City/Yonkers which I guess is pretty accurate for CT.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2021, 02:49:33 PM »

Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2021, 03:43:19 PM »

Most similar: New York, Jersey City, Yonkers
Least similar: Des Moines, Akron, Omaha

There is very little red on the map, which is extremely unsurprising since I am not a native speaker, I have never lived in an English-speaking country, and I usually try to follow British English.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2021, 04:15:36 PM »

There is very little red on the map, which is extremely unsurprising since I am not a native speaker, I have never lived in an English-speaking country, and I usually try to follow British English.

I like how the redder areas tend to have more Italian Americans.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2021, 04:19:07 PM »

I... don't think there's a particular correlation? Hawaii and San Jose are not exactly famous for Italian Americans, while places such as Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago are in blue.
On the other hand, the Ohio/Mississippi rivers form a very visible demarcation, and I am not sure why.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2021, 04:22:51 PM »

Kuumo

P P
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2021, 04:28:47 PM »

I... don't think there's a particular correlation? Hawaii and San Jose are not exactly famous for Italian Americans, while places such as Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago are in blue.
On the other hand, the Ohio/Mississippi rivers form a very visible demarcation, and I am not sure why.

It's almost certainly just a funny coincidence since most Italian Americans today don't speak any Italian. You can see that Minnesota and the Dakotas aren't super dark red on Astatine's map even though they have the most German Americans.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2021, 04:32:55 PM »

Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2021, 04:33:19 PM »

It's almost certainly just a funny coincidence since most Italian Americans today don't speak any Italian. You can see that Minnesota and the Dakotas aren't super dark red on Astatine's map even though they have the most German Americans.

The stronger correlation in my map seems to be with coastal elitism lmao. I think I will try the British quiz later, by the way.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2021, 04:37:34 PM »

I guess those results are probably indicative of my generic middle class Southeastern accent - basically the “default” accent you hear on the TV, but not quite as posh as full-on Received Pronunciation.

Oh interesting, I always get Yonkers/New York on the US quiz because my English is much closer to British English. I figure I speak with basically a generic-but-not-really-placeable South of England accent/dialect when I speak English, but when I did the test I got:

Way off. Your answers didnt fit here at all.

Which is closest to... what, the South of the Midlands? I guess that's closest to generic Southern with the odd northern/Scottish or mid-atlantic influence.

So I'll go with the original answer. When I speak English, I sound as if I come from the South of England, but with a generic and untraceable accent; When I speak French, I have a mild Swiss, or specifically Geneva accent; and when I speak German, I have a pretty thick French accent. It's only the last one that is really obvious though.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2021, 04:45:48 PM »

`
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2021, 04:46:53 PM »

The British-Irish quiz matched me to London, Bath, and Killarney, and more broadly the West Midlands and Munster, while noting that I didn't really speak like anyone in the British Isles. Fitting since I've never been there.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2021, 04:48:33 PM »

The most similar cities were San Antonio, Irving, and Fort Worth because I lived in Texas in my younger years. The least similar cities were Philadelphia, Worcester, and Providence. I can attest that people with a strong Boston accent are the hardest Americans for me to understand, and this map illustrates that.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2021, 04:50:08 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2021, 05:40:22 PM by Torrain »

Oh. Wow.

Thought I had a much milder accent than this...

Edit: fixed broken link

Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2021, 05:33:48 PM »

According to the British one a fairly standard southern one spread evenly across the South West amd South East but slightly more pronounced in Berkshire area.

Thankfully I don't sound like a "ghastly oik".
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2021, 05:33:57 PM »

Oh interesting, I always get Yonkers/New York on the US quiz because my English is much closer to British English. I figure I speak with basically a generic-but-not-really-placeable South of England accent/dialect when I speak English, but when I did the test I got:

Way off. Your answers didnt fit here at all.

[image]

Which is closest to... what, the South of the Midlands? I guess that's closest to generic Southern with the odd northern/Scottish or mid-atlantic influence.

So I'll go with the original answer. When I speak English, I sound as if I come from the South of England, but with a generic and untraceable accent; When I speak French, I have a mild Swiss, or specifically Geneva accent; and when I speak German, I have a pretty thick French accent. It's only the last one that is really obvious though.

Anecdotally, something I’ve noticed with younger French speakers living here who speak only lightly French-accented English is that they often have a hint of Cockney/‘Estuary English’.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2021, 05:52:31 PM »

Not unexpected Cheesy
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2021, 06:51:41 PM »

Well, the three cities most similar to my accent are supposedly Baton Rouge, New York, and Pittsburgh, and I spent most of my life in Los Angeles. And there you have it!
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2021, 09:31:15 PM »

The British one was a wash, Birmingham and Southeast England. For reference, my patrilineal line comes from Yorkshire.

And, as always, I sound like I’m from a bit farther south in the Central Valley than I am. This time, it gave me Modesto, Fresno, and Bakersfield, rather than Sacramento.

My least similar were Jersey City, Yonkers, and Newark. This is more variable; I’ve gotten New Orleans before.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies