Why do so many think God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:24:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why do so many think God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do so many think God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving?  (Read 3023 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: February 15, 2017, 05:23:01 AM »

I don't think the Christian God has to necessarily be all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving.

(and to your specific points, you can see everything under the clouds, and boundless understanding, without being all-knowing, God can make anything that is *possible* happen... they could be metaphors or hyperboles to make a point, etc.)

And an aside, not a response to anyone, I came here to post:

Not every religion sees our relationship with God as a loving father, or even a father at all. Some see God as only a ruler, or only a judge, or a creator who has abandoned his creation since then just to watch it unfold. Some believe God is more like a Mother, or an embodiment of life and nature. Sometimes a specific people have believed God is only for them, they are the chosen people. Other times people believe God is for everyone. In more ancient times, people have believed there is more than one God. Sometimes God is the absolute goodness, sometimes God can act very human and act in a grayer area. All very different views on our relationship with God.
Christianity says God is the loving Trinity, three persons in one God, all humans are made in his image, and we have to restore our relationship with him. (I might be off on these other ones, please correct me if I am). Islam also believes God (Allah) is benevolent, and we should all submit to the good master. Judaism believes it has to fullfill its ancient covenant, or promise, to God that Moses gave as their Law.

Yet everyone usually focuses as God as the definition of those 3 qualities.

Which would come as a suprise to present day adherents of the worlds third largest religion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies