Why do so many think God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:50:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why do so many think God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do so many think God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving?  (Read 3033 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: February 15, 2017, 11:51:29 AM »

I can only speak for myself, but if there is a God, He/She/It/Whatever would have created time, space and matter; Its very nature would have to be beyond the concepts and ideas we use to describe Its creation.  It's really pretty simple that such a (what-I-believe-to-be) logical conclusion would lead to thinking God is all-powerful.  As for all-knowing, I think that "stereotype" (not the best word) comes from the idea that God would have to be outside of the realm and constraints of time and therefore not be bound by its finite nature; It would have access to any moment - past, present or future - at absolutely any time.  The logical conclusion of this is that It would know the future and, therefore, "everything."  As for all-loving, that just has more to do with having faith, I guess?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 10:52:52 AM »

So many people, including even atheists arguing the problem of evil, seem to think that God (if God exists) needs to be:

1. all-powerful (omnipotent)
2. all-knowing (omniscient)
3. all-loving (omnibenevolent)

Why?

Beyond scriptural reasons, this is the definition of God. Otherwise, God would just be a fairy tale. You could say Zeus was God. There would be no reason to have only one, because if God isn't all-powerful, then there could be another being like him that shares power.

This is NOT the definition of God.

You have a very weird "all or nothing" approach, like I described in my OP.

I can only speak for myself, but if there is a God, He/She/It/Whatever would have created time, space and matter; Its very nature would have to be beyond the concepts and ideas we use to describe Its creation.  It's really pretty simple that such a (what-I-believe-to-be) logical conclusion would lead to thinking God is all-powerful.  As for all-knowing, I think that "stereotype" (not the best word) comes from the idea that God would have to be outside of the realm and constraints of time and therefore not be bound by its finite nature; It would have access to any moment - past, present or future - at absolutely any time.  The logical conclusion of this is that It would know the future and, therefore, "everything."  As for all-loving, that just has more to do with having faith, I guess?

Maybe God didn't create space/time/matter/energy. Or necessarily be "outside" of time.

From a Biblical perspective, it's basically axiomatic that God is all-powerful and all-knowing - though it's important to note that in the triune godhead, the Word voluntarily took upon as part of humbling a relinquishing of total knowledge while on this Earth in Jesus's ministry, hence why he said he didn't know the time of his return (as part of the hypostatic union), however Jesus became omniscient when he was glorified after the Ascension.  With respect to God being all-loving, this is the toughest, but it's pretty clear.  God is love, but his vision of love is different than what we see.  Why?  Because God is perfect, and as such, he can't stand sin.  It's like a leaf and fire:  they're two different natures.  Sin repulses God so much, because he loves holiness....so yes, he is all love, but because he is love, he must hate sin.   So how can an all-loving God send people to hell?  Because sin is an utter affront to his holiness, and true love from a godly perspective demands holiness.

It's NOT axiomatic, Biblical or non-Biblical, so many just assume it is.

Then, as far as how God is conventionally defined, that would no longer be God.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 08:48:43 PM »

Beer, putting faith and personal stuff aside, the entire reason to believe in a God/higher intelligence/whatever you want to call it is to explain reality.  For the vast majority of people, the Universe creating itself out of nothing isn't a satisfying explanation.  A God that didn't create our physical reality (and therefore not outside of time and space) isn't any more satisfying.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies