Why do so many think God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:36:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why do so many think God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do so many think God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving?  (Read 3027 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:07:56 PM »

Thanks for answering the question. Again, I would argue under your definition, which says that God is a "supreme being", that being supreme necessitates being all-powerful and all-knowing, or else you are not necessarily supreme. All-loving is a trickier one and I concede God may not be all-loving, but I would argue that being all knowing implies all-loving, since it means God knows the feelings and pain of each person.
Supreme to everyone else, not able to be defeated, but not necessarily all-powerful or all-knowing.

Let's say it turns out that "God" is real but only concerned with souls... the one who created immortal souls for each of us at the moment of our birth/conception because "he" loves us, whose power keeps them undestroyed after death out of love for us, and who judges us and says following Jesus is necessary to have a pleasant afterlife. Would you tell this supreme being "sorry, I'll follow you I guess, but you're not God"??

You can't undo an entire theological system with a "let's say it turns out". It doesn't just "turn out". Christian (I'd even like to say Abrahamic, but I'm less sure here) Theology works because it's based on a set of doctrines that make it a coherent, meaningful system of thought. You can't relax some of these doctrines and just expect the rest to hold. If you want to argue, contrary to a 2000-years-old philosophical thought, that some parts of Christianity hold without God being omnipotent, omniscient and benevolent, the burden of proof is on you.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 06:27:06 PM »

There's no proof of God anyways. And in my personal beliefs, I already reject the idea of hell.

Good for you?
The post I was responding to:

"You can't relax some of these doctrines and just expect the rest to hold. "

Huh? Eternal damnation is one of the doctrines that's very much in discussion among Christians. Omnipotence, omniscience and benevolence aren't, and there are reasons for that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies